Adopt A Senior Dog?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Is there anyone who has the ability to adopt a senior dog?

A friend, in Martinsville, Virginia, who has housed senior pets for many years is unable to continue. Her health is failing and she won't be able to return home to continue caring for her "old guys".

I have photos of a few of the dogs, with more to come.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Asmodean and newbie-one like this.
  2. morrow

morrow Visitor

I wish i could help, alas im too far away, but i wish you all the look in finding them homes.
    oldies offer so much, they are cute guys... give them a home,,, they deserve it.

Aerianne likes this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I wish i could
    I have a friend in Florida who is very active in dog rescues
    She may know someone in Virginia who could help.
    Let me know if you want me to reach out to her

4. Aerianne

Thank you, I will.

There is a senior pet rescue in TN that is being reached out to so maybe we will have some luck.

Meliai likes this.
  5. Aerianne

Miss Lou would just rest so much easier if she could get each one of these guys placed in their own homes before she leaves this earth.

6. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Goddammit times I wish I had a truck & gas money

7. Aerianne

The dogs can be networked for rides, most likely.

I appreciate your thoughts but these guys are old and most need some extra comfort, medication, etc. so someone who works long and hard with the outdoor lifestyle probably wouldn't be an ideal caretaker for these particular dogs.

Tyrsonswood and Running Horse like this.
  8. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I'm not really in a position to help directly either, but I applaud the effort.

Hope these old doggies can find a new loving home

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Martinsville! Best place ever! Had the day of my life there.

10. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Got sidetracked by the walkin' talkin' death of humanity elsewhere. Anyway you'd be surprised how good it is out here for animals but medications would definitely be an issue. Besides the guy who runs it won't let people who stay here bring dogs without a certain amount of plannin'. Can't wait to hear about homes bein' found.

11. Aerianne

Thank you.

I'll keep everyone posted, here.

12. Aerianne

Miss Lou writes:

Louie needs a very special home. He is a tiny Maltese mix who was found alone on the side of a country road. No one wanted him because he was too much trouble.

I found him on Craigslist....free to good home. He came home to me. He weighs about 7 lbs and the vet thinks he is about 15 yrs old.. He is totally blind but he can go anywhere in the house that he wants to. He really needs a vet visit but I have not been well enough to take him. My prayer for Louie is that he finds someone who will give him all the love he deserves.

All this old guy wants is soft food and a warm bed. Please help Louie find a home in a loving heart.

[​IMG]

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I like this one :)

Running Horse likes this.
  14. Aerianne

I love it's face, too.

The good news is that I found out Miss Lou only has these three left.

15. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I could use a ready trained dog. But I'm just too stingy to pay any vet bills

16. Aerianne

Here is a synopsis of Miss Lou's recent life with her pets, in her own words:

"My old guys are perfectly safe. They have frequent company and plenty of outside playtime. They can be separated and there is no rush to rehome them. I want them to be loved and have a family of their own again.

I lived in High Point NC when I started rescuing senior dogs. I loved it. But High Point University bought the house I had rented for 18 yrs. I had 12 dogs and I had to move. That wasn't easy but I found a double wide fixer upper near Lexington that I could afford. It really seemed like a perfect place for all of us. We moved in Mar 1, 2011. In April I was hospitalized with severe COPD.

I couldn't get better but we stayed there and I qualified for disability. We were together.

In fall of 2013 friends came from Ga to NC to do some repairs on my trailer. They discovered mold growing beneath the trailer from all of the water leaks that the previous owner never bothered to mention. My COPD kept getting worse.

This time with a houseful of senior dogs and cats was the happiest time of my life. But my COPD is end stage and I have 3 of my old guys left. It is time for them to find a new loving home. Tomorrow I will post pictures and information. God bless you all for caring and praying all of these years."

17. Aerianne

Miss Lou's details on the dogs in the top pics:

Family stops by to check on them, feed them, and let them out several times during the day but most of the time they are alone. I Don't know when or if I will be able to go home.

Cheyenne is a medium sized lady from Ga. She was found in a home with her owner who had been dead about 4 days. She is very timid and seems to be afraid of people. There is no aggression and she loves other dogs and cats. She is spayed and about 15 yrs old.

The next one is 15 yr old Jack who was free from a backyard breeder. He and 2 little females had spent their lives outside in a kennel. Jack had not been neutered. I met his keeper halfway. She pulled up and handed him over. As she started to pull out I stopped her and asked what his name was. She slowed, yelled "Jack" out the window and disappeared.

The last one is Louie. He is about 15 and blind. He was found alone, walking down the side of the road.

I will be posting more on these old guys. I am going slowly and finding the best homes for them. Ask any questions and I will answer as soon as possibe.

Irminsul likes this.
  18. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

not to derail the thread, but I'd also encourage people to adopt adult/older/senior cats. some of the most lovable little bastards ever.

GLENGLEN and Aerianne like this.
  19. Aerianne

I got word that the little white, blind dog died.