alcohol as bongwater

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by john_the_pothead, May 14, 2004.

1. john_the_pothead

john_the_pothead Member

I mentioned this a little while ago and a few people said it filters out more THC than water...

can someone point me somewhere reliable where it says alcohol filters THC? I'm really curious about this, I've done it a few times, and it seems to fuck me up pretty quickly, but i've only done this after I smoked with ice water or out of a pipe, so the high might've been from earlier.

I am doubtful, however, because water and alcohol behave similarly in regard to things dissolving in them, because they are both relatively short polar molecules... thats my chemical analysis of the myth...

anyways opinions or links would be helpful...thanks

2. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

THC is highly soluble in alcohols, but practically insoluble in water.

http://nepenthes.lycaeum.org/Drugs/THC/msds.html
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/thc_data_sheet.shtml
    http://www.totse.com/en/drugs/marijuana/bong_sci.html

Solvent polarity is not a black and white kind of thing. Both ethanol and water are classified as polar solvents, but water is much more polar than ethanol. Ethanol will therefore dissolve more THC (highly non-polar) than water will.

When you WANT to dissolve THC (making hash oil, for example), you want to use a non-polar solvent such as petroleum ether. Alcohols will dissolve THC, but they also dissolve a lot of unwanted, non-psychoactive junk.

3. ericf

ericf Member

The only reason I would tend to agree that it absorbs more THC is the fact that THC is soluable in alcohol but is not soluable in water. But considering the short period of time the smoke is in both... I don't think it would make a huge difference. If you are using anything stronger than wine... that helps explain why you got so messed up... huffing the fumes from the alcohol, as well as the pot smoke, would get you pretty trashed pretty quick... but I suspect you would come down (from the alcohol) after 5-15 minutes... :)

Anyway, water and alcohol act as solvents for very different things... THC is not soluable in both. Well, I've heard that you can get it soluable in hot water but I have never read anything reputable about it.

4. john_the_pothead

john_the_pothead Member

thanks alot...time to put an end to that

5. Ediction421

Ediction421 Member

When I used to be able to put up with it, I would put hard alcohol in my water pipe(Jim Beam tasted best) and keep it in there for a week, then take the shot(s) when I was sober and it would mellow me out quit nicely...

6. john_the_pothead

john_the_pothead Member

so there probably won't be a significant difference in the THC i'm smoking, because of the relatively short period of time the smoke's in the bong?

yeah, i can see how inhaling alcohol would mess you up...

I use vodka most often...I dont think i'll try anything much stronger because I dont want to lose potency AND i dont want my bong exploding in my face...that would blow...

I'm definitely not drinkin that shit though...thats disgusting...

7. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

"then take the shot(s) when I was sober and it would mellow me out quit nicely..."

Are you kidding?

8. Ediction421

Ediction421 Member

<---Savage

9. john_the_pothead

john_the_pothead Member

i'll run a little experiment, I'll smoke out of a bong with vodka as bongwater tonight without smoking anything else first...and see if i'm as trashed as usual

10. Ediction421

Ediction421 Member

You won't be...