Accents

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Candybuttons, May 9, 2018.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Dammit!! I still can't get it! That guy must REALLY be funny.

2. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Very few mentioned i have an accent. I don't think i have much of one. I'm more likely to notice them in others.

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Celtics and Sixiz tonight at the Gahden

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Where I live, the two predominant accents around here are American and Mexican.

There’s no diversity of accents west of the Rocky Mountains; we all sound the same out here.

Thus, it’s nice to hear a different accent when it comes along. A pretty girl with a southern accent will make my heart melt pretty quick.

Candybuttons likes this.
  5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I watched a show, Stella, that supposedly took place in Wales. It took forever to get the hang of their accents.

I've watched a couple of Australian series and get them pretty well. I did notice some of those actors said "schedule" and some said "shedule".

6. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I definitely have an accent...and have no interest in changing it. However, that was not always the case...when I was growing up, I had cousins from all over the US come and visit and make fun of my accent mercilessly. So, of course I learned how to talk like which ever group of cousins I was around. When I remember that it makes me mad on so many different levels...but mostly at myself for changing to suit others and/or paying attention to jackasses making fun of me. Godalmighty.

As far as my accent goes - think of the old show Designing Women. I would compare my accent to Dixie Carter (rip) or Jean Smart...and I actually like my southern accent.

Meliai and Candybuttons like this.
  7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i still haven't figured this one out. the way i pronounce words is the way i was taught from childhood to pronounce words. further, if i look words up in the dictionary, the symbols explaining how to pronounce words fit what i was taught on pronunciation. yet people that aren't from around here claim that i have an accent. so i really don't know if people in different regions are actually taught different pronunciations for different words/dictionary symbols, or what.

Candybuttons likes this.
  8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Living in the US, if I were to compare internationally, I feel everywhere else has the accent. An example of this is I don't understand how people from the UK or Australia who are really good singers, all of a sudden sound American when they are singing.x

As far as within the US goes, I don't feel I have an "accent" but I tend to speak with kind of a particular phrasing and cadence that I think might be relatively local to the West Coast.

Candybuttons likes this.
  9. Candybuttons

Candybuttons Sweet Member

Exactly my thoughts!

10. Candybuttons

I’m not sure if I have ever heard a Canadian say aboot.
    We do say Eh a lot at the end of a sentence.
    We also say sorry way to much, but we are known for being nice people. :)

scratcho likes this.
  11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Downeast Maine has it's own unique accent

12. Flashdown

Flashdown Members

I'm an Afrikaans speaking South African and when I speak English I have a slight accent compared to English speaking South Africans. I lived in the UK for a couple of years and could not believe how their accents change depending which part of the UK you are.

Candybuttons likes this.
  13. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Did a road trip to Rogerville Tennessee.
    I pulled over at a gas station just shy of Rogerville. Asked the gas clerk for some final directions....

She said " juss go ova tu hywayy levin' doubleya an tur wryet"

I said thanks, walked out and told dad " I have no idea what the fuck she said" too much accent for me to understand.

scratcho, Candybuttons and McFuddy like this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh yea we stopped in to a KFC in Tennessee just outside of Bristol and we could not understand the guy at the counter at all. It was real yokel lol. He realised we weren't from round dere parts and we ended up talking for ages but seriously, I couldn't even tell you about. We just kept talking about our trip lol. I remember understanding him asking where we are from. And he was dorky too, with red hair and glasses. Kind of like teenage Milhouse, but red hair.

Candybuttons and Pete's Draggin' like this.
  15. Klimax2gether

Klimax2gether Members

Every one have accents if they are used to speak in native language. People can actively train their voices and loose the native accent and adapt to the new environment.

Candybuttons likes this.
  16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't know how its not the same thing; thinking everyone else has an accent or you do. living within the same couple of hundred miles of donner summit as i have most of my life, i'm not aware of sounding any different then the people around me. i've been a few places where people sound different. pronounce words different.

i've been to new york and to the south, two different place where people 'talk funny' to the ears of us left coasters. but then its kind of logical to expect that, in regions far enough away from you're own stomping ground wherever that may be.

i like hearing the sound of different accents, even different languages. when i was little i used to play doing them.
    but i haven't traveled as much in the last few decades as i did growing up or even in my twenty somethings.

Candybuttons likes this.
  17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not aboot-- a boat.

18. Candybuttons

Yes aboat is more like it! Lol

scratcho likes this.
  19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

scratcho likes this.
  20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Ah, so you have an old school southern belle accent, an accent that is sadly dying off. My grandmothers and great aunts all spoke with this sort of southern accent and somehow my mom and her siblings and all their children, myself included, dont have much of an accent at all. Guess thats the influence of television and all the northern and western transplants around here

I wish this accent was more common, most southerners these days either dont have an accent or sound like they're talking with rocks in their mouth. I work with a lot of people from tiny towns in spartanburg county like cowpens and chesnee and I spend most of the work day cringing everytime they open their mouths lol

But the type of southern accent you have is pure class :)

Lynnbrown likes this.