Alaska Calling

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by cookiecache, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Sprout420

Sprout420 Member

I'm liking the way this sounds :) I've never used a chainsaw to split wood before, usually just use a maul.

2. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

Ha Ha Ha... No, cut to length with the chainsaw. Then, split with the maul. But thanks for telling me your hands fit a maul handle :tongue:

3. PhearHendrix

PhearHendrix Member

im down..right now..ill go..lol
    i really need to get outta here..
    im 18..and the summer is a great time for me....
    keep in touch

4. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

^^^^^^

i dont think the alaskan bush is the place for someone who fights their suicidal thoughts and always has them in the back of their mind.
    Suicide..ONLY relief??

nor do i think the OP would allow someone like this to come,whether said person thinks it may help them or not.
    no one wants to deal with that shit,especially in the middle of the alaskan bush..

youve obviously not came across a knotted up round that that was the only option..

i do on occasion find rounds that that is the only alternative as wedges and a maul just wont bust them.

5. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

I see some of you have no experience with temps in the -40F range? Got to plug in your car and get used to living where everybody looks like "Kenny" from Southpark. Ha ha.

I plan to be in the Yukon in the near future. Maybe I'll send over a rocket or something? :)

x

6. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

When I first got my homestead, I had been living in Fairbanks. It felt like I had moved to "the banana belt." Temps in my area here seldom get colder than -20 with most winter days being above zero. Okay, no palm trees are going to sprout here either, but it's much warmer than the -40 to -70 temps in the interior.

As to plugging in the car, umm no roads means no cars, problem solved! :auto:

7. Vana

Vana Member

What's those temps in celseus (spelling?). This sounds nice. Was discussing it with the boyfriend, the sort of thing we'd like to try. One of these days, maybe :) Right now, we're not as financially endowed to make the trek up there, plus purchasing equipment and the like. What's the gardening season like, and what do you grow? What percentage of food that is eaten is home grown, would you say? And you mentioned bears. Now, Alaska has grizzlies, right? I saw a cute little picture of what looks like a black bear (or brown?)... what kind of protection you got, or are the bears not so much of a problem? Problem or not, you'd still want to take precautions. What other kind of wildlife of that sort is there. Do you have bobcats or cougars? What are the hunting seasons like?

8. Sprout420

Sprout420 Member

i definitely have come across a knotted up round, i just throw those down the hill and find a better piece my friend!

9. Sprout420

Sprout420 Member

haha naw jk i dont waste, usually I use a wedge if im having problems

10. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

Well, let's see. The normal winter temps in Celsius would be about -5 to -15. 42 below is about the same in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The gardening season is from the last week of May to the end of September. A nice greenhouse makes things much easier, and extends the season. The biggest problem for gardens is not the temps but rather the rainy season starts in mid-July. Many crops perform much better than one would think because of the nearly endless sun light of summer. (for more exact information see the link posted on page 2 of this thread for the Alaska COOP extension)

The bear population is mostly black bears, but there are a few brown (grizzle) bears around. I do not feed the bears or encourage them to hang around the cabin, but it is rare to go more than a week without a visit. Bears can almost always be chased away by yelling, but it would be foolish not to carry bear spray and a firearm. Some of the other wildlife includes: Moose, lynx, martin, grouse, squirrels, otters, beaver, weasels, porcupines. There are no snakes or skunks, nor are there any poison spiders.

11. Funkateer

Funkateer To swing on the spiral

is there any skunk out there? ;)

12. Sprout420

Sprout420 Member

It's alaska! look for some thunderfuck!

13. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

There are no skunks in my part of Alaska. As to thunderfuck - No electricity means... no grow lights! :willy_nilly::svengo: Oh no, how will we survive!!! :rofl:

14. Sprout420

Sprout420 Member

almost 24 hours of light! :D:D

15. Sprout420

Sprout420 Member

haha jk jk

16. Spiritchalist

Spiritchalist Member

I really like the sound of this.

In 450 days, if you're still on this forum, I'll definitely at least come up for a visit. Probably stay at least a couple years. The wild just calls to me.

17. Spiritchalist

Spiritchalist Member

Would you mind us growing 'herbal remedies' in an out-of-the-way, difficult-to-find sort of manner? What sorts of foods do you have growing already, and what major staple foods are easily growable there?

18. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

See post #1 about illegal activity. As to staple foods, the list is longer than I could list here. Potatoes grow very well. Many veggies get very large in the long summer hours.

19. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

I have begun to post videos showing my homestead and the backwoods skills that can be learned there. Most of these videos are from my DVD sold in 2004 (perhaps the first DVD ever made by oil lamp light).

Homesteading chickens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn0bT6_Uh1I

Using small aircraft to travel to remote areas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWJDm-O6IAA&feature=channel

Heating with wood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAcsxRB9vdw&feature=channel

Black Bears around the cabin. This is a low resolution version of 35mm film footage. Some is with a natural background, the rest is on a Bluescreen set (used for composting with other footage in post production) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJF98HEDWG4&feature=channel

I have several more videos to post, including dog sledding (I was a guide/musher for a tour company that uses dogs on a glacier, and flies everything in and out by helicopter) and packing with dogs, keeping a spring open in winter, and homestead laundry day.

Please let me know what you thing about the videos and lifestyle.

20. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

how do you get the eggs outta that lil bitty box? lay down on the ground and reach in??

are you still married? i havent seen you mention anyone but yourself in your posts.. kinda odd that someone has a life partner and makes all these posts and never speaks of her..

only 5 cords of wood a winter?? wow we go through between 5 and 6 cords a winter here.. how big is your cabin??