America: The Melting Pot Of The World

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Peace-Phoenix, May 19, 2004.

1. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Does it not worry you that America was once called the melting pot of the world? Does it not worry you that the collective result of all the world's cultures, languages, religions and peoples is the election of a primitive warmongering ape-man?

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I always considered it more of a tossed salad.... :) Because, though there are many cultures mixed together, they still maintain their individuality (to a point), instead of conforming completely and disappearing into a pot of goop.

That crazy ape-man is from Texas. Texas is different from America. They have lots of crazies that think Texas should be it's own country and they live up in the woods and take hostages and have shootouts with police. Have you ever seen deliverance? Plus, I'm sure American's are the minority in Texas. It's mostly Mexicans. Not that that's a really bad thing....well....sort of....don't think I'm racist. It's just that saturating an area with immigrants and illegals takes jobs away from the people that were there first and have to pay taxes, etc.....

Anyway....Dubya is in his own world. Please don't judge us by him! Jesus didn't come to America in a dream and tell us to bomb the world....he only came to George Bush. :)

3. Megara

Megara Banned

America used to be a melting pot...the italians and germans and irish who came to this country conformed into "americans."

The new form of immigration is people setting up their own freaking little irans in the US..its quite disturbing.

4. Peace-Phoenix

Yeah I agree, organised religious fanatacism within America is on the rise and it is deeply troubling. You only have to look at your president....

5. Megara

Megara Banned

while i do find that disturbing..i find the reverse just as damaging....what the atheists have done and are doing to our country is atrocious. It is absolutely NOT what the our fore fathers intended.

6. Peace-Phoenix

Please elaborate, what do you feel the athiests have done to your country? Bearing in mind that about 75% of Americans claim to be Christians and around 95% claim to follow some religion or believe in some form of higher power....

7. Megara

Megara Banned

the constitution reads freedom OF religion..not freedom from religion. I see no problem with allowing christmas tree decorations in schools...as long as mnorahs(sorry if i butchered the spelling) are allowed, and that of any other religion. I dont see this as a violation of church and state. The US government is not setting up a state religion by allowing religions to be acknowledged in school. As long as NO organized religion is banned from decorating for their holiday.

There was also an instance in california not too long ago where a town in california, which was 99% christian, was forced to remove a cross from a town emblem because an atheist couple was against it. I dont see this at all as a violation of church and state.

8. Peace-Phoenix

Decorating Christmas trees isn't actually a Christian tradition. It was a pagan tradition to decorate trees, one which was adopted by the Christians when they spread through Europe as a method of converting the pagans to Christianity. The same is true with easter eggs. But I agree with you, I think all religions should be free to practice as long as they are not harming anyone else, equally anyone should have the right to turn their back on religion....

9. Megara

Megara Banned

i know, which makes it all the more ironic that its not allowed.

And i agree...no one should be forced to believe anything they dont want too. I dont see it as unreasonable that people can be subjected to decorations of other religions. There is a clear violation with something like prayer in school..but a christmas tree on the wall isnt, imo.

10. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I am so pissed my reply was lost! Grrr

11. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I agree with Sal and HappyHaHa. Some melting pot...

Though it's more diverse than some other places.

12. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Reminds me of a quote from the evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins:

"The population of the US is nearly 300 million, including many of the
    best educated, most talented, most resourceful, humane people on earth.
    By almost any measure of civilised attainment, from Nobel prize-counts
    on down, the US leads the world by miles. You would think that a country
    with such resources, and such a field of talent, would be able to elect
    a leader of the highest quality. Yet, what has happened? At the end of
    all the primaries and party caucuses, the speeches and the televised
    debates, after a year or more of non-stop electioneering bustle, who,
    out of that entire population of 300 million, emerges at the top of the
    heap? George Bush."

13. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

DO you think he'll get reelected in November/December/whenever it is? Because I really don't think you can get much stupider than that.

14. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I don't think he has a gnat's chuff of a chance of getting re-elected. Especially since he only just scraped in with fewer actual votes than Gore to begin with. A leader's popularity goes down, not up. But then, we must never misunderestimate the stupidity of our transatlantic cousins ... no offence!:p

15. Summertime

Summertime Member

Bush seems to have a surprising and worrying amount of support in America. Obviously most of the people on these forums won't vote Bush, but I think he still has a substancial support base.....

Summer. xx.

16. Megara

Megara Banned

depends how iraq is in october.

If iraq is alright in october, its 4 more years of bush...if iraq is a mess...4 years of kerry. There wont be any other factor in it, IMO. There are people against bush and for bush who have already decided how they will vote. The swing vote will decide on how iraq is doing

17. Merlin

Merlin Member

"The population of the US is nearly 300 million, including many of the
    best educated, most talented, most resourceful, humane people on earth.
    By almost any measure of civilised attainment, from Nobel prize-counts
    on down, the US leads the world by miles. You would think that a country
    with such resources, and such a field of talent, would be able to elect
    a leader of the highest quality. Yet, what has happened? At the end of
    all the primaries and party caucuses, the speeches and the televised
    debates, after a year or more of non-stop electioneering bustle, who,
    out of that entire population of 300 million, emerges at the top of the
    heap? George Bush."[/QUOTE]

That really sucks. That clearly shows there's a big problem with the voting system. I really hope Bush isn't re-elected, but I hope he isn't replaced by another complete turkey. I hope that, given all the wars the US has been in recently, that it will initiate a new peaceful generation in the US, and a new president in favour of peace, much like the Jimmy Carter era. One thing is for sure: a lot more Americans are starting to speak out against the government. That's a really positive sign of change I think.

18. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

showmet, you underestimate the power of the "spin", what is on the TV at the moment, and the outright gullibility of the (sad to say) majority of the people in the USA, quite a few of them college-educated.:(

If the puppetmasters roll out Osama Bin Laden (I think they already have him, BTW), then Kerry is in trouble and we will see more "You Go W" bumperstickers on the back of SUVs and minivans. It really is sad over here.

Oh, yes. None taken.:p

19. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

not america related but in birmingham (uk) last christmas there was an incident of a charity shop having to remove christian related cards with the cross etc on because of something to do with it being complained about...infact i seem to remember other religions didnt mind it, but i cant remember that clearly. either way in a country that is majority christian and thats our 'national religion' or whatever its called (sorry for vagueness lol) it seemed completely wrong to deny people of that faith what is important to them, as other faiths and races celebrate their ceremonies and theyre not stopped e.g. chinese new year etc. we should all be allowed to celebrate our own celebrations. hm... sorry, related back to your post about the christmassy stuff obviously lol

20. Iago

Iago Member

At least the Bush administration makes its foreign policy very clear, although some of its motives remain in question. I couldn't say the same about Clinton, sly old fox!