after one week, little progress with new dog

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by silent, May 28, 2006.

1. silent

silent Member

I picked up my dog from the shelter last monday... she got along quikly with my male cat otis but the females are still hostile. Misha (the older cat) hasn't tried to hurt the dog she only grows and hises at her, but Tashy (the younger female) hits the screen that seperates them, and gets all puffed up when they get too close. this behavior isn't all the time... sometimes Tashy will just lay down and watch what Hani does.
    I read that I shouldn't discipline the cat cause she will asociate being punished with the dog and dislike her even more...
    i know she is like this becase she is jealous... she is extremely atached to me and my husband. but i consider we have given them the same atention as always...

so what is your take on this situation...
    i feel bad that i have to devide them like this,i would like us all to be in the same room together.

2. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

give her a little extra attention

3. Elle

Elle Senior Member

i would put them all together at some point very soon. if you keep separating them the situation will not be able to progress. so long as the dog is good with the cats then i would just keep an eye on them. they may eventually get along or they may just come to "tolerate" each other which sometimes is the best you can do. i have a huge jealousy problem with my dog lily and my cat. she doesnt like it when he sits near me or even walks near one of her toys. we do not "disapline" her when she gets out of line, i just tell her "no" in a very stern voice and do my best to keep an eye on them. but the cat knows how she can be and he pretty much avoids her. your dog might end up just doing the same. but yeah, extra attention and treats might help. good luck