Age of consent?

Discussion in 'Free Love' started by nonco55, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Actually the age of consent in over half the states is 16 or 17.

18 is unrealistically high and begs to be broken (with real, devastating legal consequences)

Most ppl finish maturing at 15 and a half, so the most realistic age of consent would be 16.

2. Yazzz

Yazzz Member

See... I think you guys are missing the point. Age of consent is not the same as "mature enough for sex".

In my opinion the main issue is protecting people, who are definitely still children from a mental standpoint, from well...., us older predators. Think about how many women you know who have been fucked over by a guy for sex. Now imagine society giving free reign for a 28 year old to be hitting on a 15 year old and imagine how that scenario plays out.

It's too imbalanced. A 15 or 16 year old has ZERO defenses against a experienced late 20's or 30 something male when it comes to manipulation.

To me that is more of what the age of consent is about, not who's old enough for sex...

Or i guess what I'm saying is, you should be looking at it from a mental aspect, not a physical one.

3. Shale

Shale ~

Don't have to think about it.

My mom 14 years old. My dad 23 years old.
    (She actually hit on him to escape an alcoholic mom)

There have been worse parents. I did alright.

4. Yazzz

Yazzz Member

Well I am not trying to make anything personal but you'd agree that it's not ideal, right?

I know how this argument usually goes. I say people arent' ready for certain things until a certain age, then someone else says well that's the only way they learn so it has to start sometime, yadda, yadda... but still - it's a mental thing that we are talking about here, right? Not just - girl was old enough to be fertile.

It's not like 14 year olds and 23 year olds is a new concept - we've been doing it for thousands of years. Difference is, nowadays you can fuck the girl and walk away and there is no accountability.

Or vice versa, woman with young boy.

5. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've got to agree with Yazz.
    Look at it this way. Lets say that puberty hits at 12 for girls, 14 for boys (change those numbers to suit your guess.)

A 14 year old girl has been biologicaly adult for 2 years.
    A 23 year old man has been bio-adult for 9 years.

He has had twice as much experience lying about love & sex as she has experience detecting such lies.

Its great that Shale's father was an honorable man. But, I doubt that most 23 year old men who are socializing with 14 year old women are that honorable.

I think the AOC is more an issue of age difference than an absolute number.

6. Shale

Shale ~

Not my dad.

He was drunk and supposed to travel with another woman. He woke up around Memphis on the City of New Orleans and found out it was this underage girl he had crossed state lines with and he was scared shitless. He got a JP friend of his to marry them when they got to his hometown in Mississippi.

7. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I don't know really.
    People are biologically and intellectually/emotionally grown up at different ages.
    I think 14 is pushing it, though.
    16 sounds about right.
    I guess the majority of people should be biologically old enough and should be intellectually/emotionally old enough at 16.

8. Jep

Jep Member

The problem with all this is people are trying to set ONE number for something that is an individual variable. It is like trying to determine the exact number of days since birth that a child will walk for the first time. Ridiculous.

So many factors go into this. You can't set one age. Some countries and states have different ages of consent for different age-gaps. This is more sensible as it lets people do what is natural while protecting young girls from being taken advantage of by their much older, perverted professors.

Then there is the difference between having sex and bearing kids. Two different things. Most are ready to be having sexual relations ships long before they should be having children

9. KrowsKeeper

KrowsKeeper Member

10. gulfsouthdoug

gulfsouthdoug Member

if age of consent is based on the teenagers in question then 18 is a joke since in the usa the averge cherry is popped by 16 for girls and 17 for boys so statisically we all are raped

11. AlexMartin79

AlexMartin79 Member

Here in Canada the age is 16.

If you're 12 or 13, you can have sex with someone two years older than you.
    If you're 14 or 15, five years older.

Which I think is logical (although the 12 or 13 part still sounds really young). I mean, after puberty, consensual sex between two people of the SAME AGE shouldn't be punishable by LAW.

12. shygirl16

shygirl16 Guest

i'd like 16 but by the time they change it, i'll be 18 :(

13. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

My daughter has only just got her mense at 15.

It's interesting that there has been no discussion/differentiation between AOC for hetero sex and homosexual sex.

IMHO while agreeing that there can be vast differences in people's maturity, I think it should be 15 with no more than a 4 year difference until after 18.

Here in Switzerland they are producing (& distributing) 'small' (1.75inch diameter) condoms for 12 year old boys because of the big increase in STDs in 12 year olds. So that tends to knock this discussion on the head doesn't it? Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted?

To come back to my query re, gay sex - I think that while some people recognise themselves as same sex attracted early on, others reach that conclusion, or that they may be bi, later. So maybe the Same Sex AOC should be older, 18?. But here you run into problems - it is not uncommon say for a 14 y o boy to play together with an 11 y o boy for example.

So what ideas - society should protect young boys from advances from older men, but at what point should it be recognised that some boys like older men and vice versa?

Simon

14. Amyoxl

Amyoxl Member

Is it any less common for young girls to play together? I think not.

I'm pretty sure that the ages for hetero-sexual sex apply to homosexual sex as well.

15. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

sorry Amoxyl - too much male focus, of course I should have included girls.

As to AOC for gay and ST8 - I think you'll find that it varies in different countries.

Simon

16. The Center

The Center Member

Well, since a twelve year old once tried to get me in bed, seriously, a twelve year old, I would say 14. BUT, there must be an additional law. Anyone over 18 cannot have sex with anyone under 18 themselves, but if they do, it is up to the person they had sex with to say if she wants him to be listed as a sex offender or that he must just get some prison for a while and some therapy, without ruining his entire life afterwords... She must also receive a bit of therapy, from a therapist of her choice. Anybody under 14, consider it rape... (Unless the other party is under 14 to...)

17. RiffRaff

RiffRaff Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I like the 2 year difference clause. Anyone under age 18 can have sex with anyone, as long as they are not more than 2 years their junior. Over 18? Anything goes!!

18. LeviathanXII

LeviathanXII Member

At 18 here, you can have sex with anyone, vote for your leaders, gamble away all your money, drive, and die for your country. You just cant do it drunk ;)

I personally think 18 is a good age, but besides, its irrelevant, I was having sex and drinking at 13, that doesn't mean it was legal, but tons of people do it anyways.

Depends where you are, the age of consent for homosexual male sex in Canada is 2 years older then the age of consent for heterosexual sex. I understand why considering I cannot imagine 16 year old guys that are having sex to understand how not to damage each other.

19. Fastswitch

Fastswitch Visitor

Bob Hope is rumored to have ended a radio program years ago by saying, "When roses are red, they're ready to pluck; When girls are sixteen they're ready to - Good night, folks!"

20. lilHippieChick

lilHippieChick Member

16 is the age of consent here. i think that age is perfect