Adrenochrome?

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by mr_belvedere, May 23, 2004.

1. mr_belvedere

mr_belvedere Member

Of course you all know this question is coming from that great book/movie/failed journalistic experiment turned drug extravagansa starrin Dr.Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Is this shit real, do people do it, i mean i know that the book is based of a true event with some journalistic license of course but accurate for the most part. anyone ever hear of or know someone who has done this shit?

2. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

omg i love hunter thompson. he fucking rules. however, i do not know if it is real. im guessing theres a good chance it is.

"you took too much man. too much too much."
    fear and loathing in las vegas is the best movie.

3. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Adrenochrome is a real substance (3-hydroxy-1-methyl-5,6-indoline-dione), but it's psychedelic effects appear to be mostly the stuff of legend, I'm afraid.

Profound effects were claimed from tiny dosages in one early paper, but many subsequent studies failed to find anything spectacular at all. And the stuff about it being extracted from the pineal glands of cadavers is pure Hunter Thomson gonzo bullshit. :)

A bunch of information available at:

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/adrenochrome/adrenochrome.shtml

4. Becknudefck

oooh but it is not bull shit. and he said from the adrenaline gland of a human body. anyhow, thonpson is excellent. but wow im adding that shit to my list of drugs to do.

5. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

yeah, i think he meant adrenal gland, not penial. If that was the case, though, some quite interesting situations would insue.

6. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

rofl, it was "pineal" not "penial". I don't know what he wrote, but the pineal gland is about melatonin.

and adrenochrome is nothing special anyway, it's just regular adrenalin turned "bad" because of oxidation.

7. Becknudefck

lmao. oh really? i must look into it then before i do it and get bad vibes off of it.

8. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

I just dug out my copy of FALILV, and HST claimed that the only source for adrenochrome was the adrenal gland of a LIVING human being, and his source was suppoosedly a "satanist client" of his attorney, who presumably practiced human sacrifice.

At any rate, adrenochrome is not obtained by human sacrifice. It is the oxidation product of adrenaline (epinephrine), and is used medicinally in some countries. No reports of psychedelic trips by patients, though....

More at the erowid page.

9. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

all i know is HST reports using it in FAL on the campaign trail '72....so....las vegas wasnt the first time he did it.

10. crackforkids

crackforkids Senior Member

ok. i am really confused. what does EROWID say the REASON for using this drug would be? i thought at one point it was an anti-psychotic. prolly not.

and my dad has a seringe full of epinephrine in case he has an allergic reaction. i mean, i think thats what it is. sounds jus like it. that would pop your heart if you tried to abuse it, right?

i thought the pineal gland HST was talking about was the gland where DMT is naturally contained, hence the DMT like visions (tits growing on back) very "naoto hattori" -like (if you know who that is)

and could adrenaline even be abused, i never thought so

11. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

yeah I love that movie too

12. Ediction421

Ediction421 Member

Isn't it super easy to make?

13. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

Just leave adrenaline exposed to oxygen until it turns pink.

14. Marley-Sunshine

Marley-Sunshine Member

I don't think they were talking about adrenochrome concerning the reference to the pineal gland; they were talking about DMT (Dimethyltryptamine), which is naturally produced in your pineal gland.

15. Zaruthustra

Zaruthustra Member

Well...what are we waiting for? Whose got 72 bux and some balls?

URL deleted

I believe it's used in other countries for heart problems or something. I also remember Huxely making remarks about it being similar to mescaline and the implications of such a substance being present in the human body. But I don't remember if he actually tried it.

16. loverofthewoods

loverofthewoods Member

youd be suprised my freind...sure not all adrenochrome is, but that dosent mean all isnt

17. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

Who said killing people wasn't productive?

18. Psilodelix

Psilodelix Member

I'm not sure of the source but I remember reading some time back the when the french were in north america fighining aginst the people that really belonged there, there was often shortages of adrenaline (this happened in WW1 also) so occasionally they would (for what ever reason I dunno) administer 'pink adrenaline'. They reported that this was often accompanied by horrific hallucinations and delusions. Could you imagine an adrenochrome trip while you're trying to recover from battle wounds!

There is a peice of the chemical puzzle missing here but even if it's figured out... I don't think that adrenochrome will be something people should do to trip off, it just seems way too crazy... but more power to ya.

-PsDX

19. madboy139

madboy139 Member

dr. shulgin says adrenochrome is not hallucinogenic

20. SoFarAway

SoFarAway Friendly Fried Guy

If I could get it, I'd try it, and let you all know whats up.