agoraphobia

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Boogabaah, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

why does it always seem to win?
    i have been arguing with myself for 3 days now about doing something today.. and well.. i just can't go. staying home inside with all the doors and windows closed just seems like a better idea.

2. Dayzed Dreamer

Dayzed Dreamer Member

Do you practice any meditation or yoga? My friend does and it helps her to relax and go to the grocery store atleast... although not for very long. But it is a huge step for her.

3. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

i try.. but i get so distracted.. i do stretch daily.. but it's not yoga. i even looked into taking a yoga class here in town.. but got to thinking i don't want to pay all that money just to panic and not go.. :eek:

4. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

im the same boogs. i dont want to leave my house. im scared to even open the door and check the mail at times.

5. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

but i force myself to get out. the longer you keep yourself in, the worse it gets. to the point where you cover up all the windows.

6. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

i don't know. i don't wanna do it. i'm just gonna wait until thurday and have someone help me.. :eek:

7. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

yeah, its easier with a friend. sometimes they just have to drag you out. ive developed agoraphobia from not having a car for so long. im SO used to being at the house, that leaving it terrifies me sometimes. like its my shell.

8. kpbluey

kpbluey Member

I can soooooooooooo relate!

For 6 years i used to hide in the house, even tho i lived on a farm where hardly anyone was. not even anywhere near a road, i would hide in the house and lurk out the window at the slightest sound of a car or truck or person, what ever. It would completely freak me out and embarressingly i would hide under my bed for most of the day!

I remember my parents back then wanting me to take out the trash, which was like this long walk to the driveway and back ( like 150 metres), walking to there meant i would have to be out in the open where my neighbors could potentually see me, i just couldnt do it so i would hide the trash each week, until there was like this big pile up of them and my parents found out lol. Then i had to force myself to the bin each week ( my parents didnt know what was wrong with me, other than social phobia) but each week it got easier and easier until 6 months easily past and i was no longer afraid to be out in the open , i felt free and alive, proud and like i had climbed a mountain.

I used to tremble, have severe anxiety attacks and so on just to go into town, i would take my mum with me and would end up hiding in the public toliets ( like you do), but then one day, after meeting someone on the net, i started to push myself and push myself and altho it was hard, the benefits i got were amazing and its like im a completely different person, which freaks me out a bit actually. It open up doors for me, i went on a plane on my own, into a huge city on my own, even met strangers and rode trains on my own in places id never been, id never of dreamt of being able to do those things if i didnt push myself!

Ask yourself why you want to go out? Think of what benefits you get from locking yourself away, and then tell yourself that you you can do anything you put your mind to.

Cognetive Behavoral Therapy is the best thing that can help you on your journey to getting better, it helps you to change your thinking and question your beliefs that limit your life and to take action into a more forefilling one.

Write a list up of your goals, what you want to be able to do, where you want to see yourself in the future and get all pysch yourself up, give yourself tasks to do each day that will contribute to them. :)