Alcoholism/addiction Moderation Vs Total Abstinence

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Nov 27, 2016.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I drank because of childhood trauma , PTSD and since the F word seems to be allowed in the forum

FUCK THE MEDICAL MODEL.

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

*sigh*

well literally thousands of years of anecdotal evidence paired with decades of clinical research tends to support the idea that there are very strong genetic components at play when it comes to ALCOHOL abuse/addiction.
    to deny that is foolish.
    Does that mean that every person with alcoholism in their family are going to automatically become alcoholics? NO!
    BUT if you read some of the research it becomes very apparent that certain individuals with certain genetic makeups PROCESS ALCOHOL DIFFERENTLY and those genetic components are hereditary.
    Also bear in mind that alcoholism is unique and can not be compared across the board with other forms of addiction.
    Opiate, amphetamine and cocaine are addictive because they interfere with the natural production of certain neurotransmitters and dependence on the substance to "fill the gap" develops.
    and that all happens without one fucking single consideration over the persons psychological, emotional, financial or any other fucking aspect of their lives, it is a purely physiological response.
    Alcohol addiction does not function in the same manner

shoe, you are dragging a whole lot more shit into it rather than focusing on the physiological/genetic aspect of alcoholism.

ps, women process alcohol differently than men and it takes longer to process and the result is that alcohol is roughly 30% more damaging to females than males.

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Wat Dah Fuck up ur butt?

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

uhmm, shoescam.
    how 'bout next time just posting a poignant or conclusive quote and then post a link to the source instead of copying the whole fucking page...LOL

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Oh, as long as we are on the topic, LSD-25 has been shown to be the best treatment for alcoholism with a near 0% recidivism rate in individuals who received LSD in junction with therapy.
    Google Humphry Osmond.

Ibogain is the best treatment for opiate addiction, often ending withdrawal symptoms and ending the addiction in as little as one treatment.

imagine that, using psychedelic "drugs" to cure addiction.

6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Poop.

However,

There is no proof that poop is up there. Some "experts" say so but how do they know what's up my butt without actually doing a test to see?

7. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I saw that I pasted much more then I thought but the next poster who quoted it before I got a chance to edit.

Try this one
    7 Ways to Prove People Aren’t Born Addicts > http://www.rehabs.com/pro-talk-articles/the-best-proof-people-arent-born-to-be-alcoholics/

8. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

No longer are you possessed by demons, able to be cured by trepanning holes into your skull. No, now you have a “brain disorder”, another invisible force inside you acting on you to “cause” you to feel and behave in ways that are separate from who you are as a person, and we call this method of recording unobservable phenomenon…faith-based science. We can’t see it, but we just know it has to be there somewhere, because well, what the fuck else could it be? Unfortunately, the unseen, undetectable, psychiatric “brain disorder” is incurable. That’s right. You were better off when they were blaming the demons and boring holes in your cranium. Even back then, there is evidence that people survived the “treatments” and tried them again and again.

Psychiatry’s “treatments” often don’t work. Even the industry shills will admit to that; however, all logic stops there. They will then continue to preach compliance with the same ineffective course of action despite the fact that, the evidence from the past 50 years has shown that the treatments have actually worsened long-term outcomes.

Read this for more http://web.archive.org/web/20120607010903/http://bipolarbabbling.wordpress.com/

9. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Did the LSD repair the DNA ? Of course not.

Of course the LSD therapy works because compulsive drinking is an obsession of the MIND not a "disease" of the brain or broken DNA.

"The medical model portrays the mind as an object. It equates mind with brain and uses this assumption to justify defining certain thoughts, feelings, and behavior as medical diseases. It is like thinking that a model plane can actually board passengers and fly, or that spring fever is a medical symptom. It is pure imagination. Simply stated, mind is different than matter, or body, or brain, for the obvious reason that the body is an object and the mind is not. The body is known through the methods of physics and chemistry. The mind is known through introspection, communication and interpretation. The language used to describe the body is literal. The language used to describe the mind is metaphorical."

10. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
    ~ Aristophanes

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

*sigh*

I fucking give up......

it worked because it helped people deal with the underlying reasons for their drinking and more importantly it allowed them to understand what their addiction/drinking was doing to their families, BUT they were still physiologically addicted to alcohol.

there is a big difference between a physiological addiction to something and a psychological/emotional dependence to it.
    the problem is dumbfucks misuse the term "addiction" whenever the problem is actually abuse/misuse and not true physical addiction.

and recidivism for an alcoholic is different then for an opiate addict because of the genetically rooted biological differences.

12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

?????
    did you forget to take your meds again?

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I always wondered...(and figured I would give the thread legs) by asking how it is a mental disease if you can choose to simply not putting alcohol down your pie hole.

14. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Behavior is not a disease. Spring fever is not a disease.

Mind is an action thinking verb, brain is a thing noun. Blaming the brain is like blaming your television cause you don't like the channel you are watching. Blaming your car cause you drive it into ditches.
    Blaming my computer cause I suck at programming.

After decades of the multi billion dollar advertising assault by the psychiatric industry they even got the public to stop saying mind and to start saying brain.

"that song is stuck in my brain" ... People used to use the word mind.

15. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Dude ! You must be kidding. You win the dumbest argument for the genetic link award. Getting opiates means a doctor visit or finding a drug dealer. A beer or bottle is a walk to the store.

Easy to walk to the liquer store during a weak moment or when the waitress says "would you like a drink" and you say yes.

Never had a waitress ask if I would like a Roxy 30 with my meal.

16. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

your clueless

I'm done with this

17. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Dude I blew your argument out of the water big time.

[​IMG]

Cravings come and go, with opiates much larger chance they go before you finish acting on those cravings, the mental obsession, cause of the more time and effort it takes for most people to acquire them. Booze is right in your face all the time.

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

as I said, you are completely clueless when it comes to this shit.
    I'm tired of dealing with folks with IQ's below 90.

if you want to pat yourself on the back, be my guest, but you are wrong.

19. storch

storch banned

Between the ages of twenty-two and twenty-seven, I drank myself to as close as you can come to death without actually dying. One night I ended up at some restaurant with someone whom I was drinking with at some bar earlier that night. He called his AA sponsor who then came to the restaurant. I didn't know the guy was in AA. Anyway, I ended up going to one of their meetings the next night. I didn't go to another one until a year later after I had stopped drinking to save my life. Then I started going to AA meetings and kept it up for six or seven years. Eventually I didn't mesh with the people because they had some pretty fixed ideas about alcoholism. Like telling me that if I don't go to meetings, I'll end up drunk within six months . . . guaranteed. I equated that to religious doctrine telling me I would go to hell if I didn't get saved. So I stopped going to meetings. I also stopped smoking, and I started jogging and eating well, and was soon as healthy as a person could get.

Then when I was about forty-two, I had a glass of wine because . . . well, why not? It took four years for me to arrive back to the place where I was as close to death as you can get without actually dying. To save my life . . . again, I stopped. And I haven't had a drink since. Nor will I ever. Even though I'm a different person from who I was then, I'm not going to drink. When I look back at myself, I can say that the reason I drank was because I honestly couldn't come up with a good enough reason not to; I mean, we're all going to die anyway, right? So what difference does it make when or how? But it's a different story when you're actually at death's door.

As to the question of whether or not it's a disease, my intellectual self starts by considering just what is a disease anyway. But my more spiritual side tells me that alcohol filled a big empty hole in me, and I had a choice as to whether I wanted to fill it or not. Alcohol was the only thing that really hit the spot. I'm not going to sit here and tell others that it is not a disease. I have no desire to burden suffering people who have found shelter from their storm by getting together with those with the same problem. Why would I do that? All I know is that my need to drink was stronger than my need to stop. Every morning after, I vowed to abstain because it was clear to me that it was absolutely killing me. And I have a great force of will (if I do say so myself), but as soon as I felt a little better, I was off to the races, lying to myself about how I would stop when I should, like a normal human being, only to wake up the next morning not remembering anything past a certain time. How alone!

5 people like this.
  20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

The substance that I must avoid is amphetamines/cocaine/methamphetamine.
    I had easy and ready access to many types, from pharmaceuticals to all manner of clandestine products, most of high quality.
    haven't had any type of speed (aside from caffeine) in over 35 years, but if you laid a fat line of coke or meth in front of me or handed me some Dexedrine I would have a hard time resisting.

some substances can really get their hooks in you for life and total abstinence is often the best/only way to stay healthy.

1 person likes this.
Tags: