AMD Athlon 6000 dual core and cooling issues

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by jagerhans, Jan 17, 2009.

1. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

hi, someone using the CPU above ? did you notice overheating when doing hard computing tasks like video transcoding or montage in hot days? particularly on asrock logic boards ? thanks in advance

2. Adderall_Assasin

Adderall_Assasin Senior Member

How do you know it's overheating?

Yes I have solutions, but I want to gather more info before specifying.

3. jagerhans

the point is, after purchase and waiting for delivery i've read some reviews, and one of two claim about such issues so my question was: did someone else encounter overheating issues with it? is it really overheating-prone or it's just casual reports ? just to know if i have to start thinking about fixes like extra/larger fans, passive coolers, case modding, liquid cooling systems, icebergs, penguins.

4. Adderall_Assasin

Lol penguins.

AMD stock coolers are barely enough cooling. Usually, a good, glass-flat lapping and quality thermal grease/compound ('Arctic Silver 5' or 'MX-2') will fix. The stock coolers come with wayyy too much of that crappy grease. And yes, there is such thing as too much thermal compound. Really, I avoid the AMD stock coolers whenever possible.

Some processors produce more heat than others, regardless of operating frequency or voltage. This is more related to the "manufacturing technology", measured in "nm". The lower nm, the cooler or more efficient the processor is. 65nm is much better than 90nm.

I believe the only AMD X2 6000+ processor made was the "Windsor" core. The Windsor's used 90nm technology, which means it runs hotter than most other X2 cores.

There are several approaches to combating heat inside a computer. Let's start by checking what you already have.

1) What size case are you using? (mid-tower, full-tower, mini)

2) How many intake case fans are running, and what sizes? (not counting power supply or fans on the heatsinks)

3) How many exhaust case fans are running, and what sizes? (not counting power supply or fans on the heatsinks)

4) Does the power supply (aka PSU) have a fan?

5) Are you using the stock CPU heatsink, and has it ever been removed after first installation?

6) Is there a video card installed in a PCI-E, AGP, or PCI slot? If so, what model video card?

Download and install Core Temp to read the CPU temps.
    http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    (Note: AMD AM2 processors do not read the temperature correctly. There is a 10-12*C difference but I will help with that.)

Download and install Prime95 to stress the CPU for testing. This stresses the processor to produce it's maximum heat. It enables you to check how the computer will react under load. This way you don't have to wait until the problem arises again.
    http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

5. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

I dont care how you look it up but heat and electronics is bad bad bad.

If you skimp on cooling your an idiot! Never go with the least, step up, spend a little more on cooling and add toys later.

My quad core is running a heat sink that looks like a small block chev is mounted on top of it. It has 2 80MM fans bolted to the CPU cooler and covers half the MB and then I have 2 fans on the PS, a 120mm fan up front and 2 80MM fans in the back. I have a fan on my video card too and a hd cooler for each hd, heat sinks for the ram.

I run nice and cool (kinda loud) but cool.

6. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

Most of the amd's run kinda hot like assasin said it due to the contruction and the fact that there a bit power hungry, maybe you just got unlucky and brought a hotter then normal one or have install the heat sink wrongly. never hurts to have extra cooling.
    Lol yep my pc was noisy then i kicked out the dominator ram cooler now peace it restored.

7. Adderall_Assasin

Actually, some newer AMD processors use less power than most newer Intel equivalents. It just depends on what core it has. Also, you can reduce CPU voltage safely on some cores. Doing so will reduce heat and power consumption.

My Brisbane core stock voltage is 1.3v but will run at stock frequency with 1.1v. It overclocks like crazy too. I have ~50% overclock on 1.44v. It's a 2.1Ghz processor and I can run it at 3.125Ghz, so far. My daily setting is 3.003Ghz on 1.44v. Other settings for RAM and stuff are custom tailored. (Disclaimer, don't try to overclock unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.)

8. Rocklobster

Hehe my 45nm intel would curl its toes up at 1.45v although did have a shock when i set the over volt jumper and switched on only to be greated by 1.65v core. Cheap motherboards dont help coz your never sure there suppling the rite voltage or frequences 100 percent of the time.

9. Adderall_Assasin

This is true. Also, I've seen different PSU's cause different CPU voltages. When I replaced my PSU, the voltage setting in the BIOS was not changed, yet the voltage reading went up. Another variable is voltage droop. This occurs when a lesser quality PSU is put under mid to high load.

10. Rocklobster

Agree ^^^. Its suprising how many times you see it where quite good hardware is being screwed by a bad m/board and psu combo.

11. jagerhans

ok now i have the system and for now the cpu stays about at 27 C°, when the system is under heavy charge like when doing video conversion it goes up to 50 C° and the room temperature is about 18 C° . let's see what happens in summer ...