About The Slaves Being 3/5 Human In The Constitution

Discussion in 'History' started by Motion, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

I'm sure some of you have heard that the slaves were declared to be 3/5 human in the U.S constitution. This lady provides a response to this.

2. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Over the years I've seen various people in the media saying this 3/5 was about the amount of the slave's humanity. So that's how I had always known it. Even when I listened to a historian talking on this it sometimes sounded like he was referring to how much a full person people were. I can see how some people could get it twisted if they weren't aware that the 3/5 was about a population count.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

You want to know why they counted slaves at all in apportionment, when they couldn't vote?
    Because their inclusion in the census gave slave states 30% more representation in the House of Representatives and the Electoral College.
    Slavery and minority rule baked into the Constitution (Article 1, Section 2, Clause 3); how twisted is that?

Meanwhile, in other news:
    Only 25% of Americans identify as Republican. Democratic senators represent nearly 40 million more voters than Republican senators, but Republicans hold half the seats. California has 70 times as many people as the state of Wyoming – but each state still gets two senators. Due to changing demographics, by 2040 70% of Americans are expected to live in the 15 largest states, and to be represented by only 30 senators, while 30% of Americans will have 70 senators voting on their behalf.
    You can bloody well guess which 30% that will be.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Tishomingo likes this.