??? about a story

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Duck, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I am writing a story about a murderer. It has a lot of philosophical involvement. The murderer narrorates (sp?) it. I was thinking of having the murder not described in detail and have it's main focus on the murderer's beliefs and his psyche. But, the actaul murder seems essential, so instead I will include some of that stuff during the murder. My question is:
    Is it good to use symbolism to describe a character's thoughts?

2. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

3. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Have him be a cannibal.

Or better yet, a zombie, which is like a super cannibal.

4. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

AHAHAHA :D ha :D ahahaha :D

5. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Okay... let me ask you a question.

You go to a funeral and meet this really awesome cute girl there but don't get her phone number. You manage to find out who her sister is, then you kill her sister. Why would you kill her sister?

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I understand what you are saying I guess I should have worder the question differently. Is it good to use symbolism for a character's thoughts?

7. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

id say something, but my friends and i might use it for a movie in the future, so sorry....id say, have the murderer speak all poetically about what he is doing to his victims...make him think he is doing some sort of good with what he does, but not make it psycho 'good' but like, murdering the evils out of society...

but to pertain to your question...have him speak metaphorically and poetically as he kills, but if he reads the newspaper, or watches tv about himself, then point out the reality to reveal his true nature...always thought double-psyche's were interesting

8. Orsino2

It's really a personal preference, but as for me, I like throwing around a lot of thoughts that can make sense to people in more than one way (more than just the thought you had in mind). As far as writing goes, I think about it poetically and poetry is something I've never been one to question. I feel things should make sense to yourself but they have to make sense to people in ways that make them second guess and not really pick it up to their full understanding. It keeps them questioning the author and sensing a sense of suspense, yet, readers shouldn't be sure of something in this kind of thing and you shouldn't bring a thought into the limelight unless it's MAJOR.

9. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

you could also have the guy tell the urders from his point of view, let the audience feel that he is athe good guy, then at the last bit, have him be arrested adn his muders revelaed.....or like half way through then expliain it...that would also be cool

10. puddin

puddin Banned

Somehow involve a midget into the narrative. Stories are much better with midgets in them.

11. Orsino2

That's too physical, I think... and very "Clue-esque"... my personal preference is towards more mental things, but that's just me.

12. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

pardon, but may i ask what "clue-esque" is?...i don't follow...

ya, i can see how mental things in a book would be more better, its just with me, i always think of things that could be a film, cause thats where, if i got a story, where i expand on it...

13. Chris L

Chris L Member

Read The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe. It might give you some ideas.

14. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

i love poe...great writer...and not just his "gpthic" poems and stories, but his love poems are brilliant and his satires are hilarious