After the eighth school shooting in seven weeks – some gun control proposals

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Let me add, the immediate confiscation of all private weapons that hold more than 6 rounds. Including my own.
    I don't care how hard that is to do, I don't care about the cost, I really see no need for any weapon to hold more than that number of bullets.

But it'll never happen.
    Number of background checks in 2016, 27,538,673.
    2017, over 25 million.
    And that's just background checks, not actual gun sales.

It's all about the money.
    [​IMG]

Meliai and Tyrsonswood like this.
  2. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I am in favor of gun control. I'm in favor of gun ownership. However when someone tells me that any thoughts I have that differ from theirs, makes me flawed and corrupted, I will just stay silent and continue to legally carry my high capacity concealed weapon.

Just in case someone that may be mentally questionable decides I'm flawed and corrupted, I'll be able to defend myself properly.

mcme likes this.
  3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

lion

So it is not the ease of access to much more lethal weapons that accounts for the huge number killed by guns compared with other industrial nations – that in your view Americans are much more murderous than others and would kill just as many with knives?

I mean other nations don’t have US levels of violent death but they do have access to knives and axes.

Why not try and reduce the possible harm by trying to keep guns out of the hands of the criminal and irresponsible

I live in Britain and have lived in other places in Europe and we do have our fair share

4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Not

I said - And yes I know the anti-gun control people will be here to muddy the waters with their flawed and corrupted arguments but hey been there.

So are you are you or are you not an anti-gun control person?

Are you in favour of trying to keep out of the hands of the criminal and irresponsible?

So would you support the proposals?

Why do you carry a high capacity concealed weapon?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  5. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

I am 64, and have never felt that I needed a gun for protection.
    Oh, just a reminder, there have been more school shootings in this country than in any of drumpf's shithole countries.

scratcho, Meliai and Kerri like this.
  6. mcme

mcme lurker

Better to have one and not need it vs. the opposite. And on a positive note, at least we don't kidnap busloads of school girls for sex slaves and forced marriage.

7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Actually the US has a HUGE child bride problem. Girls well under 18 forced to marry.

8. unfocusedanakin

9. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

1. I am in great favor of gun controls.

2. I am in great favor of trying to keep guns out of the hands of the criminal and irresponsible.

3. Depending on what those proposals were so I won't say yay or nay since there isn't a proposal before me.

4. I'm responding from having over 20 years experience and training in likely situations. That being said, I don't shoot everyday and I am not in law enforcement, seeking out armed bad guys. In a moment of truth, my adrenaline will be at maximum. My aim may not be true enough based on that. The bad guy will likely be smarter than me and have much more experience at being a gun wielding bad guy, than I have being prepared for him. And he (most likely a he), will likely be moving away, around or towards me in an erratic pattern. As well as possibly shooting at me. So banking on missing 50% of my shots, I like the security of having enough capacity to make up for that fact. I never hope to need it all, but I don't like being limited to 6 shots. I'd like to think that 6 shots should work in most situations, but nowadays if that were the case, law enforcement wouldn't have decided that carrying more than 6 shots is a better option for them.

Unless and until I stay current in active simulated training (hostile situational awareness exercises), all my experience and comfort in the world, won't make up for the fact that I am the underdog in a situation where a bad guy uses and shoots others much more frequently and actively than I do.

Do I hope to diffuse 100% of the situations without firing a shot? You bet. And I have for fact had to draw my weapon 3 times in 20+ years of legal carry. Each time the situation immediately diffused and no one was shot. I hope that number doesn't change.

Now we have kids, with less development and control of their emotions, may or may not be high on drugs, as well as seasoned bad guys that walk the streets with multiple violent crimes to their credits, thanks to lax attitudes towards not punishing them effectively. As Obama told us all, its easier for them to procure a handgun than it is a computer, puts me at greater risk now than years past.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

So basically you told me I was wrong then admitted I'm right in this post.

I dont care about being right though,I care that people take their heads out of their asses and admit that the ease in which one can obtain guns in America is directly related to the US's high rate of fatalities by gun .

And it is high. Your "lots of european criminals have guns" is a worthless comment to me because rather than trotting out such compelling statistics as "lots", i've actually done research into this .The fatality rate by gun is significantly higher in the US than other countries with tighter gun control .

11. unfocusedanakin

Where do you think a Europeans gets a gun from? America is to guns what Amsterdam is to weed. Everyone knows if you go to that place the rules about that thing are different. Unlike the rest of the world it's allowed and easy to buy. You then disassemble the gun and smuggle it in pieces back to your home land.

12. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I agree. Now then care to venture a guess as to why it has become easier?

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

NRA lobbying.

14. Kerri

Kerri Members

Access to guns is directly related to the use of guns. It’s a choice. If you like the current gun laws then you’re okay with the price of that freedom

15. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

And perhaps de-funding of the agencies that do the enforcement?

Say for instance as an example, the fact that the church shooter in Texas should not have been able to purchase a firearm based on his military record. The fact that the military didn't send that info into the civilian database as they were legally obligated to. I don't know how to research how many of these there are like this, but there are a LOT of legal hurdles in place that had they been enforced, would have helped stop a good number of them from being sold.

Perhaps that can be traced back to NRA lobbying. I am not a fan of the NRA. However they do seem to favor the enforcement of laws currently in place that aren't being enforced.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

"Reacting to the mass shooting on Wednesday, Democratic senator Chris Murphy said “it’s time for Congress to get off its ass and do something” about gun violence in the US.

This happens nowhere else other than the United States of America,”
    Senator Murphy said."

That makes at least one of you not in denial

17. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

He isn't entirely right, but right enough that I'll stay with it. You still fail to address how this has become a recent problem as far as the history of guns in America.

As we are learning today, the shooter in Fla. had set off many red flags to more than a few people. Yet no one attempted to stop it. This troubles me. Are they scared? Are they concerned of the backlash if they do? We need a better placed system for those that see a problem and how we may need to infringe a little at times in order to stop these red flags from being argued into being "off limits" because someone has a bad childhood, or has had a bad life or or or or or ...The excuses make me ill to think that people knew, well in advance, and somehow for whatever reason, 17 people are still dead today.

Liberalize that all you like, 17 people are dead. It won't be the last time.

18. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

We must have gun control to prevent murder.

But no illegal alien control to prevent murder.

Nice logic

machinist likes this.
  19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

[​IMG]

20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Turd brain. Which people commit these school shootings? The eight one this year. Keep focussing on something else.

It seems a typical american cultural phenomenom ever since it started in the 1980s

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Meliai likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.