After the eighth school shooting in seven weeks – some gun control proposals

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

We're these 27 seated when Obama was in office?

How'd that work out?

I can totally agree with you that our politicians are corrupt.

The NRA does not represent me or my feelings. Much like the ACLU doesn't represent my views. They are extreme in thier stances and I understand the reasons why they are. Both feel strongly that our rights can't afford to be easily forfieted to our government. So they take extreme stances.

2. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I again support your choices. You own far more firearms than I do. Maybe we need to look at those people that are storing multiple weapons. Got to be something wrong with someone owning more than one gun.

3. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Totally agree. And that brings us to the mental health problems that the NRA has been very proactive in trying to highlight has been lacking in enforcement measures.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I agree. I've only ever purchased two guns. That's why I said somewhere "confiscate all weapons that hold over 6 rounds".

But, I have nothing against collectors who collect guns for historical reasons and have their guns properly licensed.

I don't carry guns around with me to ward of evil doers.

5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

How many of these murderers were noncriminals that acted responsibly up until the day they went on a shooting spree? There's no way to catch them before they act in my opinion. And I'm sorry to say it.

soulcompromise likes this.
  6. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I struggle with it being legal for someone to own essentially as many as they can acquire, of types made for combat, and then being able to legally own 10,000 rounds of ammo. These people, while legal make me nervous. It isn't isolated to a few.

In my case, I have no problem with having the capacity to equalize my chances to some extent. I have been too close to too many violent crimes to ignore their existence. Not everyone lives in your rural environment. While I live in a very safe neighborhood with no crime, that isn't the rest of my day. And within the last 6 months I have been told by a judge that he was concerned for my safety when he realized my ex wife of over 10 years ago had found out where I lived and has made mentally unstable actions towards me. My local PD can do nothing until she commits a crime. I intend on it not being committed on me.

7. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Yes I'd like to compare the ones that have been totally legal vs criminal up until they commit the crime we see.

The Vegas guy was legal. The recent Fla. kid was legal. So that's 2 I can readily remember.

8. Jukai

Jukai Members

This is 90% of the problem, if you ask me, at least for school-related bullying and shootings.

Before putting away the guns, snatch away the friggin propaganda devices first.

If "for emergencies" is the counter-argument for kids having phones, a flip phone with no data plan will do just fine.

NotMyRealName likes this.
  9. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

What type of misdemeanors are we talking about? Shoplifting a candy bar is a misdemeanor.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  10. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

How would any of these proposals would've stopped this incident?

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Stalking. For one

I dont think there should be a broad ban on sales to people with misdemeanors but misdemeanors associated with abusive or violent behavior should be included .

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Isn't that why we're arguing for better prevention?

Meliai likes this.
  13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Let's lop off about half of the money our genius in residence wants for his wall and hire enough psych workers to staff ALL schools and reiterate to the kids--"íf you see something--say something."I'm sure SOME students had to have seen his postings.

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Some of them could have been prevented with reasonable gun control in place.

I mentioned a shooting that happened near me,or maybe it was in another thread, but a 14 year old kid stole a gun from his dad. Shot his dad then went and shot up a school.

So his dad had a criminal domestic violence charge on his record and yet he had an arsenal of guns. My state made it illegal to buy a gun with a CDV charge in 2015. If they had instituted this 20 years ago there's one that could have been prevented. It will prevent gun violence going forward though so thats good. SC is first in the nation for domestic violence so that was something we desperately needed

Not to mention the gun wasnt locked away. I mentioned earlier there should be punishments for parents who dont secure their guns properly, I think Balbus suggested punishments for anyone who doesnt secure their guns if they're stolen and traced back to a crime.

I also suggested a public health campaign to teach parents the importance of securing their guns around minors.

I took the time once to go through multiple mass shootings and there were a few that I thought could have been prevented with reasonable gun control measures in place .

Balbus likes this.
  15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Those corpses you mention? Real human beings who are now dead because of gun violence. Comments like this honestly make you look like the one trying to score political points. The rest of us are painfully aware that this is deeper than politics and comes with a real human cost.

The high rate of gun fatalities in this country is a national crisis and SHOULD be a bipartisan issue. The only agenda I see being pushed is the NRA's agenda and it is a selfish agenda without any willingness to compromise on reasonable and common sense gun control legislation.

As for Chicago, people in Chicago can drive an hour outside of Chicago and easily purchase a legal gun, I'm pretty sure everyone realizes that. Local gun control measures arent particularly effective .We need change at the federal level.

Asmodean, wilsjane and scratcho like this.
  16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Makes me wonder--why so many guns anyway? Why any guns? Why are humans so fond of flinging particles of lead towards other humans and animals, consequently ruining living beings? Seems like the fatal flaw in human nature that harkens back to the rock and club era and continues unabated. Will humans in general, ever gain lasting peace? If not, why not? Is inequality natural?

Rhetoric.

unfocusedanakin and wilsjane like this.
  17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Here i the UK, carrying a gun can result in 14 years in prison, regardless of whether you have used it. As a result, criminals avoid guns like the plague, since they know that they are likely to get pulled over by the police regularly.
    London's 31-000 police officers do not carry guns and only special units, port and airport police are armed. Our daughter has a firearms unit available to cover her Central London area. None of the officers in that unit have fired a single round in more than a decade.
    Let the facts of a gun free society speak for themselves. I have never met a single American who has said that he feels in danger of being shot here in the UK.

Balbus and unfocusedanakin like this.
  18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Unfortunately any pro gun person here will point out that there is a knife problem in the UK. So since a criminal will just use another weapon why take away the guns? You can't reason with them.

wilsjane likes this.
  19. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

So you are admitting that racism goes on and it's acceptable because we need to trust the cop and not even call it racist. If a ****** is trouble we believe him? That black man is on your side you know.

20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

While it is true that knife crime is a problem in the UK, it is only highlighted because so few people are shot. I would love to know whether the figures for knife crime in the US are any less (based on population) or whether they are simply overshadowed by the shootings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.