All in the Family

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Deleted member 159087, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Boy,the way Glenn Miller played....
    Anyone ever travel barefoot with their (shod) parents? Barefoot on the streets, hotels, restaurants , etc.? Such generational differences might have minimized such events, but there are always exceptions! Any stories, positive or negative?

Antony14 and edde like this.
  2. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I don't think Archie would have approved of Gloria going barefoot.

Hey da little goyle, put yer shoes n swocks back on heh......

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

when i went to hawaii with my parents i suppose i was mostly barefoot and they were mostly not. but i don't think anyone really thought anything of it.

4. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Sorry, i can't understand the relation to Glenn Miller and the TV series, as i don't know it, but through your question i guess it's about a traveler family with barefooting kids?

When we (brother and me) were kids, our parents often gave us the freedom to decide whether we go shod or barefoot. Not like a rule, but they just didn’t make a big deal about it. They usually said that there is a fabulous invention called soap that can be used to clean dirty feet, if someone made comments. By trend I was a bit more into barefooting than my bro then. In daily life it happened that we went somewhere and we kids hat no footwear with us (for example visiting someone or going to the hypermarket for the weekend shopping). But when we did travel longer they usually did care that there were some sandals or something in reach or at least in the car for example.

I remember one vacation trip to former Yugoslavia (now Croatia), I guess it was one or two years before the civil war there began and we changed our vacation destination. Parents thought they should show us Venice before it will immerse into the sea (well, it’s still there today …). So they booked a day trip by ship I guess from Pula. When we arrived at the harbor in the early morning it turned out that everyone thought our sandals were in the car, but actually they were not. So they asked if we would dare to do the trip barefoot, as elsewise we would need to cancel it. I did consider this as an interesting adventure, but my brother was a bit hesitating, so they said when we arrive at Venice the shops will be open and if necessary they will buy him flip-flops or so. Actually there was no need and we both did the whole trip on our bare paws. There were no real problems as I remember, but we didn’t use to go to luxury restaurants etc. then anyway. I recall a little discussion at the entrance of the San Marco clock tower, but finally they let us enter when it was clear that we just had no shoes.

Btw. Venice is really great for barefooting, and I did revisit it several times as adult and always did keep on barefooting, this town is a real barefooting candy (but you need to stand the disapproving looks of the inhabitants). I always think it’s a real sin to run around on the historical mosaic floor of the San Marco Basilica with shoes and ruin them.

edde, GLENGLEN, RT19 and 1 other person like this.
  5. edde

edde Members

When I was on holidays with my parents, I was always barefoot in the streets and in the hotels. There was no rules about it. I visited a lot of museums barefoot, I walked barefoot in the mountains, near the sea or in the big cities like Paris. I'm became a real barefooter after that. Love these memories.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    barefootbob3 likes this.
  6. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

I had a barefoot stay in Paris too as a teen, but this wasn't with my parents but as part of a school study trip. I remember you got terrible filthy feet then using the metro (subway). Later i was there again several times as an adult, and they seem to have enhanced the metro cleaning standards ;-)

edde likes this.
  7. edde

edde Members

Yes, I had the same experience. Maybe they have improved the metro cleaning standards but this city remains not really clean. I remember after one day barefoot my feet were really black and filthy, impossible to totally clean them after a shower.

barefootbob3 likes this.
  8. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

the Glenn Miller angle is from tv show All in the Family which aired in the early 70's. the patriarch was Archie Bunker- a racist, died in the wool conservative and called hippies long haired, hippy-type, pinko fag. so he would not understand going barefoot - something hippies would do.

the full lyrics to the opening of the show sung by Archie and his wife Edith
    Boy the way Glen Miller played,
    Songs that made the hit parade,
    Guys like us we had it made,
    Those were the days,
    And you know where you were then,
    Girls were girls and men were men,
    Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again,
    Didn't need no welfare states
    Everybody pulled his weight,
    Gee our old Lasalle ran great,
    Those were the days

9. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

For those that don't know LaSalle was an American car brand made and sold by the Cadillac division of GM. I had never heard of them until I watched the show and asked my dad what they were singing about.

10. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Thank you! Never too old to learn!

I found out there was a similiar german sitcom as well:
    Ein Herz und eine Seele - Wikipedia
    and both do base on a british sitcom:
    Till Death Us Do Part - Wikipedia

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  11. Antony14

Antony14 Members

I travelled with my parents and tried to be barefoot (they were shod of course), but they would not let me ( narcs

12. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

My parents hated my going barefoot, and constantly told me to put on shoes and socks. Finally, they gave up.

13. Antony14

Antony14 Members

Were they shod themselves?

14. Antony14

Antony14 Members

Wow! Your parents were not against bare feet, then, which is not typical. We're they shod themselves?

15. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

Sometimes, yes. Other times, no.

16. Antony14

Antony14 Members

I think it's not fair to ask someone to put on shoes, being unshod himself

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  17. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

I agree.