Alice's Restaurant Massacree 50Th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by newo, Nov 22, 2015.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

[SIZE=14pt]Yes this Thanksgiving is the 50[/SIZE]th[SIZE=14pt] anniversary of the Alice’s Restaurant Massacree.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14pt]It was on Thanksgiving Day in 1965 that Arlo Guthrie and his friend went to have Thanksgiving dinner at the church where Alice and her husband Ray lived, and decided to do them a favor and take out their garbage.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt][​IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]But when they got to the dump it was closed on Thanksgiving.[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

[SIZE=14pt]But they found another pile of trash off the side of the road and decided to add theirs to it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt][​IMG][/SIZE]

1 person likes this.
  2. newo

[SIZE=14pt]And went back to the church for a Thanksgiving dinner that couldn’t be beat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt][​IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]But Officer Obie found a letter addressed to Arlo in the pile of trash and asked them to come to the police station…[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

[SIZE=14pt]Where they were both immediately arrested.[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. newo

[SIZE=14pt]And Obie took they belts so they wouldn’t hang themselves.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt][​IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]And later in court in a case of American blind justice they were fined $50 and had to pick up the garbage in the snow.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Later on Arlo had to report to the Vietnam war draft where he was inspected, etc.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt][​IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]And when he told them of his previous arrest he was sent to the Group W bench with mother rapers, father stabbers and father rapers.[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. newo

[SIZE=14pt]And when asked if he’d rehabilitated himself he replied, “You want to know if I’m moral enough to join the army and kill men, women and children and burn their houses down after being arrested for littering?”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt][​IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Thus the army rejected him and he had beaten the draft and inspired a new movement, and all you have to do to join is sing along,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]YOU CAN GET ANYTHING YOU WANT AT ALICE’S RESTAURANT[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14pt]YOU CAN GET ANYTHING YOU WANT AT ALICE’S RESTAURANT[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14pt]WALK RIGHT IN IT’S AROUND THE BACK[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14pt]JUST A HALF A MILE FROM THE RAILROAD TRACK[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14pt]YOU CAN GET ANYTHING YOU WANT AT ALICE’S RESTAURANT![/SIZE]

1 person likes this.
  5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Alice​

[​IMG]
    Just around back...​
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I liked that movie...
    That littering some heavy duty shit man...

7. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

A creek out in the sticks not far from where I live was the scene of thousands of tires dumped on the banks, to avoid disposal fees. After a week long rain storm many of the tires migrated into the creek and then into a river that supplied water to 3 counties. Not only was it a huge mess, but some of the tires caused other debris to clog intakes to pumping stations which fried drive motors and ultimately cost over a million to set straight. Which was paid by citizens in the form of higher water bills. Litter is lame at any level.

8. MeAgain

When I was just a mere lad there was a Desoto dealer right up the road. When they'd put new tires on a car they'd just roll the old ones over the hill. This was a pretty big hill and it would take the tires a while to reach the bottom.

So when we were bored we'd get one of those old tires and roll it all the way back up that hill. It'd take over an hour to do this as it was pretty steep. Then we'd let it roll back down again through the cow pasture into the woods and finally hit the little creek at the bottom. It was neat watching those tires roll and bounce down that hill mowing over small trees and stuff.

About 25 years ago I went back to the site of the dealer to check out the barn. They used to store old Desotos from the late 40's early 50s' in the bottom and they had new fenders and hoods and stuff hanging from the beams. As a kid the cars were neat to sit in and sneak around but but now I realized they were probably valuable. Unfortunately the barn had caved in on them and there wasn't much left.

Not many people worried about litter and junk in those days.

9. newo

I hadn't intended for this thread to be about the evils of littering....oh well.

While I object to littering it seems to me a less complicated way of avoiding the draft than running to Canada, being a conscientious objector or pretending you're gay or sick. The good news is there's no draft now, so you don't have to litter to get out of it.

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I remember him most from his short stint on that hawaii show about the Byrd family

edit: i remember now it was called Byrds of paradise

11. MeAgain

Arlo used to breeze into town every year around Thanksgiving for a concert. Give or take a month.

12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I was 10 when this movie came out...it was a couple of years before it made its way to or tiny town theater....at the urging of my big brother I went and saw it......I think it played a huge part in who I became.....many of the scenarios of my life mirror parts of the movie.....I 'spose that's why Wikipedia says Alice's restaurant is a great first person account of that eras counter culture.......

movie was directed by Arthur penn...he also did bonnie and clyde with faye dunaway and warren beatty and little big man with dustin hoffman

13. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i am surprised no one has posted the song...which i have many times on this forum...trying to pass on the culture to the young hippies

all young hippies...this was life back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

14. newo

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

nice little anniversary concert being shown right now on PBS

16. MeAgain

Saw that.