Abortion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mui, May 28, 2004.

1. Gabino

Gabino Member

Abortion...
    It is;

[1] Taking a Life which is not cool,
    [2] Far worse than eating meat,
    [3] And not the same as deciding to use drugs, or ignoring seat belts {personal choice issues} since another life is involved.
    To oppose medical testing on animals, or eating pork, but at the same time to favor abortion --- ridiculous.

& Since this is the Political Forum,
    Abortion is also,
    [1] The reason the republicans control the House, the Senate, and the White House,
    [2] The one way the libertarians, if they would reverse their pro-abortion stance, could actually become a viable political party,
    [3] And the one issue that would, by the same move, instantly put democrats back into control.

2. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

That is a very pro-life, and therefore biased site.

The Doe v. Bolton case makes exceptions for physical and emotional circumstances. Not financial.

That is not what I meant. A doctor will not abort a fetus in a trimester such as the third, which has restrictions on it, just from the woman telling him she is poor.

Some of us have no opposition to eating meat. I certainly don't care if people eat meat or not. Why do you think it is worse?

If I use drugs and/or alcohol and go out driving and kill someone, it involves another life.

To oppose abortion and at the same time support the death penatly --- ridiculous.

3. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

That is an ad hominem attack, utterly devoid of content.

It also includes "familial" circumstances, i.e. having "too many" kids.

How do you know? What law would prevent this? Moreover, what medical circumstances would make abortion (vs. premature delivery) an absolute necessity so late in pregnancy?

The reverse is far more ridiculous. (See my signature quote.)

4. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Gabino,

You make some good points. It is ludicrous for a party that supposedly champions the rights of the downtrodden to stridently support that wanton violence of abortion. As you note, it is also politically self-defeating. I and many other pro-life progressives would bolt to the Democratic party in an instant, if they would break free from the grip of the pro-abortion lobby.

Check out http://www.democratsforlife.org.

5. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

You are totally deluded if you think abortion is the ticket to getting elected. Besides the obvious (how did pro-choice presidents get elected? DUH!), the fact is Republicans will always promise and never deliver. The fastest way for the Republicans to completely self destruct would be to actually try banning abortion.

If you think voting Republican is voting anti-abortion, you are a sucker.

6. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

Assuming that a fetal life is a unborn children is really dumb. If it was really an unborn children then why can't it just become a born children ? Well it can't because its... a fetus! Not an "unborn children".

Do you people actually think there is an actual kid in here just waiting since the beginning or what ? We're in the 21st century people its time to learn some scientific facts and lay off the religious book.

Now, if its about complications at a late stage people can argue and argue whether the woman should have the choice or not. I won't get into that.

7. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Carter got elected because Ford pardoned Nixon. Clinton got elected because Bush was oblivious to the economic recession.

They've never had the chance, because of a tyrannical judiciary. However, while the public might not support a total ban at this point, a clear majority supports meaningful restrictions like informed consent, parental notification, no taxpayer subsidies, and banning partial birth infanticide.

"Fetus" is just Latin for "offspring." It is not substantively different from "child" or "baby." Ever hear a pregnant woman talk about the "fetus" in her womb?

I'm quite familar with fetal development. If abortionists were required to show ultrasounds to women, few would opt for abortion.

Scientifically, human life undeniably begins at conception. What other form of life could an embryo or fetus possibly be?

8. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

No, Clinton got elected because people voted for him.

Any Republican that tried to implement a jihad style ban abortion and imprison women and doctors policy would last about five minutes.

9. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

Actually, it had nothing to do with you. I simply do not pay any attention to "facts" from biased sources. Pro-life or pro-choice. They both have their own agendas.

A woman should be permitted to get an abortion for any reason whatsoever in the first trimester. After that, well, like I said to begin with, the states are free to set the laws themselves.

Forty states have laws right now restricting post-viabilty abortion. They are simply not done for frivolous reasons. They are done if the fetus is suffering from a severe birth defect detected later in pregnancy, or if the fetus is malformed. Usually in these cases, an abortion is much less traumatic (physically) for the woman than giving birth, perhaps to a stillborn. It depends on what the woman wants, however. But if giving birth will cause harm to the mother, then obviously a premature delivery is not advisable.

10. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

There are laws against infanticide. There is, however, no infant involved in an abortion procedure.

Some people just prefer to use the medically correct term.

I have had three children. I have had at least two or three ultrasounds with each of them. I am very familiar with fetal development. Yet I still support a woman's right to choose an abortion if she feels it is the right thing to do.

I would not argue against the fact that a life begins at conception. What I look at is whether or not that life is more valuable than the one of the already born woman sustaining it.

11. Erin

Erin Member

pro-choice... chose to wear a freaken condom or choose to have a kid.

abortion up to 3 months only if their is a valid medical reason or the mother is in exceptional circumstances.

12. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Hmmm abortion is a personal choice

I am anti it in theory but in reality things are harder than they seem. Those who havent been in those circumstances can't understand really

it should be down to the individual woman everytime

it is not for anyone to judge but herself

Love Learning and Freedom Clairexxx

13. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Why, because the head is still in the birth canal when the brains are sucked out?

What kind of life is it, then?

That argument is only valid if the mother's life is truly threatened.

Try actually engaging the material. If it's so obviously wrong, the demonstrate this. Outright dismissal is a total copout.

So says Roe v. Wade, but not the Constitution itself.

Only if these laws have gaping loopholes required by the courts.

Provide some specific references. I wager that all such laws have "health" exceptions that are broad enough to drive a truck through. Again, read the language of Doe v. Bolton: "emotional, familial" etc.

Mercy killing, huh? I guess it's better to be decapitated and dismembered than born with a defect.

What "harm" warrants the extreme cruelty of literally hacking an unborn baby to pieces?

14. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

a life begins and a life ends. theres no set expiry date. a life can be extinguished at any time some by the choise of others. it seems every one uses murder as an example to make their pro life statemant, but they never make a point about exacutions.

15. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

As always, a "pro-lifer" using vagueness and strong words against someone who talked correct, non-biased language.

Duh, so human life only because it has human DNA is the same as an human life capable of awareness.

Giving life a chance, huh ? I guess choosing that an individual with a severe handicap be created is more important rather than having the 2nd chance to let a healthy individual be created.
    What is being "decapitated and dismembered" is certainly not an individuals' life.

16. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

Just because abortion is legal doesn't mean you have to have one. If you think abortion is wrong than don't do it. Simple as that.

Life doesn't start when the baby is concived, the sperm is life, the egg is life. Is it murder when a guy shoots his wad in the shower, instead of inside a woman? Or is he murdering all the the sperm that don't infuse with the egg? Or could you consider a woman's menstrual cycle murder because she looses an egg with each cycle?

Now that cloning technology exists, almost any cell can be grown into a potential life. This undermines the argument that a cell is a person. A mass of cells ins't a person, or a baby yet. Just because the potential is there doesn't mean it is still, in fact, a baby.

75% of first pregnancy's miscarriage. If you consider abortion murder, than this must be manslaughter.

17. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

If my language is somehow "vague," maybe a picture will help.

18. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

19. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

Yeah. Pretty much. :(

Seriously, though. The only time it's done is in extreme circumstances. A woman typically does not go through six, seven, eight months of a healthy pregnancy and all of a sudden say, "oh fuck it, I think I'll have an abortion!"

Obviously a human one. But not more important than that of the woman in whose body it resides.

You forgot to add "in my opinion".

That site downloaded a whole bunch of spyware onto my computer. I am not going back to it. If you like, you can provide me with any of your other sources and I will be glad to look them over.

No, but it has been interpreted to include abortion as a privacy issue.

Perhaps the laws are vague in regards to what constitutes a "health exception". They are leaving it up to a doctor to decide, which is the right way to do it. I would rather have my doctor looking out for my health than a bunch of politicians and judges.

You'd still be hard pressed to find a doctor who will abort a healthy seven month fetus because the woman wants him to, though.

New York, where I live, has laws to prosecute women who have abortions past the twenty-fourth week. I will have to check into that for you if you want to see official documents or whatnot.

Decapitated? Are they doing a new procedure that I have never heard of now?

To me? Any harm at all. Please understand though, that most of the "extreme cruelty of hacking an unborn baby to pieces" if it will cause harm to a woman is done on a wanted fetus.

20. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Neither gametes nor any other cells can develop as human beings, unless they are genetically modified. Once this transformation has occurred, whether through fertilization or cloning, then a new life has begun.

Miscarriage is accidental.