Am I the only old hippie left in Alabama?

Discussion in 'U.S.A.' started by poor_old_dad, May 28, 2004.

1. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Please let me know.

2. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Well on my way.Not alone at all.You seem younger than yesterday,hehheheheh.

3. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

I am close to Huntsville AL, up north....and there are some hippies up that way. I just moved here and yeah, well, its not the most hippy friendly place, but its not too bad. I sure dont wanna live here for long though.

4. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

We're over here in Mississippi for the summer.

And to answer your Q from another thread. I don't know much about Redding, but I do know that Yreka is one of the more uptight Cali towns. I'd skip it.

Think Mt. Shasta, Mendocino (mendacino? i cant spell..but it's beautiful and it has a food co-op :) ), ......

5. poor_old_dad

To pritam: Bro', I hate to say it, but I'm not sure what you ment. Sounds like you're heading this way, right? I see in your profile that you're an organic farmer. Me too, small world. What do you grow. How's it trying to farm that far north. My growing season here is from 220 - 235 days. How's yours?

6. poor_old_dad

To Alexandria: Yea, Huntsville, I spent a few months there in 1968. It wasn't very cool there - lots of Army people. Sure is some beautiful scenery. Nearby mountains, lake, big river, lots of woods, etc. These days I'm raising shiitake mushrooms (along with a lot of other stuff), the University of North Alabama does a lot of work helping folks like me. You might want to check around there and some of the outlying area. There are a lot of Organic Gardening and / or Mother Earth News types. Good luck, keep in touch ...

7. poor_old_dad

To MamaTheLama: Or to Mama from Dad. (MamaTheLama, HHmmm..., I bet there's a story behind that name). You say you're over in Mississippi for the summer. Does that mean that after summer you're coming to Alabama?
    Thanks for the Yreka info. I have this long time pipe dream to get out of Alabama and re-locate to somewhere the politics fit my views. Fact is, I'm real well set up here. My grandfather got me started in organic gardening and I got into the "back to the land and set my soul free" long ago. I've been working and building up my organic farm for several years and it'd be hard to give up. But hey, we're hippies, which means (among other things) that we keep dreaming.

8. MamaTheLama

Nah..goin back to Cali in the fall ...Sonoma, wine country....hellish commute to San fran, yada yada.
    I've heard that 49% of San Francisco voted green in the last election...think I'd have to check up on that figure, but even the concept is nice. I mean, c'mon..if I told you that 49% of Mobile voted Green would you even need to look it up to know I was lying?
    Here's a question for ya..HOW am I supposed to keep the fire ants outa my garden without toxifying the entire area?

9. poor_old_dad

49% of San Francisco voted Green? Not hard to believe. 49% of Mobile voted Green - not so easy. But there is a supriseingly active Green Party in Alabama !!!! But don't get me started on politics, I'll go on for hours. Basically, the people of Alabama can not govern themselves. Roads, schools, hospitals, treatment of the mentally ill and voting districts are among the long list of things the state legislature should take care of, but the courts are who have to. Yesterday was primary day in Alabama. The turn out (if that's what you can call it) was 16% of the registered voters. Really bad, when you consider the low voter registration rate.

And now to something more pleasant - fire ants.
    My first suggestion is: If you have access to a portable steam cleaner, jam the wand into a bed, then hit the trigger. This will deliver a blast of steam down where the queen etc are. Guarantee it will work. If you aren't fast enough ( really calm and smooth are the keys here) you'll get a few bites. Whole action should not take 5 seconds.
    Also check the following. They'll tell you about the Texas 2 step. Not the dance, but an organic approved treatment.
    http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/stories/ENTO/Apr0703a.htm
    http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/HTML/FSA-7052.asp

The following is a great forum site, not hippies but still worth a look. This link will take you right to their fire ant page.
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0516013632255.html

Hope this helps, please keep in touch,

10. ben

ben Member

hey man just to let you know you got some company in anniston, i know how it feels to be trapped in alabama ;\

11. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

you know, I moved here from out of state and one day i was at this gas station to buy cigs and upon looking at my drivers license, the guy noticed i was from outta town and asked how i liked Al. I said "not so great, I am hopefully not going to be here for much longer" and he said " yeah, well, that is what i said when I got here. as much as i hate this place it has a strange way of sucking you in and keeping you here....trust me, you wont get out alive, i am serious" and it was sorta creepy the way he said it. It always stuck with me very clearly and now a long time later i am believing his words. I wonder why it is so hard to get outta here? What is it? so heres a question for you alabamians? are there any cool , must see places here? I hear mobile is a good place to visit. Hmmmmm.....I must say there is a small area of huntsville that is "hippie friendly" but the rest of it is just gross. No offense to anyone here. :)

12. MoonlightSilver

MoonlightSilver Member

I live in Birmingham...

13. warthog

warthog Member

edit out post

14. Misha

Misha Member

Hey, I grew up in Anniston. Had to get out so now I am in NY. I went to Saks High.

15. ben

ben Member

i know a few people that graduated from there.
    congrats on getting out btw :rolleyes:

16. scrap_rat

scrap_rat Member

We're holding our own in Camp Hill down near Auburn (Though the yuppies did stage a nice coupe of downtown Auburn spearheaded by the GAP.)

17. Hoon

Hoon Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. All of my friends and family in the past that have left this place always end up coming back. They always tell me the same thing "You'll never get out of this place alive" or "Your bound to forever rot in this hell hole." If you've ever been to Cullman you can definetly understand what I'm talking about.

18. scrap_rat

scrap_rat Member

++so heres a question for you alabamians? are there any cool , must see places ++here?

So what kind of places are you looking for? Personally IMHO Alabama is only as bad as the next state. None of them are perfect and this on happens to be home. Where I live we got some good shopping in Auburn, Montgomery and Columbus, Ga., great swimming holes out in here in the country, and the beer is cheap... Not to mention we're halfway between the mountains and the beach.

19. MoonlightSilver

MoonlightSilver Member

It's not the place, it's the people. But Birmingham has the Birmingham Museum of Art which is actually a great museum, Sloss Furnace which is this old furnace that is said to be haunted and they do this Halloween show there and sometimes there are concerts. The black church that was bombed during the civil rights movement is in Birmingham. There are also a bunch of cool parks, shops, clubs, restaurants, and concerts/dance/sports halls. We also have the Alabama Theatre which is really old and pretty and they hold like dance recitals or upscale concerts and stuff like that there. If you are bored, start looking up stuff in a phone book. You will be amazed at what you can find.

20. MamaTheLama

If ya ever do decide to move to Cali and if that move ever happens to fall on, oh, say November 1stish of this year, I'd be happy to split my uhaul with ya :sunglasse .

Man is it a slow summer day today.