After the eighth school shooting in seven weeks – some gun control proposals

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Their were 212 fatal stabbings in the entire UK last year. This figure includes Northern Ireland and Glasgow, which still have a high level of violence compared with other parts of the country.

2. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

I personally think that if they're too dangerous to own a gun, then they're too dangerois to walk the streets.

3. Maccabee

I rather risk being shot and have an equal footing than to risk being attacked by someone with a knife when the strong and knowledgeable in martial arts have the upper hand.

4. wilsjane

In the UK, your chances of being attacked in that way are lower than winning the jackpot in the lottery. The 212 fatal stabbings last year were mostly gang related, a handful of domestic situations and a couple of robberies. Jane, myself and our children have a combined age of 240 years and none of us have ever been confronted by a person armed with a knife. The same is true of all our friends.

5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I've thought this way, and yeah probably some of these shootings could have been avoided with stricter gun policies but not all of them. The more important question, imo, is why are kids seemingly so much more prone to act out violently today? Wtf are these parents teaching their children? I'm waiting for a psychological breakdown of the shooters of the last 20 or so years.

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

This is what you always always say. It's coming off a list you got in guns & ammo or something.

7. soulcompromise

The reason they haven't dropped the hammer on the guns issue is because the people don't know the current state of affairs, myself included! I don't know where people get them. All I know is that every now and then someone goes on a rampage with a gun and kills as many people as they can! How do we stop that? I guess the first step is to raise the awareness of every voting human being in the U.S.A. I suspect there should be fewer ways to get a gun. Like fewer of those conferences or expos and stuff.

It's a crying shame that this has happened. Now is the time to air out the dirty laundry. Have a fact session with Congress. This is what the NRA doesn't want you to know style.

8. soulcompromise

You can run away from a person with a knife better than someone with a gun Mac.

9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Aww you disappoint me. Can't carry out a discussion, so you resort to ad hominem? You're more clever than that.

I agree with a change at the federal level.
    -Get rid of gun free zones
    -Stop medicating young kids with psychotropics that ruin their brain chemistry
    -Stop sensationalizing these mass murders, and turning the killers themselves into celebrities. They become role models to the deranged.

I'm pretty sure that ISIS carried out a couple mass shootings in France with automatic weapons. One was in the streets a couple years ago. The other was an attempted one on a train stopped by 3 American men.

10. Maccabee

And I've never been confronted by a person with a gun. Also being shot here in the states is less likely than winning the lottery too.

11. Maccabee

I always say it because nobody ever comes up witj a valid reason.

12. Maccabee

I can't outrun everybody and it only takes one strike to end my life.

13. 6-eyed shaman

The white supremacist connection has been debunked.
    http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ist-militia-tallahassee-leader-say/341751002/

I mentioned that there'd be lots of rumors that circulate in the thread in the News Forum after this incident. This is one of them.

I was a security guard for a short time at a community college. I can't imagine if there was a guard that he'd be armed. The school I worked at didn't want us armed. They wanted us to be scarecrows.

Finally, I know there were no illegals involved in this incident. I was pointing out that homicides from illegals are often glossed over by the Regressives. If homicide and murder mattered so much to them, they'd bring light to this issue as well.

NFL Star Edwin Jackson was killed by an illegal who had been deported twice. Nobody batted an eye about that one

I guess his Black Life doesn't Matter.:disappointed:

14. 6-eyed shaman

It appears that these idiot journalists are publishing rumors and lies about this story that all originated on 4Chan. 4Chan keeps trolling the hell out of these losers, and its glorious.

15. soulcompromise

16. wilsjane

I am sure that some of the figures are distorted. I suppose that when you look at the number of people killed in car crashes it adds some perspective. Do you have any idea how knife crime statistics in the US differ from those in the UK.

17. lion1978

lion1978 The King

alright you want statistics then here you go:
    The total number of firearms deaths in america in 2016 (latest numbers I've been able obtain) was 38.551 (source:Stats of the States - Firearm Mortality

Total number of people in america in 2016: 323.1 million (source: Population, total | Data

Now I'm no math genius but that amounts to somewhere araound a death rate by fire arms of 0.01%

Or roughly the same ammount as the number of people who gets killed in traffic in the us in 2016: 37.461(source: Motor vehicle fatality rate in U.S. by year - Wikipedia

However if you compare the death by firearms in the us to the leading couses of death in the US firearms are probably not on the top of the list of things you should be concerned with (source: FastStats

and for reference against other countries List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia

My main point in this is that when ever something like a school shooting occurs that gets massive attention from media you hear people screaming more gun control but as the numbers clearly shows you should also be screaming more traffic control and better desies treatment, yet rarely do we hear people advocate for that as strongly as they do about gun control.

And somehow you still failed to proof your alleged research. but now I've done that for you as well in the above reference against other countries.
    And please do note that theese statistics also include firearms deaths that involved the incidents where police oficers shot and illed criminals.
    And as to why I don't show a statistic about how many criminals in Europe that are in possesion of guns, Youd be amased how few criminals who wants to participate in such survey (odd isn't it)

NotMyRealName likes this.
  18. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

I have. Twice. So let's have the numbers for 2017 lottery winners then.

19. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Every misdemeanor you can think of.

In Wisconsin
    According to the Wisconsin State Legislature:

943.50  Retail theft; theft of services.

(a) Except as provided in sub. (4m), a Class A misdemeanor, if the value of the merchandise does not exceed $500.

But.............

Penalties for Shoplifting have been consistant with, if the property you are alleged to have shoplifted is worth less than $100, you will be issued a ticket, which is nothing more than a simple fine. There is no criminal charge attached to the ticket. If you are charged with shoplifting merchandise valued between $100 and $2,500, you will be charged with a Class A misdemeanor.

Law abiding citizens shouldn't be committing misdemeanors.
    Because if they are committing misdemeanors they are not law abiding citizens
    Law abiding citizens shouldn't be committing misdemeanors. Hence the words "law abiding citizens "
    Law abiding citizens shouldn't be committing misdemeanors.
    An armed society of law abiding citizens who aren't guilty of misdemeanors is a polite society.
    These"law abiding citizens"convicted of misdemeanor can still purchase a gun and could increase crime.
    Domestic-violence shootings in Madison end in deaths of 4

Carroll Tuttle Jr. shot and killed his partner, Lori Hayden, and their 25-year-old son, shot a neighbor to death

Carroll Tuttle has committed misdemeanor infractions stretching from 1987 to 2004, according to a statewide criminal records check. The misdemeanor charges include criminal trespass, disorderly conduct and assault
    Law abiding citizens without misdemeanors would reduce violent crimes with firearms more.
    More armed law abiding citizens without misdemeanors would accually be good.
    ^ agreed, as long as the "law abiding citizens" don't have misdemeanors.

20. diesel#

diesel# Members

I hope that here in Ohio we allow those that are licensed legally conceal carry to carry on school grounds. Teachers, staff that choose to do so can. I’d feel much safer for my children. But make it a law that your weapon must be on your person in order to carry in a school. Not in your purse or desk where it can be taken.

I’m a gun owner. I keep my ar-15s, ak, shotgun, pistols and ammunition all locked up. If my children want to see them I’ll pull them out to satisfy their curiosity. I make it known they’re not allowed to touch them without supervision and permission. When they’re mature enough, yeah I’ll take them shooting if they want to go. The important thing is realizing maturity comes at different ages so you can’t put a number on it. Also I’m not forcing them to shoot. It’ll be their choice, however they’ll still be taught gun safety in case they stumble upon one out in the world.

When I conceal carry my weapon (I personally don’t open carry for different reasons, but I don’t have an issue with those that do) I do so as descretely as I can make it. I prefer it to be out of sight out of mind.

I know some of you don’t/won’t get it. That’s okay, I’m posting this for those on the fence. I feel that if all parents taught their children to respect and not fear a gun, that might solve a part of the issue. What would solve more of it is if parents took more of an active role in their children’s lives and became the good influence/example that every child needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.