Accept all religions, except Christianity

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Desos, May 4, 2020.

1. Desos

Desos Senior Member

So it seems like society at large wants to accept everyone these days. But then when you get to talking about Christians people are like oh no not those guys. Granted I think that Christians could do much much better as a whole, that still doesn't change the foundation of what Christianity is built on.

So why does Christianity catch so much Flak? Or didn't Jesus prophesy that it would?

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't notice this, probably a persecution complex.

Maybe it's specific to your area.

themnax, Driftrue and mysticblu21 like this.
  3. Dax

Dax Members

All religions deserve an equal amount of flak.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

By default? Why? They're all the same?

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Which denomination? Do you mean organized Western religion as a whole?

6. Dax

Dax Members

Every cult that believes in a all seeing all knowing deity that created the universe is what I mean.

7. Asmodean

So not all religions in a long shot.

Tishomingo likes this.
  8. Dax

Dax Members

All.

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i assume OP is referring to western society. which basically means, the society that is constantly bombarded by christians saying stupid shit in the name of christianity. i'm sure if there were millions of buddhists all over the US announcing that god hates poor people or some shit, they would get a lot of flack too.

so basically i see two reasons. 1) a lot of people like to say horribly unchristian things in the name of christianity, and 2) those are the people that we're exposed to all the time, so we get sick of it faster than when other religions do similar things. it's just like politics; personally i dislike both democrats and republicans, but the fact that everyone around me is a hardcore republican makes me way more likely to talk shit about that party than the other.

Tishomingo and themnax like this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think it's because Jesus is an alien and we can't really trust aliens.

11. Asmodean

Just because he rode a dinosaur doesn't mean he was an alien.

Running Horse likes this.
  12. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Its not so much Christianity as some the people who are so vocal in calling themselves Christian. Like today my neighbor put a big Trust In Jesus sign outside the door of her apartment building which happens to be my apartment building. I think everybody in the unit is Christian including me, so I guess she assumed no one would mind. I mind. I think its a Pharisaical thing to do. It's and eyesore and tends to cast Christianity in a bad light. To presume it's okay to do this without asking the rest of the neighbors is--well--presumptuous. It's perfectly legal to post the Ten Commandments, Jesus signs, plaster saints or whatever on one wishes on one's won property--although I think it's in bad taste. To do this on community property is pushing it. The foundation of Christianity is solid, but if the MAGA crew continue their efforts to co-opt the religion, I'm afraid we'll have lots more atheists in the world.

13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Because in America at least it's the Christians who force their views into society. People are told that even though there is a separation of church and state it does not really apply. They naively say the founders were Christian and wish to have a government similar to Sharia law but with Christianity.

Abortions, cakes, saying the word Christmas and not holiday. All of these things matter in America and only because there is a religious opinion they are right. They don't really matter or stop one from doing it in their own life. It's the idea someone else might not live as they do.

So in general if someone is pissed off at a religion it's the Christians because Rome was a long time ago. They are not victims. They wish to force others to live as they did in Rome.

Tishomingo likes this.
  14. onceburned

onceburned Banned

religion is used to start wars, and oppress people for the gain of the "church"

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

only if they're illegal.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

They're the ones that stand up and fight they.

They just bad ass.

17. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

.........Buddhadammit

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I blame America tbh. Christians in America are far different from Christians in Europe I feel.

I find that European Christians still hold some of their cultural values whereas America being a new country and immigration don't have those same cultural values. They're different. They use the bible to justify their negative behaviour too, I don't see that much in Europe.

Running Horse likes this.
  19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find American bibles differentiate between other bibles too, so like, they're written for American audience. I've read American history books that refer to nations back in the dark ages as the countries they are today. Such as Rome was called Italy and Germania was Germany, so I wouldn't question my own thoughts about an American Bible version either.

Not that I have any interest in reading two versions.

I also notice that American towns are often called the same towns or cities as many European cities so I wouldn't put it past some people to read a story in the bible about Palestine and think it's the City in Texas. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Most all our towns here are Spanish, which I doubt anyone is going to conflate with a Biblical town or sound Native American translated to English.

Last edited: May 6, 2020