Adoption in Islam

Discussion in 'Islam' started by Strawberry_Fields_Fo, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

I heard somewhere (granted, it was an unreliable source) that there is some law in the Koran that forbids adoption. Today, it is also illegal for foreigners to adopt in most islamic countries. Is this all true, and if so, why?

-Kate

2. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

First we must no the difference between 2 things, namley child sponsoring and adoption. As for adoption it means that you take a child and rise him up exacly as if he was your own kid. This would mean that knowledge of her/his lineage would be lost, this is forbidden in Islam as it protects ones lineage.

Sponsoring a child means bringing a kid up in your home or another home but not make him take your name or forbidding that which is allowed or allowing that which is forbidding. This is indeed a very good deed and may Allah(may he be exalted) have mercy on those muslims who do that. More about this here: http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=5201&dgn=4

3. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Thanks for the info.

But what about the instance where a child is abandonded by the side of the road and it is impossible to tell their lineage whether they are legally adopted or just sponsored? What do you do with the child then?

4. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

If the situation is as described then this is fard kifaayah on the Muslims– if some Muslims do it then the rest will not be counted as having sinned, but if none of them do it then they will all be sinners, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“nor has He made your adopted sons your real sons. That is but your saying with your mouths. But Allâh says the truth, and He guides to the (Right) Way. Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allâh. But if you know not their father’s (names, call them) your brothers in Faith and Mawâlîkum (your freed slaves). And there is no sin on you concerning that in which you made a mistake, except in regard to what your hearts deliberately intend. And Allâh is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [al-Ahzaab 33:4-5]

5. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

why is protects ones lineage important ?

6. tom

tom Member

A muslim is walking down a road. He comes upon someone with two broken legs, can't move, and will surely starve to death. What is he to do?

7. tom

tom Member

Still waiting on an answer.........

8. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

Allah(may he be exalted) tells us in Quran (Interpretation of the meaning) :
    5:32 On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our messengers with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.

If the muslim would of chose to save the life of this person I think he should tell him of his religion, because surley someone who is in need of you listens more than the one who is not, just like the story of Joseph(peace be upon him) when he was in jail and 2 men came and wanted to have their dreams explained and he said:
    (Interpretation of the meaning)
    12:37 He said: "Before any food comes (in due course) to feed either of you, I will surely reveal to you the truth and meaning of this ere it befall you: that is part of the (duty) which my Lord hath taught me. I have (I assure you) abandoned the ways of a people that believe not in Allah and that (even) deny the Hereafter.

12:38 "And I follow the ways of my fathers,- Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and never could we attribute any partners whatever to Allah: that (comes) of the grace of Allah to us and to mankind: yet most men are not grateful.

And he continues preaching to them about his religion until he says:
    (Interpretation of the meaning)
    12:41 "O my two companions of the prison! As to one of you, he will pour out the wine for his lord to drink: as for the other, he will hang from the cross, and the birds will eat from off his head. (so) hath been decreed that matter whereof ye twain do enquire"...

I could help this person by bringing him to a hospital or whatever but without doubt the best thing I could do is not to give him money or medicine but to try to tell him of that which is most dear to me, my faith. Everything else will disappear, money, family, health and finally your own life.
    Allah(may he be exalated) says (Interpretation of the meaning):
    55:26 All that is on earth will perish:
    55:27 But will abide (for ever) the Face of thy Lord,- full of Majesty, Bounty and Honour.

9. strawpuppy

strawpuppy Member

My sister in Law many years ago and in another third world country, became such a devout Christian, that one could only describe her faith as "Fanatical".....
    Her father an old man, broke his leg....She refused to let him go to hospital because she truly believed that her faith would heal him...She prayed constantly over him for two days, at which point his injuries became common knowledge and he was taken to hospital, with his daughter duly wailing, crying and calling his TRUE saviors as Infidels behind him....All the way....

10. tom

tom Member

"I could help this person by bringing him to a hospital or whatever but without doubt the best thing I could do is not to give him money or medicine ..."

Exactly. You would shout a few words and step right over him. Oh what a compassionate cult islam is....Speaking of compassion, how do you feel about the decapitation of an innocent man who was trying to help muslims but instead of murdered by them in the name of their fals god>