Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

I'll have to look into the area more but I've been near it enough to know it's pretty over there.

Personally I'm pretty set on Cochise county as from all I've gathered it seems to be one of the most lax places in the country (Or at least Az) with regards to building codes and zoning. Sticky point for me as I'm aiming to do a bermed monolithic dome structure using fused basalt / re-molten lava and guessing that will be hard to get approval in most places being as I'm not any sort of formally trained architect.

stormountainman likes this.
  2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Yes it's a nice ride through the hills when you go east bound. The houses there had a lot of termite damage. There used to be lots of squatters from Mexico there and in Sanderson Texas.

3. stormountainman

Patagonia is higher in the hills with pecan groves near by. It is not as hot as Tucson and Phoenix because of altitude. I don't know about water availability.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Too much chance of hitting a big piece of metal with a chainsaw for me to be cutting up railroad ties...

5. FritzDaKatx2

Had a thought on repurposing materials for use in re-siding a house.

Thinking a chainsaw lumber mill cutting railroad ties into lap planks.

What might be some ways of sealing in the creosote to mitigate the hazard if possible?

stormountainman and scratcho like this.
  6. FritzDaKatx2

That is a beautiful thought there, I almost had a gig as an applicator for a Rhino-liner franchise back around 2005, using that shit would be like hermetically sealing it in for as long as the rhino liner lasted (And they tried messing it up with Dynamite and barely scuffed the stuff)

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Don't know how far into into the wood creosote would go. Maybe the outside planks could be disposed of. If it goes clear through, then some very good sealant would have to used. Fiberglass probably would work, but then where would you be on the expense?

stormountainman and FritzDaKatx2 like this.
  8. stormountainman

You will need to make sure there is a valve which prevents reverse movement of the gas/methane because your flame must not move in reverse. The entire source of methane will blow up without that safety valve. You can throw in everything from water melon rinds to banana peels and let the entire heap rot in water. You will end up with oil on top and methane too. Then you separate the oil from the water and get free diesel/ home heating oil, lamp oil, etc.

9. FritzDaKatx2

Probably better just going traditional. But the sun cooks everything down here.
    Wondering if a thick enough layer of carbonization might keep it retained
    Maybe it would just cook off if slid into a big galvanized culvert pipt and pyrolized for a while over a trench fire?

Might be able to cap ends with local clay and fit a pipe to outgass into a scrubber (and run a generator off the gasses?) the

10. FritzDaKatx2

Not sure what the deal is with the post order bouncing around and all but it dawned on me if the truck bed liner would be the trick on the timber, it would also be so on earthship tires, but then God knows what rhino liner leaches out,,,

But back to the HDPE milk jug plastic, same shit used in garden irrigation pipe, would achieve the same result and tire or whatever could be dipped or you could literally just use a heat gun and melt it right onto what you want to coat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/earthship/..._use/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You're over my head on that, brother.:)

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yeah... Thread is haunted.

13. FritzDaKatx2

Instead of full combustion, you just cook off the more volatile gasses from whatever hydrocarbons cook off the planks at a lower temperature.

Their gassifier uses a small chamber to completely combustion your biomass / wood chips, this would use a much larger chamber and only roast the biomass / wood chips/planks in enough bulk to hopefully make up the difference in volume of offgassing

Library / FEMA Gasifier | Drive On Wood!

14. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

Hey Stormountainman, long time no hear from--hope everything is OK out there! Still dreaming of that nice commune where we old folks will take care of each other in our declining years?

15. FritzDaKatx2

16. stormountainman

They paint them rail road ties with that stuff because of the termites. Arizona has termites which live in the ground and will attack unprotected wood. If you shave off a layer of that oily stuff, you will need to use a new layer of stuff that will repel termites. You might consider spray on car undercoating which is glue-like and protects metal from rust. About 30 years ago I sprayed it on the bottom side of a wood camper and it did the job. It did stick to the wood. Liquid creosote is oily. Undercoating is sticky.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  17. BenS Alaskan

BenS Alaskan Members

Don’t do it

snowtiggernd likes this.