Am I able to be a rasta?

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by T Swank88, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Jesuslife

Jesuslife Guest

A book they read is kebra negast

2. AcidConspiracy

AcidConspiracy Member

You sound like someone who has taken a first step in their spiritual path.

But, you are trying to BE something you are not. You feel the movement of that which we call the holy spirit, you see where you want to be, but you are not even moving yet to reach Zion!

Do this: be thankful to the creator when you do smoke your weed, don't let your mouth fear to speak what is true in your heart. The God of Abraham and Jesus is the same for the rasta and Jew and Muslim and all peoples of the earth. Keep in your mind to ask God to guide you, and focus on love for your brothers and sisters in the spirit, in all his churches.

You may never have locks or eat ital if you seek the kingdom brother you will find it

Peace

3. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

...with Jah :)

4. zombieboy

zombieboy Member

of course
    thatas what rastas do SMOKE WEED lol

5. Ras Roni

Ras Roni Guest

Greetings in the name of the Most High Jah!

Before I address your post, let me first apologize if I am breaking a gravedigging rule on this forum for posting in this thread. I'm new to this site and I’m not sure what the rules are for posting in inactive threads. But you seem really interested in Rastafari livity, and since I am a Rastafari, I wish to share my input with you.

OK, now to your post:
    I completely understand your hesitation with Christianity. It sounds like the Christians you spoke to belong to a more Evangelical sect. Institutional Christianity has become a corruption of the message of the Almighty and of Christ himself. It has become a system of corruption, perpetuating mental and physical bondage upon the world, horrifyingly, in the name of Christ!

There is no official ceremony or ritual you must partake in (like the Christian Baptism or Islamic Shahadah) to become a Rasta. But the process is not simple. One doesn't “convert” to Rasta, but becomes Rasta. Rasta is a growth process, like a child growing into an adult. Becoming a Rasta to its highest Ites (hights) could take weeks, months, or even years. I’ve been Rasta for four months, and I still feel like there is sooo much I still need to learn. It’s a complex process that is far from simple. It takes much study, dedication, and patience.

As far as tips…good god, I could write a book. :book: There’s so much to say that I could get into, if you wish. But for this post, I’ll start off with some basics:

- Study the words and speeches of Haile Selassie I: King Ras Tafari is central to I and I life. We live by his teachings, no matter what type of Rasta; whether they view His Majesty as God or not.
    - Listen to Reggae: Honestly my greatest teacher of Rastafari has been the reggae music. There is so much knowledge contained in the music. Some artists I would recommend listening to (other than Bob, Peter, and Bunny of course) would be:
    Luciano
    Jah Cure
    Alborosie
    Garnett Silk
    Ziggy Marley
    Damian Marley
    Messenjah Selah
    Gentleman
    Chronixx…
    I could go on, but these are great artists to start with.
    - Read some books about Rastafari: There’s some good books available on Rasta. One book, although not perfect, is “How To Be A Rasta” by Empress Yuajah. Although there’s some stuff she says that I disagree with, the book itself is a great starter guide. She also wrote a book called “White Rastafari”. I haven’t read it but I’ve heard it’s good. “Rasta Heart: A Journey Into One Love” by Robert Roskind is also a great book. I’ve heard good things about “Chanting Down Babylon: The Rastafari Reader”.

That’s probably the best info I can give you without writing a book. If there’s more that you want to know, feel free to ask.:)

Blessed love,
    Ras Roni

6. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

You forgot the part about having to hate fags.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think rasta's also can think for their own, manservant. Just like not all christians bash homosexuals because they might find a justification for it in the bible.

8. Manservant Hecubus

The homophobia is more about a cultural prejudice of Jamacians that got validated by Leviticus. Perhaps there are some Rasta out there that are fine with it - but I ain't never met one.

9. Asmodean

I did but they weren't from jamaica. Well, they weren't all blatantly supportive neither but choose to remain more neutral. As usual such prejudice seems to be as much cultural tradition than merely religious.

10. Manservant Hecubus

A stellar quote from one of Ras Roni's suggested listening/learning material.

"Rastaman don't apologize to no batty-boy
    If yuh dis' King Selassie I,mih gunshot yuh boy
    Gimme de whole ah de girls dem 'cause ah dem have de joy
    Inna de lake of fire me dash yuh boy
    Badman don't apologize to no batty-boy
    If yuh dis' Black people,ey,mih gun will shot yuh boy
    Gimme de whole ah de girls dem 'cause ah dem have de joy
    Inna de lake of fire me dash yuh...ahhoy!"

One love...unless you're gay!

11. Asmodean

I don't understand those artists like Siszla anyway. It seems more like rape of good roots and conscious lyrics to me. I guess to everyone their own. I can't stand most dancehall related reggae. Why not recommend Prince Far I and the like :sifone:

12. Ras Roni

Ras Roni Guest

Please, separate Jamaican cultural prejudice from Rastafari.

You just did...me. :cool:

What song and artist, please.

I'm aware that some of the songs by the artists I mentioned can sometimes be homophobic (Sizzla and Capleton are the main ones...), but the thing to remember is that, Sizzla and Capleton in particular, were hardcore dancehall artists (still are really) before they sang reggae. They're capitalizing on something in Jamaican culture. That has nothing to do with Rastafari. I wish they'd stop singing that nonsense, they give I and I a bad name. They're good artists without it...

Is homosexuality compatible with I and I livity? No, but that's not a reason to be bigoted or hateful.
    It's selective listening. Sizzla and Capleton were some of my favorites when I first started listening to reggae, and they do have songs that aren't homophobic. In all fairness though, Sizzla and Capleton were probably not the best ones to suggest to someone new to Rastafari; it can give off the wrong impression. I'm gonna edit my suggestions.

As far as Prince Far I, never could get into is music. I like the more recent stuff.

13. Asmodean

I needed to get into roots dub before I actually got into Prince Far I's songs and dubs ;) But when I got into dub I got into Prince Far I's stuff big time. So yeah, I agree with you as well

14. wabbey

wabbey Member

If you are a human being , yes you can.

15. whispered-dream

whispered-dream Guest

Going to reiterate what i posted on another thread