Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Right around $375k which given all the structures & RV spots seems a good deal.
    I think the pandemic just got the owners disinterested in the tourism industry

Maybe one approach to manifesting this "Retirement Commune" might be to try a Kickstarter or other crowdfunding approach? Use this compound as a template and offer something like a reserved tent, RV space or other lodging depending on levels of donation & other options to buy in or work-trade for space?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    scratcho and stormountainman like this.
  2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not bad. Nice to hear the doves cooing. Looks like an oasis in the desert.

stormountainman likes this.
  3. FritzDaKatx2

I was also thinking, if a large enough parcel can be had in the right location it seems leasing footprint to cellular companies for towers might be able to at least cover any mortgage on the land. (Thinking tower on waaay back 40 out of the way) If anything, it could help offset some costs

stormountainman and scratcho like this.
  4. scratcho

Many people like to vacation or just visit the desert. My son, his wife and their friends are always going to the desert somewhere to camp and ride their mini bikes--shoot guns, etc. That place looks like with a few improvements---maybe some RV hookups, a pool, a place to gather and shoot pool or watch movies communally--it could be a fun moneymaker-----or just great a family retreat/ compound---or an old folks hippie retirement place ----I can see all kinds of uses for a place like that.

5. scratcho

For sale by owner is ALWAYS a plus. Price negotiable plus maybe no bank financing .

6. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Around here in Indiana and Ohio and even Michigan I can get a place with some ground and out buildings for under a $100 grand. Indiana and Ohio have mild winters compared to Michigan. The good thing about Michigan is the Democrat Party. It's Liberal. A man on Social Security income would get more benefits than the other states. Indiana does not give a shit about its old people. Some houses I looked at have annual taxes at less than $400 and car insurance is much cheaper than Michigan. Michigan has some real nice country/lake cabins but you need a 4X4 due to the snow.

7. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Interesting....
    I take it to sewer and water hookups are back by the meters.

8. scratcho

9. scratcho

10. scratcho

11. stormountainman

Depends on the town?

12. scratcho

I built a small septic system with a 55 gallon drum for use myself, partner and 2 kids when I lived in a travel trailer set up. Don't remember where I got the plans, but more than likely from Mother Earth News. If people were to buy raw land, I suppose a system and plans to build such has been designed and published somewhere regardless of the amount of people using it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    stormountainman and FritzDaKatx2 like this.
  13. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

48 pages not reading them all to find out if I am first to say this.

I don't think age segregation is a good thing.

All generations hanging out together keeps things interesting.

Maybe a real commune would be cool for sure but I would never ever move to 55 and over residential condo nazi community. no way

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  14. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Always been on my list to get land and build off grid stuff.

15. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Earth bags done right heavy duty walls, bullet proof not a figure of speech. Cheap as dirt.

How many minutes to fill and place each bag and how many bags in that structure ? Cant even really guess how long that structure above would take.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  16. stormountainman

In Colorado and New Mexico I knew people who collected water from rain and snow melt. The system worked after they filtered it for the kitchen. They did not bother with filtering to use in the toilet or washing clothes. I liked it better than a cistern in the ground. The people who had the cistern in Cache Le Poudre Canyon got field mice in it.

17. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

Building submerged, mostly underground evens out the extremes of temperature and leaves little to burn down in case of fire. Drilling and using water and “dry ice” instead of explosives to open the land for building. Still have to move the rubble. I like rocky, higher altitude for isolation and building material.
    BUT, from experience, I plan on doing it alone. Too many not committed to anything but short term physical ease. Shit ! - don’t know about you - but I’m spirit having a physical interlude in the physical under Gaia’s auspices. - that, initiates, and continues. Old nuff that death is a friend I will welcome, thankful for the life and experiences that hopefully helped me grow.

18. FritzDaKatx2

[QUOTE="stormountainman] The people who had the cistern in Cache Le Poudre Canyon got field mice in it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like where I was in Puerto Rico, caught rainwater on the roof which acted as a combination cistern, wading pool and mosquito hatchery

19. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I would be open to living in an apartment if it were in a community where I felt safe and welcome. I am looking for something that is over 50+ that is both gay and hippie friendly. I'm not too crazy about red states or places where the heat is oppressive.

20. stormountainman

Sounds like where I was in Puerto Rico, caught rainwater on the roof which acted as a combination cistern, wading pool and mosquito hatchery[/QUOTE]
    They just had a flash flood in Cache Le Poudre Canyon yesterday. The ground gave out because the Cameron Fire burned off everything which held the hillsides together. Three people were killed and they might have been some I knew. I lived in that area for 36 years. Global Warming/climate change is real. The Cameron fire and The High Park fire burned off a half million acres in northern Colorado. If we live in the hills we need to prepare for such a problem. I saw some of the flames which went up hundreds of feet into the air. Global Warming is real.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  21. stonethegardener

stonethegardener Member

Thank you for pointing out that there can be a lot of space for discussion between an armed encampment and being unable to defend the yardbirds or the organic veggies.

Stormmtnman seems to have a bit of difficulty understanding that life isn't all black and white...

for instance... I had a bit of a problem last summer when some large dogs were dumped out in the neighborhood... one night they found my place... dug their way into the hen house, murdered 25 pet birds in a single kill spree.

Those people that actually have had the chance to cook with free range eggs, and garden fresh organic vegetables will appreciate that there is no way of going back to that commercially produced junk offered at the local supermarket... when there are better options...

I don't want to live in a space with a bunch of heavily armed people that I barely know... but when storm called me names and refused to consider the importance of protecting the livestock and the gardens... it seemed absolutely beyond the scope of a normal discussion about living in community.

22. FritzDaKatx2

That was one of the things I liked about the 24 acre place with the big, gutted murder house in Bisbee, at the foot of a smallish hill but doesn't appear to be in a flood zone.
    The other part being the parcel is about 25 minutes down a dirt road with a handful of neighbors scattered across what looks like about 100 or so acres according to Google maps.

607 N Lupine Pl
    607 N Lupine Pl, Bisbee, AZ 85603
    Google Maps

23. FritzDaKatx2

Well, what about a Log cabin for Duncan?
    Carefree Cove of North Carolina – Blueridge North Carolina Community

24. stormountainman

There is another formerly cool town there. It is Patagonia. It used to be cheap, and the last time I drove through it, it looked like a ghost town with lots of rotten wood structures. I was thinking cheap land could be had there.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  25. FritzDaKatx2

Nice territory but not Cochise County.
    That's the "magical land of lax building codes" and I've found a cluster of reasonably priced parcels. Groundwater averages less than 400' down according to the County maps.

I think it's going to be an interesting few years ahead

20220416_191312.jpg

It did look pretty from afar on 19 headed to Nogales one night, at least I think it had to be Patagonia. Maybe I'll take the long way around to Tombstone next time and drive through?
    Hmmmmm...