Alex Grey

Discussion in 'Art' started by UTcolorchangn420, Jun 4, 2004.

1. UTcolorchangn420

UTcolorchangn420 Member

Anyone here like Alex Grey? I recently just found out about him and I'm looking into getting one of his books. Can anyone recommend Transfigurations over Sacred Mirrors, or visa versa?

For those who don't know who Alex Grey is, check out his website www.alexgrey.com. He's the one who did the artwork on Tool's Lateralus album. Check it out, it's a real trip!

2. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

i love alex gray. i first saw his work on the cover of the sci album, untying the knot...that is amazing. then i started checking out the rest of his work and i had to do an art project on him. he said that him and his wife eat hallucinogens to inspire their work and that some of his work can even be found on sheets of acid. i wasn't aware that he had any books out so i can't help you out on that one. but if you get one tell me how you like it.

3. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Yea ive seen his work on the tool covers. My friend is obsessed with tool and i did an alex greay inspired painting for my friend birthday. Its not great but it was arush job :S but he liked it :)

4. UTcolorchangn420

UTcolorchangn420 Member

Ya, if you search on eBay for "alex grey" you can get some blotter art. If I were making some blotter, that's what I would use, without a doubt!

5. UTcolorchangn420

UTcolorchangn420 Member

That's a great job, how long did that take you? What kind of paints did you use? Your friend is lucky to have you as a friend! :D

6. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

hehe thanks :) its only a4 size and its acyrlic, tell u what its almost impossible to get the fluid blending with acrylic paint cos it dries so quick.. but ive not got the patience to use oils :)

7. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Ah yes...Alex Grey. Love his work. :) I think my favorite paintings by him are: New Man/New Woman, Oversoul, Painting...and of course Theologue. Hopefully I will be meeting him soon. :)