Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I will buy a guitar this week!

snowtiggernd likes this.
  2. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I need to learn to play mine then we can sit around the campfire and play guitar.

3. stormountainman

Now I really have to buy some strings!

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Two guys playing guitars around a campfire does not a commune make...

5. stormountainman

I wasn't leaving you out Mister T. You can come and join us and bring a harmonica or bass or anything. We can all come over to your place if you send an invite.

6. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution
    Smile and grin at the change all around
    Pick up my guitar and play
    Just like yesterday
    Then I'll get on my knees and pray
    We don't get fooled again

But then the song ends "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

snowtiggernd likes this.
  7. stormountainman

I remember it from 49 years ago. About the same time Steppenwolf & David Kay did Monster. Steve Miller Band did Industrial Military Complex. Jackson Brown did After the Deluge. CSNY did Wooden Ships. Great period in history and so right about what was about to come into our lives. We truly need to worry about what the Republicans want to do to our people and our environment. Republicans are so evil.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  8. ibiza

ibiza Visitor

9. ibiza

ibiza Visitor

Colorado, especially in the High Rockies and the Western Slope, is very cold for half the year, otherwise, if you can stand it, it's probably the best you can do in the US.

Southern Arizona is excessively hot for half the year. The cool, winter side is perfect.

California is a beautiful state, but rent/owning a house and paying taxes, is very expensive. It is over-crowded with people, traffic, crime and homelessness. Unfortunately it is only for the rich, the very creative or the hard-working. Otherwise the economic pressure is too much.

The dream of communal living appears to be more challenging, for a variety of reasons, than previously imagined. Still, it's always worth trying to co-create group living experiments, here, within the matrix, the belly of the beast.

stormountainman likes this.
  10. stormountainman

I lived in Colorado for 36 years. I loved that state. Mountain living is good even in winter!

11. ibiza

ibiza Visitor

It's true the long cold winters in the Rockies have a certain zing to them. It's keeps you awake.
    But, some people, depending on their physical stamina, their health and mentality can handle it better than others. I've spent a few winters in south Colorado, outside of Alamosa, the land of very cold winters. It was magic, but I don't want to spend my whole life there.

The only problem with the northwest, is the long, cold, damp winters, even northern California, especially the central valley and the mountains, is too cold and damp all winter.
    Oregon, Washington, Northern California? The northwest? Not a great place to grow old.
    Too bad, because, generally speaking, the people are open-minded and creative and the and the social consciousness is generally higher than the rest of the country.
    Southern Arizona is a furnace, during the day, all summer, but the rest of the year it's fine. That's why there are so many snowbirds, who spend winter outside of Tucson and the summer in the northwest.
    No place is perfect, but the desert outside of, within an hour or so, of Tucson, has a certain energy to it. Maybe it's the spirit of the old Apache warriors and Ed Abbey, that still haunts the place.
    Maybe that's why there are so many off-beat community projects in that region.

Meta Tantay.......walk in peace!

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Dammit--and here I am growing old in Oregon!

13. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

We could be migratory. Follow the sun.

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The sun moves awfully fast...

15. stormountainman

I don't know about that Mister T. We could follow the sun as in move towards the west, maybe even some Islands in the Pacific. We don't have to move every time the suns sets or rises, just keep towards that direction. I am told the women on the Pacific Islands always wear flowers and serve us intellectual men with the drinks that have little umbrellas in them. I think Snowtigger has had enough of the snow in ND. Maybe we could just meet up at Scratcho's place then find a big boat after that? There must be some good deals on boats in Oregon? Maybe we could just live close to the beach?

snowtiggernd likes this.
  16. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I'm tired of snow. Was cold all the way down to Nebraska this year. Took the scoot with only got to ride three times.

17. stormountainman

I love motorbikes. I love to ride but afraid of being run over by aggressive auto drivers. I used to have a Honda and was in several near-miss accidents. I even had the rear wheel slide on little gravel left on the road after a snow storm. I used to ride my bike in the winter when I went to Colorado State. Lately I have been wondering how to use a bike for powering a backup generator system. In cloudy states we might not get sun like in Arizona? So, a solar power panel system might not produce enough for us. But, I will say that I truly like the feel and looks of the old Yamaha Virago 1100 with the twin V motor. It looks like a HD but it is one smooth machine. The Honda Aspencade is very smooth too, and rides like on a cloud!

18. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

A little power is enough power . That could mean just a mechanical farm windmill . It could drive a horizontal
    shaft via flywheel , much like an old sewing machine . Sustainable . Grease it . Oh , and I'm ready to relocate
    now . Where am I going ? Have a guess ...

19. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

... itsa gotta be surreal and also of moderate climate .

20. stormountainman

What do you all think of Pahrump Nevada, or Goldfield Nevada?