Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Annwyn'Bri

Annwyn'Bri Member

Medical services are something to consider. I live in a tiny town where the medical services suck big time. I've pretty much forbidden myself from ever getting sick again.

1 person likes this.
  2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Hi Annwyn,

That was the point that I was making. Just because we are in a town, the services are not guaranteed to be good. We would have to look out for each-other. My original idea started because I know a few people near my age who are having a tough time getting by on just social security income. Here in Colorado many land lords want your income to be four times what the rent is. So, if the rent is $750 then you need $3000 each month to be allowed to live there. That is often how homeless people are created, by the circumstances. So I started to think about the communes of the sixties and seventies. At my age I am not interested in a party house, not in illegal drugs, not in strange life styles, just in a peace and health environment. Here in Colorado we could grow good gardens; but, there are real good food banks too. We can go twice a week to our food bank. So if each of us does that once a week, we could get enough variety for all. In the hills there are some good water wells, without agri-chemicals. If there are five of us living there, we could split gas when we drive to town. We can have a democratic vote on matters that concern the community (The House and Residents) as a whole. The ones who buy the house and land should have veto power because they are invested in the property.

1 person likes this.
  3. stormountainman

Hi Drumminmama,

I went back and read what you wrote. And my January reply was applicable to various ages. I never wanted to exclude any young folks. My original thought was to provide a safe place for old Hippies who are on limited income. In Fort Collins there are at least 450 Homeless people who are cold and hungry most of the time. I found many of them to be good people, and some even had college degrees with extensive work history. Their immediate problem is that no company wants to hire them and land lords do not want to rent to them; hence, the commune idea. About the only way I would elect to exclude someone is if they were violent, or otherwise brought some sort of evil to our place. Have you ever considered the Walden area? It's up high and cold in the winter; but, I found some reasonable prices on properties up there. What do you think of Conejos county? Peace & Light to you from Stormountainman!

4. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i disagree . a commune is consensus . otherwise , just rent rooms (however easy and non-profit the contract may be) .
    optionally , the beginning is just undeveloped land with a springhead . no rooms for rent . the land has been 'freed' .

5. stormountainman

Thank you Tikoo, I agree and disagree, depending on the scenario. (1) In the event only two or three people sign the paperwork to acquire land with a house, then their names would be on the line for taxes an insurance and other legal stuff. Since they stick their necks out father than the others, they should have say so on certain matters. That does not mean they pull rank when it come to supper or laundry. (2) In the event that all members are invested equally, then I would agree with you...everyone is completely equal. What I have been running into during the last two years is that many folks have no money, no job, no driver license and expect to share in all I have. I don't mind helping my brothers and sisters. Hoewever, it would be nice if they help me. Peace & Light.

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

That's a bit of a generalization about we Brits. There are people here I can assure you who like just the same things you do. And there's a history of communes, although on a lesser scale than in America. But you've got more people and more space.

I like your idea anyway and wish you luck with it.

7. stormountainman

Dear Black Bill, I wrote that statement, because I got the impression that Amontillado was a Brit. Additionally, I have a respectable knowledge of UK history, and their treatment of indiginous peoples around the world. The UK enslaved about 1800 Islanders from a set of islands off the coast of Africa and relocated them to somewhere in the Indian ocean, all against the people's will. The UK put Mahatma Gandi in a prison cell in south Africa. The UK appointed Gertrude Bell to stick it to Iraq after WWI. And the UK "Sexed UP" the evidence about Iraq's WMDs in 2003. Then we have the daily treatment of Muslims that takes place every day, don't we? If you go back and read what Amontillado wrote, you'll also understand what he said about a commune for older folks. Peace & Light to you.

8. stormountainman

Here you have it, Black Bill Blake.

9. BlackBillBlake

I know you made the statement in that context, but I still think it's a generalization.

It's true that Britain has committed many crimes in the past, and continues to do so to this day. The same thing is true of the USA. So I don't get your point here at all.

10. stormountainman

Dear Black Bill Blake, my point was clearly made explicit: I was under the impression that Amontillado was a Brit. It was my mistake. He is not from England; rather, he is from New England, which is the far northeastern part of my country. Also, please don't think that I was doing the blame game on the UK. I've been there and liked many things about it. I visited Windsor Castle, The Tower of London, and Carnaby Street. I had some Steak and Kidney Pie. And I must add that I like Jeff Beck and John Mayal. But, in my opinion, a lot of Brits are "serious and ridged people." In contrast, here in the west you get a lot of "Happy Go Lucky" and "Clown" characters. These are description that I use for people who are often not looking at each little detail in life. If we ever get a commune for old hippies put together, I would vote to welcome the Brits and hope they bring some good stuff to drink with them.

11. BlackBillBlake

Cool. And actually you re right - the majority of Brits are anally retentive peasants. But not all of us are that way.

If I were to visit, I'd be sure to bring along some really good IPA or maybe a wee dram of fine Scotch.

I would like to visit America.

12. stormountainman

Here in the Good Ole US of A a bunch of good ole boys think all Englishmen are employed by James Bond. By the way, if you would like a good flavor of life in Colorado and New Mexico, I would suggest that you read "Bless Me Ultima" by Rudolfo Anaya. I am reading it a second time.

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Or the Milagro Beanfield War.

Storm, tuck in warm tonight. My friends in Ned say they smell snow in the air.

14. stormountainman

Hi Drumminmama, Milagro Beanfield War was a great story by John Nichols. I first read it back in 1981. I loved the old man in the story. He was always into the icons and candles. He had a lot of operations but seemed to live on forever. Nederland is high enough to get snow tonight. I love that little hippy coffee house there. Poudre Canyon has the smell of the snow in the wind too.You keep warm as well. Blessings, Peace, & Light

15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm still in exile and it's warm.
    I'd rather be tasting snow, and worrying if I've split enough wood for the season. Not that I get to the point where I can't split more.

16. stormountainman

Hey Drumminmama, I seem to remember that you were in exile. I think a few months back you were living out of a mini van in the Golden area. You can camp at Columbine Lodge in Poudre Park; but, Becky does charge around $10 per night for the camp spots. She has shower & bathroom available to go with it. The lodge is only 17 miles from downtown Collins. I should be up there during the first week in November. Right now I am visiting my mom for her 86th birthday! I want to see my kid in Collins in December, because she will be spending spring semester in Italy; and I won't be able to see her until summer. Most of the cabins up in Poudre Park have wood stoves. You just have to find one that rents for a reasonable amount. Wood is priced ok these days. I would rather live in a cabin with a wood stove, in contrast with the way the rich live in town with the fake gas log fireplaces. Peace & Light

17. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

can you build a cabin ?
    i'd make a round one , so tight
    a fire is just with little sticks .

18. stormountainman

Hi Tikoo, yes I can build. It's a nifty idea to make a round one, sort of like a Navajo Hogan. They do heat well during winter. I am looking at different counties where they would have less restrictive building codes. The counties that have Amish types of people seem to be less restrictive and we could build what we want there. I want to build or rebuild using 12 volt electricity from solar panels and keep off the grid. I would have all the appliances from RV supply places so the would work on 12 volt.

19. Annwyn'Bri

Annwyn'Bri Member

A cluster of yurts are another idea.

Mary Billups and stormountainman like this.
  20. stormountainman

I'll vote for the yurts! What do you think of placing 13 yurts in a circle with a community fire in the middle?

Mary Billups and Annwyn'Bri like this.