Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Globe is kinda neat. Stayed in a mom and pop motel there one night. Came through that canyon to get there.

stormountainman likes this.
  2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Hi Snowtigger, did you go through the Salt River Canyon? When I was a trucker I used that road a few times. I also went through there with my personal Pickup. I followed that road all the way up to Snow Flake and Saint Johns. That area has some really cheap land right now; but, nothing else as far as services go. I sorta liked Springville or Springerville?

3. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Yep, salt River canyon in my pickup. Didn't have a camper yet. It got dark on the way down and the lights on the semis on the opposite side look like a Christmas tree. I remember a sign between the canyon and Globe that read something about a prison don't pick up hitchhikers
    But I got in too town made a right and there was a old mom and pop Motel. it had a veranda on it so you could sit outside and watch the mountain. That was pretty cool.
    I was on my way to Apache Junction to see my folks. Apache Junction and Phoenix suck. That's why I never went back.

4. stormountainman

Snowtigger! That was me in the semi truck with all the Christmas Tree Lights! What a fantastic coincidence!

snowtiggernd likes this.
  5. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So is this happening? This thread is 5 years old now and I'm finally posting in it. I'm approaching retirement in another year and I'm wondering about this, if the retirement commune gets formed whether I could try it out or just visit.

6. stormountainman

I have been trying to put this together for a long time. The trouble has been (1) several of the interested folks have their own place and do not want to leave their home town. (2) people don't agree on where to put up our commune. (3) I am not a White Christian man so I have had resistance from mortgage brokers, bankers, and USDA Rural Development. They all ask me the same question: WHY DO YOU WANT TO LIVE WITH US? And they always suggest that I go and live in some dark cold filthy inner city situation...like Detroit. I would much rather live on a tranquil acre or two in the sunny Rockies, Arizona, or California...even Florida.

scratcho likes this.
  7. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

I've looked, too cold.
    Maybe Rio Rico?
    Not sure, but I figure by the time I have cashflow going and all it will present itself, it always does. :sunglasses:

8. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I'm not old enough to retire yet. Only 57.

9. stormountainman

Tigger, I was thinking you looked a little young!

10. stormountainman

I believe you are right. I hope the opportunity will present itself to me soon...so I can get out of this backwards fucking piece of flat shit called Indiana. This piece of shit is full of KKK members, everywhere you look, even the cops and judges are members of the KKK. And they think their White Jesus will be coming back through the clouds on a White Harley Dangerfield motorcycle to kill all the colored folks.

11. FritzDaKatx2

:tired:

I have a friend on the "unholy book that shall not be linked back to" which may have some ideas for you.
    She's working to establish a place not too far from here, having some hassles with local zoning as far as having multiple dwellings on only 20 acres BUT I think She's got some spots open?

12. stormountainman

OK, I am not quiet ready to leave right now because my sister needs me to help with our mother who had a stroke. I've been checking Marana, Oracle, and places near there. There is some cheap land up by Saint Johns and Springerville...but too far out?

13. FritzDaKatx2

Oh heck, sorry to hear about your Mom. Hows the prognosis? They seem to be better at rehabilitation these days in that area but I guess it's a case by case thing.

My friend already has the land nearby, it's just a matter of how it's actually going to get utilized which depends on the County and what they decide from what I gathered so it could take a number of possible shapes when all is said and done.
    Her brother had been developing the project & She took over when he passed, trying to balance his vision and the pragmatics of State & Fed. regulations.

For me, I haven't been in or around Az enough to say for sure where I'm wanting to buy land, all about the mesquite for me, somewhere I can tap natural washes during monsoons for irrigation needs. But also now that I have a friend moving out here and Her plans involve us doing a Bakery biz. I think we're going to at least stick within a 50 mile radius of Tucson due to all the Farmers markets. BUT She's not here yet sooo, we'll see.

14. stormountainman

I think the water availability would be better up at the Oracle area. Tucson is extra-super-dry. You should make your self familiar with the types of snakes there. The Mohave Rattler is very poisonous...neuro-toxin. The tarantulas are as big as Buick hubcaps, but not poisonous. They are as big as a Maryland crab. Some of the cheapo properties up at Saint Johns do have wells, and snow melt. A well costs a bunch of cash around Tucson. I dated a woman in Nogales a long time ago. I liked that place a bunch. Patagonia is near there in the hills. So, I would expect water from runoff there. Patagonia used to be an artist town back in the 1970s...don't know much about it now?

15. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

So. How are we gonna run this place?

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Into the ground, comes to mind.... lol

17. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't know, perhaps if we can get enough old hippies together, all collecting social security, it could work.

18. stormountainman

I'm now thinking we need two or three Mostrovian woodchopper women from Russia or Norway to help us. I need one to keep me warm and fed and completely obedient.

19. stormountainman

That's what I'm thinking...Mike Pence would just shit...

20. stormountainman

Sounds like you've never met a hard working wood chopper woman from Russia.