Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World'.

Discussion in 'Books' started by Jimbee68, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Never read it. But I am buying a copy now (still waiting for it to arrive). And I am very familiar with the story. It is told and retold many times, by people who dread the ultimate end result of liberalism and political correctness. Oh, and there was a made-for-TV movie starring the late Leonard Nimoy that I did see once (although I got the feeling it wasn't as faithful to the original story as it could be).

My question then is, what was wrong with the story portrayed? Some people call the book an example of a dystopia. I don't think that is true at all.

Humans were very practical and reasonable. Revenge and retribution didn't exist, evil people were merely "sick". And when you died, they used your body for a practical purpose, reclaiming the precious phosphorous it held. I find that last one a little distasteful myself. But what the heck? Why not?

Could people's criticism of Brave New World just be people's wistful desire to hang on to old and dated moral systems? I think we would be lucky to reach that stage in our sociocultural development some day.

What do the rest of you think?

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

2. etherea

etherea mother of the idiot children

I think you should read 1984 and then compare the two different versions of a dystopian world.

3. There's also a lesser known sequel, "Brave New World Revisited". I haven't read it though, but I might one day.

Brave New World. I read that when I was in eighth grade or ninth grade while I was away at boarding school. I remember the classification system of people as Alpha Beta Gamma Delta and Epsilon seemed really unusual. I thought it was sort of mean. And why did they take soma? I can't remember, but the book was definitely good. :)

4. quark

quark Parts Unknown

“We” by Yevgeni Zamyatin is also a good one.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear voice of sexy

wait, leonard nimoy's dead? was this a recent occurrence?

i read brave new world years ago, but it really didn't make much of an impression on me, so i don't remember much of it. 1984 was way more interesting to me.

6. You're kidding, right? Yeah he is.

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear voice of sexy

^ no, i wasn't kidding. this one completely slipped by me.

generally i'm not that surprised to find out that older actors are dead, but i thought i had seen him make some relatively recent appearances.