Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

In Oregon we'll need a half million dollar mortgage.

2. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Take a scroll at land / properties around Bisbee / St. David / Tombstone, there are some really nifty finds out there right now, friendly people and generally a bit cooler than you find in Tucson. (The Mrs I are already planning the next move to that area from where we're at now)
    i.e. found a 27 acre parcel with a nice sized home in need of rehab, has a well & septic already (probably need to be serviced) for about $130k, maybe a bit steep but loads of potential to do a "touch up" on the house as a commons area with anyone else in their trailer / camper etc?
    Just a very cool area of the state (Essentially where I was aiming to land when I came out here, better late than never eh'?)

stormountainman likes this.
  3. stormountainman

I lived in Nogales for a little while back in 1976 or thereabout. I love that area and really liked Patagonia and Bisbee. I am dealing with USDA right now and they require a house to meet FHA like minimums before they fund it. In one case they said the bedrooms have to have closets and the crawl space had to have a vaper barrier and cross vents. They frown on peeling paint. I will let you know how they work out. Here in Indiana I see lots of older houses which have asbestos siding and I don't want to deal with it but they may fund it if that is the only flaw.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Asbestos siding is actually fine as long as it has been kept properly painted. It's when the paint has started flaking off that it's a problem.

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Friable and non Friable asbestos. Friable crumbles --releases dangerous dust upon tearing it off siding, roofing, ceilings, etc. That's why asbestos removers dress like they're on the moon when removing friable asbestos. I believe non friable is safer to handle, but I also believe that what Tyrsonwood mentioned about keeping it painted (siding--roofing) is viable. Removal is an expensive proposition , so I think that remediation of existing asbestos products in a household instead of removal should be considered. I'm not sure about popcorn ceilings. It would seem that they would have to be sheeted over , or asbestos removal and attendant costs would apply.

6. stormountainman

Yes, I agree. I was always told it is OK if not disturbed. I just don't know what the USDA loan guidelines on it are today ... for loan approvals?

7. stormountainman

How would I know if the popcorn ceiling is asbestos? I have lived in houses with popcorn ceilings most of my life.

8. FritzDaKatx2

Under $600 a month, 27 acres
    607 N Lupine Rd, Bisbee, AZ 85603 | MLS #6218511 | Zillow

Probably a similar payment with a livable tiny home in place on 8 acres in Cochise county meaning building codes are incredibly lax for those wanting to build alt-style dwellings,

S Rio Vista Rd, Bisbee, AZ 85603 | MLS #6224420 | Zillow

7 acres already with outbuildings that could become dwellings / community space etc.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10510-S-Bethlehem-Way-Hereford-AZ-85615/2086306693_zpid/

Just a couple examples I figured I'd throw out there.
    Aiming for the 1st myself but we'll see how the year ahead goes I guess.

stormountainman and scratcho like this.
  9. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

You mean a textured ceiling?

10. scratcho

There are business that test for asbestos. They ARE self interested, I imagine.

11. stormountainman

Some call them acoustic ceilings, some textured, some pop corn. From what I read most people do not want the stuff in their home. If I buy an older farm house, I don't have the can label to read, so I don't know what material they used unless I send it to a lab? On the net, I read some were asbestos and some not. I have also been told to just paint it with a dense modern pain to just seal it in so it don't give off dust inside the house?

12. scratcho

I don't know about the safety of doing so, but with a squirt bottle of water and a putty knife, one can remove the popcorn style finish off the ceiling. It's messy and a mask, safety glasses should be worn and clothing used probably discarded just to be safe. I'm not recommending this--I've done it but I didn't know the content of the material at the time, this was years and years ago---I just didn't like the looks of the ceiling---so I didn't use what I said should be used.

13. stormountainman

Hey Brother Scratcho, I was thinking of using a four foot broom handle with a dry wall trowel/big putty knife on the end of it and wear the protective equipment. You need more than a dust mask. I am thinking of a real mask with filters. And the cloths you wear do have to be thrown out so the stuff don't get into your washer. Shop vacs exhaust a big amount of dust, so I don't know how to clean up after I'm done? Maybe a guy can drape a wet towel over the shop vac to catch the dust? Would it be easier to just paint over the acoustic ceiling? The paint maybe/should be enough to lock in the problem?

scratcho likes this.
  14. FritzDaKatx2

Crack a window and find a neighbor you dont care much for perhaps?

[​IMG]

15. scratcho

Hey stormy----I think using water as you go really keeps the dust down. I was on a step ladder when i did mine and just sprayed a little ahead of myself and the water kind of made the stuff mush when I scraped ,which means--no dust. But yeah--that's a good idea to go full mask with filters. I guess one could paint over the popcorn ceiling but---you still have that ugly-ass looking rough look.

16. stormountainman

Yeah Brother, I never understood why they invented the stuff. I was told it reduces noise and echo in the family room but it don't really do much of that either. America built houses need insulation inside the walls between the rooms to cut the noise. I don't need to hear the guy in the bathroom turd away!

scratcho likes this.
  17. scratcho

I have often wondered about that ---why not insulate all interior walls also?

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Cost

stormountainman and scratcho like this.
  19. FritzDaKatx2

20. scratcho

Price?? Nice looking place.