Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Pahrump , Nevada
    Mohave Desert

July avg high temp = 101.6 degrees

2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

That's not too bad. It's not uncomfortable like in the humid states. 101 in Huston or Chicago is very hot 101 in New York City is hot. 101 in Nevada is not hot. 134 in Nevada is hot. Keep in mind that winters are very nice in Nevada & Arizona. Nevada is more friendly to seniors. That should explain why I am looking at it. If I buy a few acres of land and a mobile home, I could put in a small garden and have a good start of our commune. I know people will come.

3. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Art Bell is resting there in the shade .

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, rains here, but it's a dry rain.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

scratcho likes this.
  6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

hahahahaha!!

7. stormountainman

Mister T! Shame on you! It is a dry heat...not a dead heat!

8. stormountainman

I don't know if they planted old Art in New York or in Nevada?

9. stormountainman

Dry rain in Colorado evaporates in 15 minutes. Colorado also has dry tornados. It's very hard to see them, because they have no moisture content.

scratcho likes this.
  10. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

C2C reported Art Bell died at his home in Nevada . zip

11. stormountainman

I read that too but he is from New York so I was thinking he might have been buried in his own hometown? He was a Viet Nam Veteran. So he would have got a military grave side funeral service with a 21 gun salute. Art Bell was the real life "Good Morning Viet Nam" radio host who Robin Williams played in the movie.

12. stormountainman

Well Ya'll, I don't want to dwell on just the weather. Nevada is a real potential site for me, because it is a BLUE State and that means us old geezers can get some public assistance when needed. In RED States we might end up dead on the sidewalks if a medical emergency should happen. In RED Indiana, they'll throw you out on the sidewalk. In a place like Oklahoma you might go in for a kidney operation and come out without your bladder, because they don't know the diff. Where I am in Indiana they only let poor people go to the food bank once each year. In Colorado they let you go twice a week. So, being of the Hippy Class, I say we look at what it takes to live from week to week when we decide on a place. We can grow a veggie garden but will need a food bank until the sprouts grow up. Mister T told me the rabbits and squirrels ate all his veggies in Ohio. They same thing happened to me in Indiana. In Colorado the bears got into my apple and cherry trees, and my trash cans too!

Another related thing about Colorado is the heat assistance. I used to get some good help there to get me through winter. In cheap skate Indiana, I don't get anything. I don't know how Nevada handles that. Northern Nevada gets a bit of snow.

13. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

The County Poor Farm was a pretty good idea . But it got sold .

14. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Here's where I'm going : a poor mountain village , no cell phone reception , internet is at the library ,
    the library also has a woodstove , people grow gardens and make pickles and salsa , there is one
    house for sale described as 100 yr old adobe and uninhabitable . I'll get on the road and have a
    look . Seems I've seen that house in a dream of art .

stormountainman likes this.
  15. stormountainman

Well, the way I see it is this: The Trump administration is attacking our environmental health, our economic health, our safety network, our national treasures, our food and water safety, and our democratic system of government. When we get a little older, the Trump people will deny us food and water. They will deny us housing and medical care. They will let the banks and big corporations rip us off. And they will give what is left of our national parks to the mining interest. So, young people might be able to ride out this nightmarish existence; but, us older people need to think about life in America under the ugly heel of the Republican Party. We should even consider holding Democrat Party meeting at our commune, sort of like what they did in "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair.

16. stormountainman

sounds sweet. adobe can be cleaned up and fixed up

17. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

North-central New Mexico .

18. stormountainman

anything up there by Chama and Farmington and Shiprock is nice. Around Chimayo is a sacred land.

19. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Unfortunately the postings here have gotten so long that it's difficult to follow or determine if anyone has written anything of actual value.
    I think about the cost of living in the golden years, but by then I might be able to get a reverse mortgage on my home which means I will be able to live by paying less on a monthly basis. Granted, I live in an expensive city and I might consider living somewhere cheaper, but CA has some beautiful weather and I like driving everywhere I need to / want to go.
    If you could summarize some of the USA ideal locations, that would be appreciated.

20. stormountainman

I attempted to get people to agree on a location. It hasn't worked. I like lots of places in the western state where we could use solar power. I spend lots of time in Fort Collins Colorado, Missoula Montana, Arcata California, Southern Nevada, etc. Oregon has nice places which get less rain than their coastline. The mid-west is cheap but it's full of Republicans and the summer is hot and humid, not just hot. Places like Pahrump Nevada have a dry heat which I tend to like...it's not stifling. I like the idea of drilling our own H2O well. I love Earthships, because of the insulation factor...warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I would like to locate the commune in a state which offers good benefits to retired people. I don't want to end up in crappy state like Kentucky! I visited an Earthship in southern New Mexico a few years back and the place was infested by rattle snakes! So, I've learned to be selective. If the residents-roomies are old like me, we need to be close enough to medical services. A groovy food bank nearby would be nice too for food we could not grow ourselves. In Fort Collins I could go to the food bank twice a week if I wished. And they had a good selection. In Indiana the Republicans let me go to the food bank once each year, and think they are good generous Christians. In Colorado I got heat assistance during the winter months. In Republican Indiana I was told to go back to Colorado, if I wished to keep warm. So, I am open to any new ideas. A few other folks on here would likely discuss it too. A couple of contributors on here have no intention of giving up what they have in their home states. I would like to see new women on here too. They always seem to be better at gardening veggies than I could on my best day. Everything I grew last year was eaten by rabbits and squirrels.