alkaloids and IPA

Discussion in 'Drug Chemistry' started by Ancient One, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Ancient One

Ancient One Member

True or false. ALL plant alkaloids are completely soluble in alcohol.

2. 36fuckin5

36fuckin5 Alchemycologist

No. This is a stupid question.

3. Ancient One

Ancient One Member

Perhaps ill be more direct, then, since you are somewhat excitable. Are beta carbolines soluble in alcohol?

4. sam&ella

sam&ella Member

yes to both...aqueous solutions of ethanol extract alkaloids.

5. Ancient One

Ancient One Member

It would be illegal to do till Im in south america, of course, but just hypothetically speaking, then, you can extract a dmt containing paste from chaliponga or chacruna, and a beta carboline maoi from caapi, and then capsulize these instead of drinking the tea. Correct?

6. nesta

nesta Banned

likely possible...but not the best route to go at all. NOT all alkaloids are readily soluble in alcohol, and not all alcohols will extract the same things with the same level of efficiency. example: psilocin and psilocybin seem to not extract into alcohol nearly as well as a solution of water and some type of acid such as acetic acid - according to the literature i'm familiar with, that is. i haven't tried the acid extraction with mushrooms, but i HAVE tried ethanol extractions and found them to be miserable failures.

if you want to concentrate the DMT and/or 5-MeO-DMT found in ayahuasca ingredients, a simple acid/base extraction has been proven effective time and again.

harmala extracts are already relatively easy to find through online vendors.

dont expect alcohol will always do the trick.