Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I hope to have things lined up by spring. I would love to go to California or Oregon but land is too expensive. I like northern Arizona but we would have to truck water in, at $500 per truck. So, I am open to ideas. Michigan has some nice prices on small acreage. I also want a dog. I've lived three years with out a dog and I want one bad. So, we definitely will need small acreage.

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Free land is best . And please don't pop that balloon since it can travel far and send you messages
    like a ufo .

3. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Land to Build on - farm land

That's 80 miles south of Lincoln. Close to the Kansas border. Probobly 30ish from Beatrice.
    But it was -13 down there a couple days ago.

4. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Need water , need fire . This is small askance . A small fire is best ... little sticks even for sub-zero , in
    the earth shelter , at home beyond Babylon - Freelandia . In divine anarchy , insecure .

5. stormountainman

Well, what do you think of that property? Nebraska is a nice state. That southeast corner can be a bit sleepy, and Kansas like. I like the price on the land. I know we can have H2O easier than AZ. The cold winters are real windy there...i.e. Wind Chill Factor. I don't need to say that to you. Being from ND you already know about the wind chill. The places in Michigan that I've been checking out are the same...cheap land cold place. But, I am open to all ideas. Michigan could be a little more liberal and tolerant than southeast Nebraska. Maybe we should start voting, if we now have enough people?

6. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

No voting . No iffiness .

7. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I just seen it on Craigslist. I'm not in Nebraska yet.
    What I noticed is that if it's not way out in the sticks, it goes for well over 100,000.

8. stormountainman

That's what I was talking about: In MICH and ARIZ small acreage can be had for under $39000 and we could put up what we want. Anywhere there are Amish, the building code would be friendly? Indiana is Republican but cheap and winters are more mild than ND or Mich.

9. stormountainman

Tigger, here are three places in the Kingman AZ area:

1) 11208 E Hidden Valley Rd 86401 18.49 acres @ $48,000
    2) Four Wheel Dr Lot 179 37.52 acres @ $29,900
    3 TRES 40.14 acres @ $17,000

I am thinking the Hidden Valley place would have water/electric/perc test since it has a dilapidated house on it.

10. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

The Ozarks , water and forest and mild temps . But go down the holler and
    ya never come back . Play banjos .

11. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

Hey stormy, if you've been in bad winters then go for the Northern places as they get yearly nitrogen fixes. But iffn you have not lived in hard winter areas, starting to do so in your 'diminishing' years ain't such a wise idea.Unless one can find it in their heart to love winter - ....
    Can't live in an area and not go outside and be one with nature, to stay inside for over a few days, ain't healthy. If you cannot enjoy nature - well ... - sounds like your quality of life you are settling for is not overly enjoyable. Assisted living tends to be overly co-dependent, and most of us independent freaks have chosen - literally- not to go that Way.
    One allWays must find a Way to give true thanks for all opportunities to continue growing.

ZenKarma and stormountainman like this.
  12. iamjustme

iamjustme Wishful thinker HipForums Supporter

I live in Indiana (Southern) and there are several pretty large communal areas around here.
    The winters here are quite mild compared to more northern midwest. Usually, with an exception to this year, it doesn't get too cold till early-mid January. That will last till late February. In the deepest of winter here the daily high avg. is above freezing with daily lows in the mid 20's. Summers are however hot. High humidity and lots of 90 plus degree days from early July through late August.
    Acreage is cheap if it is hilly and wooded, farm land is as expensive here as anywhere else.

13. stormountainman

Thank you. I lived in Northern Colorado for 36 years and liked it. I have experienced 53 below -actual temp- in Colorado and Wyoming. When I was a trucker, I drove all the major Canadian Highways across the Canadian Rockies...places like Rogers Pass, Kicking Horse Pass, Salmon Arm, 100 Mile House, Fraser Valley, Penticton Grade, etc.

14. stormountainman

Old Wolf, you just gave me an idea: Why don't we get a bunch of people and live on board a boat...a yacht to be exact. Look at all the benefits. We would not have to cut the grass or shovel snow or rake oak leaves. We would just was the sea gull poop of every now and then with a bucket of water and a mop...swab the deck they call it? Some of the marinas in Florida let people live on board their boats, so why not us?

15. stormountainman

OK people, I want some Haitians and Nigerians living with us in our commune. That should really piss off the Republicans.

FritzDaKatx2 and snowtiggernd like this.
  16. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

17. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Met someone on Facebook heading to Arizona now with a pre-built parcel in Colorado you might find interesting?
    Not sure what sort of financing you can work out but I've pointed them in this direction.

stormountainman likes this.
  18. stormountainman

Thank you Fritz, we willin to check it out.

19. stormountainman

OK people, I have been thinking about this for some time. We have people willing to do this commune but we don't have a place yet. Once we do get a place, we need to be selective, because we only have a small group and no one has indicated they are willing to contribute to the GETTING of the property. In addition to acquiring a property, I was thinking of placing restrictions to keep Republicans out. Maybe if we tell the Republicans we do not wish to have sex with them...they might stay away. Wouldn't that be so swell? We could have a totally left wing liberal Democrat sort of existence in a beautiful setting, and some nice views of the hills, and have our veggie garden, and we could play our guitars and sing...without political pressure from Republicans!

ZenKarma and snowtiggernd like this.
  20. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Sounds like a plan to me.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    ZenKarma likes this.