Am I a hippie?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Spuff, May 30, 2004.

1. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

I don't know whether most people would class me as a hippie. To look at, depending on my mood and the day, I'll look like a punk/goth/mosher (sometimes hippie ... I esspecially love tye-dyes!:) ) but I totally believe in peace, love, freedom and equality. I suppose my attitude is very 'hippie' because I'm mellow and never argue and never like to make enemies. But I'd also say I'm not a hippie because I eat meat (because I believe in the whole food pyramid thing and ... well, I enjoy it!) and a lot of things in my life are based around material things. But I so wanna be a hippie but I'm happy the way I am. I could always be an 'honourary hippie'! lol:p Plus, I think hippies are the best people!:)

2. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I think there are many different shades of hippie. Meaning, I don't think all hippies do/believe in all the same things.

If you're basically a peaceful, loving person, you're fine in my book. :) Nevermind those labels and classifications. :p

3. Spuff

Well, I actually don't know any hippies so I guess I've only seen the 'stereotypical hippie' via the media. I mean, I may not even look like it but I reckon I'm a hippie at heart anyway.

4. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I'd say the same thing as Ginge, and I'd add that I usually dislike labels but if I had to put one on myself I'd say I'm a hippie cause I follow a lot of the hippy philosophy, but, is there really 1 way to be a hippie? I hate all the stereotypes, that all came after it became a fashion... to me you can't be called a hippy for dressing like one only, and not giving a fuck about the beliefs... but you can be called a hippy if you look like Bush but have some hippy-beliefs...

What I prefer being called though is just Laety with a Laetyesque way of being :)

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

No, you're not a hippy.

6. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

ginge is right...

i know a buncha hippies who eat meat, including some on this forum. its about being true to yourself, thats what it comes down to.

7. HerbuhLovuh

HerbuhLovuh raa

Being a hippy is really easy to do.
    Unfortunately being an asshole is even easier, those damn government bastards! Or whoever is controlling them! Damnit! I am not controlling my mind!

8. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

To be a hippy, you only need to be one in your heart.

9. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I've stopped worrying about "trying to be" a hippie. The best thing I can do is try to be the best person I can, and try to evolve. There is a stereotypical image of a hippie, but many people on this site don't fit that image.

10. Spuff

Well, I wouldn't say I'm actually trying to be a hippie. I just feel that I'm a hippie at heart and wanted some sort of confirmation that what I was thinking was right and that I wasn't just thinking crap! I guess I would like to be a 'full-on hippie', so to speak, but I'm happy the way I am and I'm happy with my mind and the way I think. I suppose in my situation, I don't really fall under and kind of stereotype, which I think is good for me! I don't believe in stereotyping and wouldn't like to think that I fall under a category.

11. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Funny, people wonder if they are a hippie or not because of other people's perceptive of them. I feel like I'm just me and I often hear "you hippie". My daughter kept introducing me as "my hippie mom". Finally I told her to stop doing that because I felt like everytime she said it I had to go into what I was like what my beliefs were, etc etc. Anyhow, we all evolve over time. I didn't know exactly who I was til I was in my 30's and had experienced alot. Those experiences made me decide what mattered in my life and what I wanted to stand for. It's a good feeling now. I am happy with who I am. I'm very at peace with it. One day you will get to the same point. You won't question who you are you will KNOW exactly who you are.

12. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

didn't you originally post something about whats the difference between punks and hippies??
    searching about who you are is great, try and find it out for yourself instead of asking other people, for one people on here don't really know you even if they have read some of your posts, but also if your hinged on what other people think of you it'll hurt when someone judgemental makes the statement that your not what you'd like to be.
    the other problem is if you ask 20 different hippies what it means to them you'll get twenty different answers, find out what you feel is being a hippy, yes by reading and listening to others views but less on relying on their point of view, and at the end of the day if your idea of what a hippy is doesn't match that of another hippy thats fine, because you'll be strong in your beliefs.

S

13. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

are you a hippy?

do you pick at your genital warts or do you go to a doctor to have them surgically removed?

hippies pick at their genital warts

14. joe

joe Banned

I dont know if your a hippy, however
    if you are not a hippy, then you are an illegal alien on this site
    it is standard procedure that all illegal aliens on the site must be immediatly deported to certain parts of the united states or france.

15. Samhain

oh i was completely on the wrong track, didn't realise that being a hippy was that simple, so would you say that if youve never had genital warts your not a hippy either??

S

16. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

yes, if you've never had genital warts, you are not a hippie

17. Samhain

how about gentital lice and how do you go about removing them in a hippy way.

i never realised i had so much to lrean i must go out and catch warts tonight.

S

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the term hippie was coind by media in an attempt to demean a minority movement of mostly young people who questioned the morality of prevailing hypocracy. many of it's fallowers later went on to grow their hair long, wear peace symbols and smoke pot. this was part protest, part mutual recognition, part stratagy to resist being drafted into the armed forces. only later did mostly relatively young people who protested hypocracy come to be identified with throwing great orgies (whether they actualy did or not) which attracted the less commited of their peers to jump on the same band wagon.

so the question "am i a hippie" today is almost meaningless. the acid test question would have to be: "do you prioritise the avoidance of hypocracy?"
    needless to say there are people who do so without long hair, peace signs or smoking pot.
    what anyone calls anyone is largely in their own eyes as beholder.
    and of course anyone can call themselves anything
    but might look rediculous in some situations doing so.
    if you feel in your heart your values and priorities are ours, then they are and that's all there is to it.
    if it's something you put on like a costume or a persona, well that's exactly what it isn't.
    i mean either you're honest with yourself or your not.
    personaly i don't call myself anything
    but i believe in boycotting aggressiveness and encourageing people to permit themselves to enjoy whatever intillectual and or creative capacities they may happen to have.
    and yes i happen to like bell bottoms, peace symbols and the way long hair looks, though i've never been able to get mine to look that way. but again the superficial things are just that. boycotting hypocracy is the real deal, and really the only real deal about it.