Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

[​IMG]

Last I checked, Mesquite flour is selling for about $16 per lb. online in the event folks decide on the southwest and want a bit of a revenue stream to play with once established.

P1. Ch. 1 ^^ https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/ttu-ir/bitstream/handle/2346/8377/31295003638896.pdf?sequence=1

Find something with a few acres of healthy, well established Mesquite and bring or build a flour mill and you're talking 6 figures if you market direct.
    I think this stuff should be the next "superfood" and we should try to cut that market value by 3/4 at least so more folks could actually afford to try it.

As-is it makes for a pretty pricey Pancake. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Fritz, I like your ideas but at my age all that is too much work for me, so I will leave the Mesquite operation and rock operation to younger guys. I would be happy with a basic garden so I can have mint tea. I like lentil soup and lentils are cheap at the coop.

1 person likes this.
  3. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Good news- I rescued my rock saw! It looks like a POS, but to replace it, new, means $5,000+. Not so ugly now! Needs put together and maybe a few parts custom made. Takes an 11" blade.

2 people like this.
  4. stormountainman

Logan, how far do you live from Spanish Fork/American Fork area?

5. Logan 5

South about 2 hours.

1 person likes this.
  6. stormountainman

Beaver, Cedar City, Salina, I am familiar with them from when I drove a truck. Cool country down there, It would seem that we could score a nice chunk of land in that area, I don't know the water law in Utah, or how far we have to drill for a well. The average well in Front Range Colorado is 350 feet! Right now I only have enough for a Fred Flintstone drill! Maybe we could convince Snowtigger to help operate a water well drill?

7. Logan 5

In that general area, I suppose. I sent you my number, or are you afraid the telephone's gonna bite your ear off? [​IMG][​IMG]

8. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

What's a Fred Flintstone well drill?

9. stormountainman

I will go back and check my messages to see where your number went????

10. stormountainman

It looks a lot like Fred Flintstone's car...runs on pedal power. I was trying to get a chuckle out of you! We can share water well drilling duties if you want.

11. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

We can build our own.
    I'd like to see a video of that thing in operation.

https://youtu.be/mUKtjMAF8jU

1 person likes this.
  12. stormountainman

Wow Snowtigger. that is one cool drill outfit. if four people put their power into it, they could drill deeper than just one person with a bicycle type rig. In rocky Colorado you have to go 350 feet. In a place like Indiana you get water at 45 feet. So if we get water at say 150 feet, we might have pretty safe water. Indiana is easy but the ground water has AG chemicals. I don't want glysophate in my water. That's why I wanted to move back out west. Cool video!

13. stormountainman

Hey Logan, there is a ranch (I think) selling 20 acers for $12000 north of Cedar City off Zane road? It has to be off I 15 ...maybe to the west?

14. stormountainman

I think that I can run everything off the solar system if we get RV appliances that work off 12 volt. We'll need less power from the panels but we'll need extra batteries like what you get on a semi truck...meaning 1000 cranking amp batteries...like about ten of them. We'll be able to do a lot with that power from the sun. We'll only need a little backup generator for charging our NI-CAD/lithium drills and saws etc. I already have a good bunch of tools. We'll need to vote on a location and a place and go and see the damn bank in that town! I am willing to live out of a tent trailer while we take time to build an earthship or a cabin or used mobile homes bolted together.

15. stormountainman

OK people, if you don't want to try a commune in the USA, then let's have a look at other countries which might be welcoming to a bunch of long haired non-tradtional Hippies from America. I lived in Africa in the 1960s and liked it for the most part. Maybe we could look at Tanzania or South Africa? There are some Islands off the coast of Africa, maybe we could look at them? Ecuador was going to let Julian Assange take refuge in their country. Maybe Ecuador would welcome us too? Maybe the cops are not so abusive in these places as they are in the USA?

16. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

How about an Indian rez ? Looking on-line at the Lakota Rosebud rez in SD there are zero places to buy , zero to rent . It's
    an off-line place , that's all . Probably you just show up and make a stand ... a poor one .

17. stormountainman

Zero places to buy there because it belongs to the Bureau of Indian Affairs. No body can touch it because it stays Indian for ever.

18. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Why do you write such nonsense as that ? The natives can do what they want to . These days Tribal entities encourage members (who may wish
    to sell their individual tribal land holdings ) to sell it to the Tribal entity . Probably the BIA maintains some control of housing the govt provided , and
    this may explain the wrecked and abandoned mobile homes seen along the rural highways .

In the beginnings of the Indian rez' , all land was held communally . In the early 1900's Congress changed this arrangement to individual allotments -
    thus land parcels were up for sale . Alien cowboys made ranches of them here and there .

If a humble world-class hippie wishes to live and participate in an Indian community ... this can happen .

19. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I wouldn't feel right about doing it.
    If we were invited, that would be different.

20. stormountainman

I lived just a few hours from Pine Ridge and Rose Bud and Crow agency. I was told it is Tribal Land and falls under the BIA. I with Tigger here on this. I would not feel right unless we were invited. There are some nice sections of land near White Clay Nebraska that are right next to Pine Ridge. We might be able to score something and be their neighbors. Tigger started out talking about Mexico. I'm starting to like that idea...if we can actually buy the land.