Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Inconclusive, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Inconclusive

Inconclusive Guest

I am seriously considering saving up and buying a Boat. I am sick of living in this dump of a city I live in and want peace and quiet. I am 24 and sick of people who are more concerned about buying an iPad than current affairs.

There is a huge problem. I've always lived in the city and would have no idea how to survive. I need to be given a briefing about everything from 'Do I need a license for a Boat' to 'What budget I should start with'

Many thanks,

Inconclusive

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It is said that a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money. if you know nothing about boating and/or living on one--you have a ways to go. Budget=depends on what you buy, but if you can't count your money in several thousands, it'll be rough to get anything. Do you want to sail or live in a harbor?

3. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Guess you really want to get away from it all!

Believe it or not you don't need much in terms of a formal licence so long as you are not taking paying passengers. Just proof of ownership and a passport.

At a minimum I would take the coast guards safety and captains course.

I am not 100% positive but you might need a radio operators license.

I have seen used boats priced anywhere from $50,000 up But some times you can get a good price on used boats.

I really would suggest getting some experience before going out on your own. Maybe find some people to take the adventure with you.

I hope you get to realize your dream find happiness and stay safe.

4. old hippie 09

old hippie 09 Member

buy a kayak, build a raft, find a lake pond , float you raft to the middle and moor it , set up a tent , tipi , on the raft use your kayak for when you need to get to land. peace

5. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Dalamar...$50,000?!?!?!?! For a used boat? Dude, maybe if it's gold plated with warp drive and girls to give you a lap dance anytime you want. Anything commercial, yes. Anything tricked out, yes. Otherwise you should get something for less than that.

Places like http://www.maritimesales.com/ and http://www.boattrader.com/ are good sources.

6. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i'm guessing if the dude had 50 large he wouldn't be in a hurry to leave the city

and you absolutely need an operators license in Canada and in many countries for any boat over 8 feet with or without a motor...

7. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

O crap. That was a huge typo. Sorry to the OP for that. I was saying ( or trying too ) it is not as expensive as you would think. Instead I made it sound impossible. Yeks

Anyway, I am sorry about that again. I hope you get to follow your dream and encourage you to do so.

8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

BOAT= Bust Out Another Thousand

9. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Great! I suggest that you start small and get the feel of handling a boat way before you try anything big.

Oh yeah? Join the crowd, buddy!

Yep. AFAIC they have the same value as cockroaches. So treat them like they are. Do you pay attention to cockroaches when you see them? Of course, enough to avoid them whenever you can. So just do that. Deal with them only when there is no choice. And don't give them second thought. They aren't worth it.

Not much different, I think. Buy stuff in bulk so you can go to the store less often. Nothing too much more than regular living, with a few adaptions you'll have to make. But then it depends on what you want to do with the boat. Stay in the harbor? Stay in the bay? Go open water? Which is why I suggest that you get a small boat and learn how to use it. And in your work with the small boat you'll be in contact with others and you'll learn the ropes.

Honestly, depending on what one wants, you could make do with a simple barge. Just convert it to motorized. Lots of options.

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Also, ,when buying items for your boat, check RV outlets because some items are the same but lots cheaper. Of course ,NEVER compromise on quality, especially if you aren't just buying one to live in a harbor.