After the eighth school shooting in seven weeks – some gun control proposals

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Cool. Welcome.

The age for purchasing a handgun is 21. Shall AR15 be raised to 21? Is that a slippery slope to an outright ban? Will an 18 year old still be able to buy a hunting rifle?

You seem pretty reasonable, but you will find that the leftists here are not able to be reasoned with.

Mental health is considered a diversion tactic, and only an outright ban will suffice.

2. g65389pon

g65389pon Members

Not my job to decide how old, as for the other 2 questions very possibly too young. I'm saying stop pissing at each other and comprise.

3. machinist

You cant take these people lightly. They resent our country and want to destroy it.

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Have you ever met anyone from a prestigious university?

In my experience, many of them are kinda smug and pretentious. And often have a crappy sense of work ethic. I suppose the fact that they got to go to an Ivy League school gets to their head.

Not all of them are like this, but it seems to be the case with a lot of them. Many employers have caught on and see past the Harvard graduate on the resume

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You could really stand to take his advice because this sounds fucking ridiculous to most of us.

McFuddy likes this.
  6. g65389pon

g65389pon Members

I don't think that these days you can take either side lightly. Yes, hunting rifles and such should stay 18 and true assault rifles older (I hate that term). Thank you for not wanting to lynch me for being in the middle

7. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

When someone demands to violate our rights, there isn't much room for compromise with them.

What makes a gun a true assault rifle?

If it just a pistol grip, there isn't much justification for age restrictions.

If it is capabilities for full auto or three shot bursts, those guns are already heavily restricted.

I dislike lynchings. I much prefer polite statements of disagreement.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  8. machinist

Youre not as extreme as many are. Still pretty bad though lol

9. machinist

Boom.

Give them an inch, take a mile.

Under the guise of "common sense" and "sensible reform" they will rob you blind of your rights.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Lol

..thanks?

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Not really. I know someone from high school who ended up going to Harvard or being accepted or something. She was a really hardcore academic type. But she was actually pretty humble about it and kept to herself. She struck me as a big bookworm.

12. soulcompromise

don't know

13. soulcompromise

Mcme, I honestly don't think you're seeing things very clearly. The reason for the walkout is because they as students have become the victims of mass shootings. I'm not sure what you mean by the vocal minority. They had a pretty decent turnout the last time there was a walkout. And there was that thing at DC as well. That doesn't behave like a minority, honestly.

Also, I feel like judgment of some other posters is clouded. they want to be right about gun control, but if it effects other people there are more things to consider than a personal preference on the issues; for example how one might feel about AR15 guns being banned. they might try to play it like some don't have the knowledge or authority. We don't need anything but our votes to put this to bed.

I think the 2nd amendment takes the backseat to safety. The priority here needs to be safety. If people don't see why it's important to ban assault weapons, I'm not sure I care all that much. Furthermore, I don't know that the courts will strike down any legislation. There seems to be a precedent for banning assault weapons.

14. g65389pon

g65389pon Members

Just letting you know the vast majority of gun owners preach safety first and there’s a thin line between between safety with guns and without. Do you know the difference between a 9mm bullet and a .357 magnum bullet?

machinist likes this.
  15. storch

storch banned

You should tell that to the posters here who are dead certain that anyone who owns a gun for home defense is a gun freak, or a weak, insecure individual afraid to use their fists.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Are you talking about you and your fellow gun freaks?

17. storch

storch banned

See what I mean?

18. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

You don't have the votes. All you are doing is ensuring another NRA victory.

Which is why I'm encouraging you to continue on your existing course.

Bans on assault weapons have nothing to do with safety. The only point of them is to violate people's civil rights for fun.

I encourage you to continue sabotaging the gun control movement by driving them towards a pointless ban on pistol grips. As I said, you're only helping the NRA to win.

Once the Supreme Court begins upholding the Second Amendment, such bans will indeed all be struck down.

Any limits on magazine size that are tied to such bans will be struck down as well, as collateral damage.

machinist likes this.
  19. machinist

Dude i spend about ten percent of my posts trying to help leftists actually make better arguments lol

20. machinist

@Meliai

If big city gun laws dont work because people can drive a town over and acquire guns then that means there would have to be a nationwide ban.
    That aint gonna work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.