Abrams vs. Kemp Georgia Governor's Race

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Aerianne, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2018 Georgia Gubernatorial Election results
    Live
    Updated at 8:34 AM EST

Votes · 100% reporting
    50.5%
    Brian Kemp
    REP

48.6%
    Stacey Abrams
    DEM

0.9%
    Ted Metz
    LIB

Stacey Abrams wants to wait until all the absentee and provisional ballot votes are counted. She believes that when they are all counted it will bring the Kemp total below the 50% mark which would require a runoff election to be held on December 4, 2018. Abrams, Kemp await more ballots in Georgia governor's race

The holiday season is going to be a tumultuous time if there is a delay in naming a Governor for the state.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Do you think it is close enough to necessitate waiting for mail-ins?

3. Aerianne

Either candidate could ask for a recount if the vote comes down to less than 1% between them.

Also, a candidate can seek a recount if there is more than a 1% difference between them.

"This would be done if they think there is some sort of obvious, egregious error in the way the numbers are counted," Richey said. "Then, they would have to show a judge or other state officials their logic and reasons behind why the doubt the results. Then, if there is corroborating evidence they can show, it is likely a candidate-initiated recount would take place." What happens next in the Georgia governor's race?

soulcompromise likes this.
  4. Aerianne

Stacey Abrams thinks that it is, especially in the Metro-Atlanta area where there is a high concentration of Democratic voters.

If Kemp and Abrams were to finish below 50 percent, they would meet in a Dec. 4 runoff. Abrams' campaign estimated early Wednesday morning that there are at least 97,000 ballots to be counted and she'd need a net gain of 24,379 votes to trigger a runoff.Abrams, Kemp await more ballots in Georgia governor's race

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. soulcompromise

Well I hope they don't keep you waiting too long, Aerianne.

While I had hoped to see a democrat, I don't have a vested interest. I hope for the best thing for Georgia, really.

6. Aerianne

It's just going to keep tensions so high between the people. I hate it. I really wish there had been a clear and distinct winner.

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Brian Kemp – 1,962,547

Stacey Abrams – 1,887,161

That is a margin of 75,386

It makes you wonder what the outcome would have been if there had been no voter suppression?

To me this isn’t a win for Kemp it is a loss for Georgia, I mean his legitimacy is always going to be questioned because of the voter suppression and since he is not going to work to improve the corrupt system (and might even try to make it worse) he will be excluding half of his constituency, like Trump he is likely to work for his base not for the good of everyone in the state.

8. Aerianne

Georgia counties have until November 13, 2018 to certify results. This includes mail in ballots.

One county, Doughterty County, is still having it's mail routed through Tallahasse, FL because of Hurricane Michael so Abrams has asked Governor Nathan Deal to extend the deadline for their certification until November 16, 2018.

Once those deadlines have passed and certified results are turned into the state the Secretary Of State has until November 20, 2018 to hear any challenges and to certify results for the state. Who won? Runoff? What's going on with the Georgia governor's race.

9. Aerianne

This is what the Secretary of State's office and what Abram's campaign manager are saying:

“We are leaving all of our options on the table,” including litigation, Abrams’ campaign manager Lauren Groh-Wargo said. She estimated Wednesday that about 15,000 votes separate Kemp from a runoff. She says at least that many outstanding absentee and mail-in ballots remained to be counted.

Kemp’s spokeswoman in the secretary of state’s office, Candice Broce, said that by Wednesday afternoon the number of uncounted absentee and mail-in ballots was less than 2,000 — with her boss still above the 50 percent threshold.

Broce said about 22,000 provisional ballots have yet to be processed, according to a canvass of county officials across the state. Mahoney ( a top Kemp campaign adviser) asserted that those numbers make it impossible for Abrams to pick up enough votes to deny Kemp an outright victory.

Kemp’s office has not released a county-by-county breakdown of provisional ballots, but Abrams’ campaign said they believe they are concentrated in metro Atlanta counties where Abrams won a large share of the vote. Kemp's campaign declares victory in Georgia's governor race

10. Aerianne

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its a shame she didnt win I think.

Does seem she technically might have if not for dodgy tactics

McFuddy, Balbus and soulcompromise like this.
  12. Aerianne

She's not conceding.

13. Aerianne

Brian Kemp will be resigning his position as Secretary Of State at 11:59 a.m. today.

The interim Secretary Of State will step in immediately to perform that office's duties.

14. Aerianne

I see the AP saying that they have the county by county breakdown of votes. They were given these at about 10 a.m. Thursday morning.

Stacey Abrams is getting what she wants. Brian Kemp has resigned and the county breakdown has been released. Both of these before her attorneys gave their news conference.

In fact, Kemp’s office did release to the AP a county-level breakdown about the same time he started speaking in Deal’s office Thursday. GOP gov candidate Kemp resigns as Georgia secretary of state

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  15. Aerianne

My question is, if you didn't have a valid ID to prove your registered voter's status on Tuesday, how are you going to have it by Friday at 5 p.m.?

Did tens of thousands of registered voters just forget to bring their ID on Tuesday?

[​IMG]

WritersPanic likes this.
  16. Aerianne

17. onceburned

onceburned Banned

there needs to be a voter ID card provided when you register to vote. doing so would lessen the amount of voter fraud.

18. What we really need in Georgia is a better class of candidates. Neither one of these people running for governor provide the kind of quality the office should have. Instead each has their own brand of entitled bickering while making promises they can't possibly keep. Just once I'd like to see Georgia elect an actual business-savvy professional to the governor's seat. Instead, it's one crony after another.

19. soulcompromise

ugh... lol brand toxicity. Tastes like Trump!

20. The state has never had a square thinker in the governor's chair, just a long string of cronies. I suggest business-savvy leadership because the state wastes so much money on boondoggles and half measures. The state has had a water war going with Alabama and Florida for decades and there is friction with Tennessee as well. And that's just one of the badly-managed issues that's costing the state millions needlessly.

Nobody runs on that platform. They run on social issues, shit we humans haven't been able to fix for thousands of years. Or they pay lip service by promising to fix potholes and the like. All the while bowing to the farm lobby.

onceburned and soulcompromise like this.