Always tired, and wondering why

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by beachbum7, May 9, 2004.

1. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

Regardless of how much sleep I get, I seem to be tired quite often and usually when I have no business being tired. On average, I get a decent amount of sleep - usually seven hours a night. But often, I feel tired in the morning and today, while at work, I felt like I wanted to go back to bed. I exercise a lot: usually three or four days a week, but I don't have the greatest of diets.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who always feels tired.

2. blackeyedcrow

blackeyedcrow Member

3. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

I ALWAYS feel tired. I remember there was one weekend day when I didn't have any homework to do or anywhere else to be so I was feeling pretty relaxed. I went to bed at 4pm on Friday night (I ususally go to bed around 12-2am) and my mom woke up at 10pm Saturday night just to make sure I was alive. After that many hours of sleep I still wanted to die, I was so tired. I actually felt like I had been awake for two days rather than sleeping through them.

4. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

i found myself to be really tired and weak even after i slept for a long period of time and i went to the doctor's and they said i was anemic. i have to take vitamins everyday, which is good for me anyway. maybe you should try that if you don't already take vitamins and see how that works out for you

5. Fizzyliftingdrink

Fizzyliftingdrink Member

I used to feel tired quite often, and I got my blood tested and I was anemic.
    I started taking iron pills, I started to feel a bit more energized. Try to eat foods high in iron, and fruits and vegetables.

6. Kelly

Kelly Member

Same here, I always felt tired and ended up having anemia. Just get a blood test done and you'll find out if your iron count is normal. If not, you'll just have to take iron pills every day until your count is in the normal range.

7. beachbum7

I've never been tested for anemia. I've actually never thought about that. I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables. Now when I was living with my folks, I ate fruits and vegetables more often, but I haven't gotten into that habit. My breakfast is usually cereal, then spaghetti for lunch, and soba noobles and pizza bread for dinner.

8. minjeig

minjeig Member

if i was you i'd get checked for low iron. theres also something you can get for exhaustion but i've not really looked into that so i don't know if it seems all that healthy...

9. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Anemia is definately one probable cause. So is depression and something known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Along with checking your iron levels you should check these other 2 probabilities as well. I know when I'm depressed all I wanna do is sleep, sleep, sleep.

10. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

It may be that you just need what my Uncle Frank calls a "power nap" in the middle of the day. I sometimes just need to lie down for 15 or 20 minutes when i'm too tired to function properly and it really helps! They do it all the time in southern Europe, it's like a legal requirement! But don't sleep for any longer than 20 minutes or your REM starts to go crazy and u'll wake up groggy.

Also... just as an observation, you seem to be eating a lot of carbohydrates and i'd be concerned if they're all "white" products. wholemeal substitutes release energy much slower (and taste better too if u ask me!).

11. Andy73

Andy73 Member

You should eat more protien at lunch to promote alertness, and look at a glycemic index to make sure that the bulk of carbohydrates consumed have a low GI. Of course, too much protien can also cause fatigue, but it sounds like you are consuming too many simple carbohydrates and not enough complex carbohydrates in combination with quality protien sources.

Also take a comprehensive hypoallergenic multi-vitamin like TwinLab or BodyBalance.

Avoid eating a large meal within 4 hours of going to bed as it takes energy to digest; if you are expending energy in digesting all night as you sleep, then you will be tired the next morning.

12. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yeah, you're eating way too many carbs. you'll end up diabetic if you keep that up

eat more protein. eat your green leafy veggies and your cruceriferous veg's (broccoli, cauliflower). eat more often, and cut out the refined flours and sugars. if you insist on eating so many carbs, at least eat whole carbs like soaked oats for breakfast, wholewheat pasta, bread with all the seeds and twigs in it, etc... take a good multivite and get exercise and fresh air every day.

13. beachbum7

Thanks for your suggestions. I work five days a week, and when I work, I'm always working in the middle of the day, so for the most part I can't take a mid-day nap (I could do that in college). I come home from work at 9 p.m. three times in a normal week, and I'm always hungry when I come home, so I feel like I have to eat. I usually eat dinner within four hours of going to sleep, but my dinner usually isn't a huge meal.

I figured I should be eating more protein. What are some sources of protein? If I'm not mistaken, fish is a good source of protein. For awhile, I was eating fish every day, but since I wanted to be vegetarian as possible, I stopped eating fish. I do exercise a lot, and of course, I expend a lot of energy doing that. My big problems are what I eat at lunch and at dinner.

14. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

I've recently changed my Diet to include alot more fruit and my energy level's have soared as a result..i'm definitely thinking you need to take more care with your diet i was the same for years.i basicly only ate when i had to and found myself really tired alot of the time.so..Fruit fruit fuit!

15. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

so, you're looking for veg sources of protein? cause of course any kind of meat is going to be a good source of protein

non-meat proteins:
    beans and legumes (hummus, bean salad, veg chili with lots of kidney beans, veggie burgers, peanuts, tofu and other soy products, tvp....)
    nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, coconut, pecans, etc....)
    seeds (sunflower seeds, tahini, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, etc)

and then if you're not vegan there's eggs (excellent source of protein) and cheeses, yogurt, milks, etc.

16. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

When I have slept that much, I feel like I have a hangover. I think it's generally a bad idea to sleep more than 9 hours straight.

17. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

My hubby has this same problem of always being tired no matter how much sleep he gets. He had to go do a sleep study thing, where they monitored him while he was sleeping, becuase the docs couldn't find anything else wrong and "alert meds" weren't working.

It turns out that he has sleep apnea, which is basically where he stops breathing in his sleep. It's nothing serious, but it's enough to take away from the benefits of sleep. He is supposed to be getting a mask to wear at night so he can sleep right and not be so tired, but we haven't gotten it yet. I hope it works!

18. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

beachbum....

there's also protein in things like pees and spinach. :)

19. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

There are two types of iron: haem- iron and non-haem iron..the former is only found in animal souces.It is also more easily absorbed.Lamb is the one with the highest amount of haem -rion.When I have eaten some, I bounce out of bed the next day full of energy.B12 is also necessary for the absorbtion of iron.Best source, beef.

20. Andy73

Andy73 Member

A vegetarian diet can be just as unhealthful as a diet full of meat. Likewise, some diets that include meat are very healthy. Although vegetarianism can be healthy, it is based on dogma.

Vegetarian has become synonymous with healthy, but this is just not so. Only some vegetarian diets are healthy, and some diets with meat are healthy.

The real focus should be on balance and variety and obtaining the full range of nutrients through the diet, and only after this is accomplished should the use of supplements and the reduction of animal products be considered.

In general, however, consume more complex carbs than simple, more monounstaurated fat than saturated, don't eat more than 5oz of meat per day, and avoid high fructose corn syrup.