After the eighth school shooting in seven weeks – some gun control proposals

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

What it all comes down to is the alt right wants military weapons so they can fight in the coming apocalypse when they have to over throw the repressive government who want to take away their military weapons.
    There are no arguments to counter this as it's not rational to begin with.

Meliai and unfocusedanakin like this.
  2. storch

storch banned

Well, there's nothing you can do about how they feel and how they'll respond to laws that don't make sense. Maybe they realize that there needs to be good justification for restricting gun ownership, and they're less inclined to bow to authority figures than others are.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  3. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

All I do is tell the truth. I can't help it if people dislike what the facts show.

The correlation between gun availability and homicide rates is very weak.

That study uses cherry-picked data. The high poverty areas of the US are not a fair comparison to a place where there is a strong social safety net.

Non-cherry-picked data shows that gun availability has little correlation between gun availability and homicide rates.

Extremist rulings like this only prove that the government is trying to violate the Second Amendment.

So long as the government is trying to violate our rights, we can't allow the government to have more control over guns.

4. storch

storch banned

It's a semiautomatic rifle. It's design is a cosmetic issue. Intention belongs to the shooter.

mcme likes this.
  5. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

It does if the government ignores the Constitution and uses the registration list to target gun owners.

It would be one thing if we could count on the courts to uphold the Second Amendment. But since we can't, we have to curtail the government's ability to control gun ownership.

TominMontana likes this.
  6. storch

storch banned

Oh . . . well . . . we gotta stop 'em, cuz like you say, the apocalypse is coming. Are you ready?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Everyone knows it's not hard to modify to full auto and that anyone interested in a coming war would do this. Don't act like a Ar-15 is innocent. It's exactly what you want it to be.

8. storch

storch banned

Far be it from me to take away your boogiemen. How have you prepared for the coming war?

You know I don't own an AR-15, right? You keep informing me about why I want one even though I've told you I don't have one. You're paranoid.

If it's so easy to convert one to full automatic, explain it.

9. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

To do so you need special parts and a pattern to show you where to drill holes in the gun.

The positions to drill are unmarked, and if you drill in the wrong spot you've ruined the gun.

10. storch

storch banned

Uh yeah, you've stated your proposals. Remember? You said you wanted to ban all semiautomatic center-fire rifles that accept detachable magazines that have two or more of these features: a folding stock, a grenade/flare launcher, or a flash suppressor."

So, how many grenade attacks originating from a semiautomatic rifle are you aware of? Do folding stocks makes it easier to conceal a rifle when trying to sneak it in somewhere to do a mass shooting, and how many mass shootings are you aware of in which the shooter folded the stock in order to conceal it before shooting. Also, how does a flash suppressor help a mass shooter? I mean, there's no one they would need to be trying to hide their intentions from at that point, right?

You also said that you would ban all semiautomatic rifles that accept detachable magazines, but then you also mentioned that the law bans magazines that can hold more than ten rounds. So you want to ban semiautomatic rifles that accept detachable magazines, but not 10-round magazines?

Given that semiautomatic rifles have been used in 3 of the hundreds of school shootings since 1984, and 18 of the most deadly mass shootings to date (12 of which involved shotguns and pistols along with the semiautomatic rifles), why are you focused on the least used weapon?

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

False.

Since you admit you can't calculate a measure of correlation, you have no basis for making that statement.

The study is quite sound methodologically, and has passed the test of peer review.

Show us the r's.

Nothing extremist about it. It was a unanimous en banc decision using heightened scrutiny. SCOTUS denied cert. You and the NRA are the extremists.

Yes, we've heard it, over, and over, and over. The government is out to get us, so we must arm to the teeth. It's demagoguery like that that feeds the body count of sacrificial victims to the NRA and the gun manufacturers.

12. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

There were few automatic weapons before the NFA. It's simply a matter of automatics were impratical and expensive to most people. They were never widely popular.

What do you mean?

Which state do you live?

Laugh all you want, but as we speak, more and more people assoviated with March for our lives want a total ban on firearms. Even if our current government won't confiscate all firearms if they are all registered, it sets a precedent for if a tyrannical dictator takes over to have an easier path in confiscating the firearms.

13. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

No. The reason why you cannot rebut anything that I say is because what I say is the truth.

There is quite clearly very little correlation. All you have to do is look at the numbers.

The fact that they cherry pick data to produce an inaccurate result sort of invalidates their study.

That is incorrect. When judges base rulings on untrue statements in order to justify violating our rights, they are very much extremists.

That's silly. All we do is defend civil rights.

Hardly demagogy. This thread is filled with posts calling to violate our civil rights for fun.

You defend extremist court rulings that make untrue claims in order to justify violating our rights.

So long as people are out to violate our rights, we are not going to allow laws that increase the government's ability to control guns.

storch likes this.
  14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

For fun lol

Yep, gun control advocates just want it for kicks, just to inconvenience you

The fact that you would say that sort of shows you're not looking at this as logically as you think you are

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Basically, what I gave you is the Maryland law, upheld en banc by a U.S. Court of Appeals using heightened scrutiny, cert denied by SCOTUS. That was the reason for my endorsing it. It is legislation, passed by a majority of a state legislature that's withstood the test of litigation. Therefore, I'm willing to stand by it until something better comes along. What's your proposal for gun control? I didn't think so.

16. storch

storch banned

Hmm. There's 3.5 deaths from firearm homicides per 100,000 people per year in the U.S. Don't you think you're being a bit of a drama queen with your "body count of sacrificial victims" hyperbole?

Would you consider 3.5 deaths per year per 100,000 people statistically significant?

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You're a broken record. Time to shut you off.

18. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Every human life is valuable, especially the lives of innocent school kids and folks trying to enjoy a meal at a waffle house. Every homicide is a blow to society, in a way that ladder falls are not. But you're also a broken record, and I'll waste no further time listening to your same old, same old rants

19. storch

storch banned

Um, yeah, we already know that you'll agree with whatever the authorities tell you to agree with. But like you, they've also failed to answer the questions that challenge their judgment. I'll post them again.

So, how many grenade attacks originating from a semiautomatic rifle are you aware of? Do folding stocks makes it easier to conceal a rifle when trying to sneak it in somewhere to do a mass shooting, and how many mass shootings are you aware of in which the shooter folded the stock in order to conceal it before shooting. Also, how does a flash suppressor help a mass shooter? I mean, there's no one they would need to be trying to hide their intentions from at that point, right?

You also said that you would ban all semiautomatic rifles that accept detachable magazines, but then you also mentioned that the law bans magazines that can hold more than ten rounds. So you want to ban semiautomatic rifles that accept detachable magazines, but not 10-round magazines?

Given that semiautomatic rifles have been used in 3 of the hundreds of school shootings since 1984, and 18 of the most deadly mass shootings to date (12 of which involved shotguns and pistols along with the semiautomatic rifles), why are you focused on the least used weapon?

20. storch

storch banned

I'll take that as your refusal to comment on the statistical significance of 3.5 firearm homicides per 100,000 people per year in the U.S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.