Amber ... Nature's Time Capsule.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dax, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Dax

Dax Members

images (2).jpg

This is amber. A gem but not a gemstone. Much sought after for jewelry. Its hardened resin from trees fossilized over millions of years. The most expensive amber are those pieces that have insects or leaves inside. Over 100 tons of amber was produced in forests in Northern Europe. Amber was once part of a tree’s immune system as when a tree is punctured it releases sticky resin which seals the wounded area.
    So amber is the hardened resin of very ancient trees. The majority of amber is between 30 – 90 million years old. In 2009 a 320 million year old piece of amber was found in an Illinois coal mine.

There is a lot of like “urban legends” about the power of amber. It was worn as a necklace as a remedy against a host of aches and pains. In fact even today some people still believe that it helps prevents the pain of teething. Its easy to be taken in by fake amber but there are a couple of tests you can do if in doubt. Rub the amber hard on a carpet until it is warm then hold it above a tissue. Real amber will lift the tissue by static electricity. It should also float it salt water.

Beach Ball Lady Balls likes this.
  2. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

have to be careful too, there is fake amber out there. I love the colour of it and am pro wearing a dead bug around your neck or in a ring. :). Although I dont wear jewelry for the most part, but have a few pieces for certain occasions.

Dax likes this.
  3. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020