Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Hi Tikoo. Paonia is a great idea. So is Naturita right close by Paonia. All that canyon country is just fabulous. I am going to have to buy a new guitar now!

2. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

How about a ghost town?
    https://youtu.be/CBLu0_hUOxs

1 person likes this.
  3. stormountainman

Hi Tigger, I am ready to go to your ghost town. Let's look into this. I know a really cool ghost town in Nevada. It's called Jarbridge! It's way up north near the Idaho border, north of Elko. Let's take a roll call of everyone on here who wants to do this and then take a vote on how we would be running our community. We'll need to figure out the money part, the building & land, the water and food. and so on. If we are all going to have equal shares, we'll have to have all that on paper.

4. stormountainman

I don't party anymore at my age but if you want to hang out with old geezers who drink tea and listen to Carlos Nakai, you are welcome.

scratcho likes this.
  5. stormountainman

Hey people, I found a few nice properties in Upper Michigan. The first is at 456 Elm street in Ironwood Michigan. It is a small house on a half acre lot with a detached garage...for $37900 and there are two raw land parcels on River Road...one with 20 acres and one with 56 acres. The prices are real cheap up there, because they get real winters. The one on Elm street could be redone with an addition or a Florida room. That part of Michigan is really nice. People from Upper Michigan are called Yoopers. So if you are interested in becoming a Yooper, let me know. We could even build an Earth-ship on one of the bare ground parcels! The Escanaba area is also nice but a little more expensive.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Did you check with zoning about that? Many places don't allow earth-ships because they equate it to burying tires which is illegal.

1 person likes this.
  7. stormountainman

Hi Mister T, I haven't looked into that in that county in the U.P. You make a very good point. Now I am thinking that other stuff could be put into the walls, like cans and glass bottles. In that part of Michigan you've got to insulate. I'll have to call the county to see if anything going into the walls would be construde as "in the ground" or any other way. I was just looking at that place because of the prices. My uncle owned some acreage along the Ohio river east of Cinncinatti and that land was expensive. Indiana has cheap stuff but its full of Evangelicals. So, Yoopers might not be a bad idea? I hope you decide to join up! I just want to sit on the porch and listen to Danny O'Keefe sing Good Time Charley.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Here's the thing... I own this place here and don't have any plans on selling it.

1 person likes this.
  9. stormountainman

I can dig Mister T. You are welcome anyhow. You're lucky you have a home. I know thirty guys on the streets in Colorado who wish they had what you have. My dream is to find a way to build a nice little intentional community for people like me and like my friends...children of that lesser God.

10. Alice in SC

Alice in SC Senior Member

Would this be like a free love thing? I was in to that in my younger days. Sounds Exciting!

11. stormountainman

It is about helping people who are homeless.
    It is about helping people who are old.
    It is about helping people on limited income.
    It is about cooking together.
    It is about making music together.
    It is about building together.
    It is about gathering water and food together.
    It is about gardening together.
    So far no one has indicated an interest in Free Love in the context that was applicable in the sixties; however, Mister T might be able to help. He is younger than me.

12. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

You buy it - we'll rent rooms and or spoot camping spots . Once that community seems to be ok , then sell it .

13. stormountainman

I ended up with exactly the same problem here in Indiana. The critters got most of my food and I had to go to the coop to buy my share.

14. stormountainman

Come on people. This commune idea is great for older hippies who have to live on a limited next to nothing income, because Trump and Pence want tax cuts for bizsillionaires. If just a few of us get together and agree on how to run a small commune and where to set it up, we could create a place that would be good for all of us. I've seen what people our age look like in the homeless shelters and SROs (single room occupancy apartments) and I started to cry. Sometimes the workers act like they care for the homeless, and sometimes they act like they care about only their paycheck. And the older you are, the less people care about you. So let's explore this and come up with a plan we could enact by Spring! Peace and Love To All Hippies...even the barefoot ones!

15. stormountainman

OK People, I would like to know how many of you would be willing to go and start a commune in Morocco? Morocco is a little more liberal than other Middle Eastern countries. It is run by a king, so their laws could be rigid in some ways. Then again, their laws might be better than living under a government run by Trump & Pence. Morocco has a big long coastline that is along the Mediterranean Sea on one side and the Atlantic Ocean on the other. Also there are the Atlas Mountains to enjoy. Their villages are beautiful and some have cool festivals, like the Orange Blossom Celebration.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  16. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I see Drop City (near Trinidad CO) is going again .

snowtiggernd likes this.
  17. stormountainman

Hi Tikoo, I did not hear about that. That's in southern Colorado, near New Mexico. Lots of mountains there. There are a few earth ships in that area that were started and abandoned. I'll check it out.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  18. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

19. stormountainman

20. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I'm heading for Lincoln NE mid January. I can look around there, see if there's anything.