Acrylics on fired clay?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by sleepy_ashes, Jan 4, 2005.

1. sleepy_ashes

sleepy_ashes Member

So I've been really into psychadelic and psychadelic inspired art as of late.... and paper only goes so far so I've been using my paints on various objects round the house. Check my gallery to see a styrofoam monkey I painted up. :)

ANYYYYYWHOOO........ I made this "box o' body" in art class a few years ago, it's just a box with a lid that comes off, some fingers are the handles, and the sides are adorned with ears and noses and eyes and a big chinned grin. So naturally I wanna paint that hum-degro up.

The problem? All I have is acrylics and watercolors.... and I know watercolors won't work.... so does anyone know if acrylics will go on well, and stay, already fired clay?

2. paix

paix Senior Member

is it bisque fired, or glazed already? If it's just bisqued, then acrylic away, no worries, you can also find a sort of clear coat for it that will make it nice and shiny and finished looking, but you're going to want to leave it outside, and ONLY outside for atleast a couple of days. Please do not leave it in the house as it dries, it's very very toxic.

you could also use watercolors on it at this point, and I bet it would look really pretty, the ancient Greeks used to use watercolor on pottery, but it will not last, and you're going to want to keep it away from water, but a box isn't going to have water in it anyway. It's also not food safe, and niether is acrylic (especially not acrylic), so keep all food, including candy and stuff out of it.

If it's already glazed, you could prolbably paint over it with acrylic, but most likley it wouldn't work too well, and it would most likley wash off. Once the clay is glazed and fired again, it's been sealed, so all the stuff in it that would absorb the moisture in the paint is no longer there. I wouldn't suggest it then, but anything is worth trying once!

good luck :)

3. sleepy_ashes

sleepy_ashes Member

Damn, well thank you so kindly friend, that was the perfect answer, and then some!

It isn't fired, I don't usually dig the look of glaze... specially since this was more of a fleshy piece. So I'll be painting some dry hard skin now :)

4. paix

paix Senior Member

I'm so glad I could help, if you can post pics when you're done, I'd love to se how it turns out!