Ageism?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Libertine, May 26, 2006.

1. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

but your whole argument is that experiance isn't a factor.Now an older person is"more likely" to have experiance.That is exactly the reason we protect the kids.An older person is "more likely"to have the advantage.

2. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

Who the FUCK said "experience isn't a factor" in anything? I said an older person is MORE LIKELY to have more experience. But, that doesn't mean just because someone is OLD they are more knowledgeable and capable.

Hopefully this clears up your misunderstanding between "age" and "experience in a particular field" and your constant attempts at creating a "straw man" argument that isn't there.

3. Libertine

Again, you are ignored the "legal autonomy" I mentioned and assuming that most younger people would stupidly ignore legal advice or rule out getting advice from people such as their parents (who MAY know more...or who MAY not).

And ignoring that the majority of contracts deal with services or money. Would you give a 12 year old a labor contract? Even if it were legal to? I some how doubt it.

But, what if that 12 year old was a movie star with a financial wizard of attorneys? Ahhh... an exception to the rule! A loophole!

Ageism is dead right there.

4. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

What is your argument then?You keep going back and forth.Some kids have the experiance they need.Some don't.You just want to take some protections away and put others in their place.Everyone should be allowed at least a brief period in their life when they don't fight for everything.Childhood is that time.You want to take that away?Put most of these kids on the free market they'll be eaten up.That or spending all their free energy trying to get by instead of having an oportunity to develop their thoughts and feelings.You know what a straw man argument is.I take it you've had some logic.Perhaps a little college?What if you didn't have that oportunity?Your dad could've had the mindset put you to work at ten.i was out at 15.Couldn't get work.i could have made money off the gays but wasn't into that.i panhandled and stold.Without child protection more kids would be living like this.i didn't need the right to drive.i didn't have a car.Voting,hell i was just worried about eating.

5. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I think you confuse need with require.

I need to call my elders for advice sometimes,
    my friends NEED my advice sometimes.

I dont require my fathers advice to make a
    decision, but it helps sometimes.

If 80 year old nervous, half blind old men get to run
    down pedestrians in their cadillacs, because retesting
    them is discrimination, then 13 years olds should get the
    same chance.

Hell, my 9 year old nephew can drive a Mack truck.
    Not well enough to be commercial driver, but he
    can get it up and down the road. There isnt a country
    kid here that can drive daddys 4x4 by the age of 8, and
    i am talking about driving it well too.

6. Libertine

I most certainly do NOT keep going "back and forth". *straw man*

No one is taking away childhood, pal. No one is allowing any activity to coerce them to do anything. You have completely ignored or choosen to misrepresent what I have said through this entire thread in an attempt to continue to rattle on about "experience" or "age" (which sometimes tie together and sometimes do not).

It is perfectly normal for a young boy to get his Dad's advice before doing something. Just as it is normal for a 31 year old man to get my Dad's advice. Or someone to get a doctor's advice or lawyer's.

My Dad knew more about cars and contracts than I did at 17, sure, but I knew more about computers and electronics than he did.

So, where's your argument?

7. Libertine

EXACTLY!

8. Libertine

Why do you continue to ignore the "legal automony" I mentioned? This, alone, smashes every single one of the below arguments.

And yes, when there is a loophole, an exception, ageism dies right then and there. At that moment.

It's all about circumstance and situation rather than age.

And again, most 5 year olds aren't going to run off try to get a job and pay their bills either.

Laws still exist, they are just not based merely on age. :D

Common sense would not vanish, just ageism.

9. Libertine

And they were likely fail, regroup, rethink their situation and ask for the proper help.

And the laws could be amended to place stricter controls on "contractual predators" without bringing in age as a factor. Everyone should be protected against them. :)

The "legal autonomy" is when a younger person would likely to declare themselves capable, and go before the law and be tested on competance, choose to enter classes, and apply for proper adulthood. Legally.

Like a driver's test, if they can pass...they are legally autonomous and responsible.

10. heron

a lot of 18 year olds run off an fail.

The same rules apply to all of us man. 13 year olds
    can drive a fork lift just as good as their fellow 18 year
    old drop outs.

Or, the could finish school, and go to college, same
    rules apply man.

I know 20 year olds that have the mentality of a
    10 year old, so why does he get rights and the
    10 year old with the maturity of a grown up
    doesnt?

Mentality should be a factor before age anyday.

11. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

do i sense a bit of hostility?i'll present my counter argument when you come up with one.One way or the other you're still depending on your dad.Many don't have that chance.Sure a kid could make it but why should they when the odds are they won't.

12. Libertine

Thank you. I couldn't have put it any better.

13. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

true,age is only a generic way of dealing with the problem.We're just playing the odds.That's about all that can be realistically done.There's probably better ways.In fact i'm sure there is.In the meantime this is the best we got.

14. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

no shit

15. Libertine

It's not the best we've got. It's only what we've allowed.

16. Libertine

Not ALL of us.

17. Libertine

I answered that. The process of legally autonomy. The process of a State program and test set up to recognize the person who can show themselves capable.

18. heron

My cousin is 20, and should never, ever be allowed to be behind the wheel of a car, but he is, cause he passed the test. Its a gamble, but just because he is 20, and can memorize a few facts about driving he gets to wreck, endanger his own life and others, and he does frequently.

As an added note, i would rather a 13 year old in a pressured or abusive life to be able to take his chances on his own rather than commit suicide to escape it. Which do you prefer?

19. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Banned

frum yoh postz it seemz like only du pigz know what iz duh best 4 all yoh, my little young peasantz.

20. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

Who do you consider a younger person?Now leave age out of your answer.Also what classes?That sounds like school.What if i fail your test.Do i lose my rights forever?
    No 5 year old is going to leave home?Babies are left in dumpsters.Look at brazil.Their killing were their street kids.Perhaps this would be a more effective means.