Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Hi Logan … I will have my cell turned on.

2. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

3. stormountainman

That's one of the ideas which I had, meaning separate living quarters for each person. I still wish to see a central main ha; with cooking appliances, food storage, and even laundry. If it is large enough it could have space to hang clothes to dry on a line, indoors. That would save on the electric bill during winter. Add a green house, water pump with in line filters shed, and solar battery bank space, then we'll be in business. The Estonian and Irish wood chopper women will come running to live with us!

4. stormountainman

The city of Fort Collins Colorado is looking into the idea of mini-houses for the Homeless People.

5. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Storm, maybe I'm reading the wrong threads, I dunno, but you've said some stuff about conservatives. If you have a communal environment, ideally you want to leave politics out of the picture. Ok, be active in the local, county, state or even federal politics. That's fine. But in the commune no way.
    You know I'm a conservative. And from what I've heard you say, I'd say fuck you. People are people no matter what race color or creed; no matter what religion or political group, people are people, good and bad everywhere you go.

I'd have to re-read this thread to make sure. So if I'm wrong, I'm sorry. But if I'm right, you know where I stand.

ETA: I just read the past few pages. I was right. Storm, what the hell got into you? Calling people white supremacist because they like guns & diesel trucks? Funny thing is, you really have no right to tell someone if they are or are not a hippy. I know of gun loving hippies. I know of hippies that drive diesels.

Man, take me off your list. You say no bigots welcome? Well, go look in a mirror. You've told me in the past about being well-educated...from your posts I have to disagree. I see a lot of ignorance. Go ahead and enjoy your life your way, Storm. I'm not going to be part of your commune.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Asmodean likes this.
  6. stormountainman

OK Logan … the commune idea is dead anyway and I don't want to live with guns and conservatives. I don't see how a hippy could live with a gun user.

7. Logan 5

I don't see how you of all people can be so dim on the subject. Shit. Dude. Just because someone owns a gun doesn't mean they use it illegally. So long as they obey the law, who cares? Go look at the gun crimes that happen. Sometimes, but truly it is are, you *might* find someone that legally purchased a gun and used it illegally. But for the most part guns, nationwide, that are used in criminal activity, are more often than not already stolen. But to label people like you did...? What the fuck happened to you? You're not the stormountainman I used to know.

highlander69 likes this.
  8. stormountainman

I did not say you should or should not own a gun. That is not my business. I have my opinions concerning a commune for older hippies. That opinion is mine and I can change it when I fell like changing it. I developed my opinion because I don't want to live with people who own guns and argue with others. A commune -in my opinion- would be more peaceful without guns. And Logan you are free to keep your guns and live in some other commune. Please don't attempt to force me to live with gun owners.

9. Logan 5

I'm not trying to force you to do anything.

You know I have a truck. And you also know that I am a conservative. Does that make me a "White Supremacist" for that?

10. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I have visited a commune for old hippies . Everybody walks around silent attending to their own business . Nope ,
    no arguing . I asked no questions .

11. stonethegardener

stonethegardener Member

Ok... And what about road kill?
    I'm partial to some bambi... But... I'd as soon avoid meat (or produce) from the grocery store...

Interesting discussion re: shooting food...While I'm happy with road kill, I'm always thrilled when the neighbor(s) kick down some of whatever they shot...

And... What are you going to do about the chicken killing raccoons and other varmints... if no weapons?

I've only read the last few pages... but it appears like your concept of a hippy commune is something on the order of the fabulous furry freak brothers... buncha people living in a big suburban house...

Whatever happened to the live off the land dream?

It's not like a buncha people reached 50 (or whatever) and suddenly aren't able to work...

12. stormountainman

The important thing here is to exclude stupid Republicans. You can go and find others like you to go and live with. I'll stick with decent peaceful hippies and how we get our food is none of your Republican NRA business.

13. stonethegardener

stonethegardener Member

???
    Where do you get the idea that I'm republican?

The right-wingers that I speak to all seem to trust the commercial food industry...

And.... they all seem to be climate change deniers...

I asked a serious question... How do you plan to protect the chickens?

14. stormountainman

What's it to you?

15. stonethegardener

stonethegardener Member

SO.... Your dream of community... isn't open to serious discussions re:daily life?

Too bad.

There used to be tons of communities back in the day... Maybe you could visit a few.... get some ideas about what people are doing... IE: what's working... and what isn't.

See if you aren't able to entertain some serious discussion re: communal living.

16. stormountainman

I have maintained this thread for six years. It turned sour after a bunch of gun nuts turned it into something not intended in the original idea. Originally, I wanted to put together a commune for older Hippies, people who live on limited income. I never wanted meth heads with 30/30 Winchester rifles, or cheap Chinese copies of an AR-15. If you want to talk about protecting chickens, go and do it elsewhere. I know what communes were like forty years ago. At the present moment, I want to spend my money and my time to help elect Democrats in the coming election. I want to see a Democrat become OUR president. I don't like Republicans and don't want to live with them.

granite45 likes this.
  17. BiGuySW

BiGuySW Members

From my own experience, I know that living on a commune can be a real pain in the ass. I imagine that living in an older-adults commune could be even more of a pain in the ass, because there wouldn't be any kids around rebelling against the inevitable rash of rules and policies and power struggles.

If I did not have enough money to maintain my own home, I think the closest I would ever get to a commune again would be a rooming house in a town where there were lots of things to do in town, away from the rooming house.

stormountainman likes this.
  18. stormountainman

I researched the subject enough. What I found is lots of "Pretend Hippies" want to join, and take over, and bring their guns, and push Jesus garbage on all the others. It would end up being a David Koresh Waco style compound where the right wing nuts and hog meat eaters are waiting for the end of times and the return of the Messiah. What I originally envisioned was a genuine California Hippy Commune similar to the common 70s and 60s where people were able to read write and discuss topics other than Southern Baptist style Christianity. I know there are lots of older Hippies who are currently living alone and on limited income. I just saw an article about older retired people who have become homeless in Arizona. I know what that feels like because I was homeless after I got divorced. I'd live with people like them, not the gunslinger type.

19. Curiouscouple2469

Curiouscouple2469 Members

Well Storm, what have we learned...?,
    There are far too many self righteous idiots in the world today to make it work like it did in the 60's and 70's. We are all guilty of it to some degree.
    If just the discussion of a commune can go this sideways, imagine what the dinner table talks would have become...

I guess that's why they call it a dream my friend.
    I wish you nothing but peace in whatever road you follow.
    Love thy neighbour folks.

20. Dax

Dax Members

Great idea. If I could I'd be one of the first to join you.