Abortion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Oct 13, 2011.

1. MellowViper

MellowViper Member

I think abortion should only be available to underage girls, rape victims, and women with health complications, like heart problems. I think it should be illegal for virtually everything else though. I'm not sure though. I do have some fundamental issues with abortion. What I don't get with a lot of the conservatives is they're against abortion, but they're also against sex education, contraception, and subsidies that would help single mothers.

2. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

In my 20's when my girlfriend got pregnant I truly believe we made the right decision to get the abortion. I had a huge drinking problem and she did too with a drug problem on top of it. I'm glad we had the choice.
    That being said I believe there should be more rights for the male in the decision. As it stand now we have none at all. If she decides to terminate the pregnancy it's solely her right. And if she decides to keep it and puts the mans name on the birth certificate he is responsible for the child whether he wanted it or not. If there is going to be a choice there should be a choice for everyone involved.

3. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

That's called infanticide, by the way.

A friend of mine once said that abortion should be legal up until the "fetus" reaches the age of 18 years. She was joking. :D
    ...I think.
    :leaving:

4. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Here's how I see it. My body, my rule, my law. If there's something violating the sanctity of my body- whether it be cancer, a man's penis, or a fetus- I have the right to eliminate it. No one should be forced to carry a child against their will.

5. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

If you have a fetus in your body, there is a 99.9% chance you participated in putting it there and so you are making that fetus pay for your mistake. So if you don't want a fetus "violating the sanctity of my body", may I suggest the responsible use of contraception.

6. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

But no contraceptive is 100% effective

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I've always been anti-abortion ...but some of these responses made me think that some children would be better off aborted

8. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Just curious, how does a fetus pay?

9. Allons-y!

Allons-y! Member

I personally don't believe it is a baby until it is born. Until then it's a fetus and a part of the woman's body. So I believe that the woman should have the right to do with it as she pleases. No matter the reason. Even if it's her 5th abortion because she can't bother to take precautions, I would support her right to do it.

Personally, I don't think I would get an abortion. I can't say 100% because I haven't been in a situation to consider it. But I want to have children, so right now if I found myself pregnant due to contraceptive failure, I'd most likely keep it.

As for father's rights, they should be able to state their wish, but it is ultimately the woman's decision. Sort of off topic but in the same vein, should the man wish for the woman to have an abortion and she decides not to, I don't think he should be required to pay child support if he does to wish to be a father to the future child. Or if the man decides he wants to keep the child and the woman does not but decides to carry it to term for him to raise on his own, she should not have to pay child support or be a mother. I hope that makes sense. It does in my mind :D

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

with its life

11. thedope

I don't understand. Life doesn't cost anything. Life is a gift, there is no fee save you reach for it. How much life does each and every individual deserve? What is a fair price to pay for life? Are we so very purposeful in all that we do that we believe that we give and take life? I think it far more likely we don't know what we are doing. It is far more likely that we do not know our function, i.e., why we are here, what we are responsible for and what we are not. It is far more likely that we do not know what is valuable and what is not.

It is not unusual in the animal kingdom for progeny to be aborted, nests and young abandoned for the sake of the sense of personal threat or environmental pressures.

If abortion is a problem for the human species it sure doesn't show up in our population figures. It is very much a problem for those who cannot conceive of a world without guilt.

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

let;s try with it's soul then :rolleyes:

13. thedope

Seems an abstraction. If someone were to kill me I don't see how I will have been harmed. I have my life lived to the extent that I have it, and that is so of every living creature.

14. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There's a chance, depending on if I use contraceptive or not, which I personally do very responsibly... but if that 1% were to make it through, sure as hell I'd abort it.
    And I don't care if its a fetus or whatever.... regardless of how it got there, it is my decision alone what to do with it. don't like abortions, don't get them.

15. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

You have such a wonderful way of expressing the Zen/Taoist perspective! :) Like a good koan, many of your posts make me think about issues from angles that I wouldn't have come up with on my own.

And some of them are just weird! :dizzy2: :tongue: :wink:

16. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I don't see that it pays with it's life, because it has yet to attain the level of life. And as for soul, I think that would be synonymous with having a brain, and some ability to use it, subconsciously or otherwise.

So it would seen that first trimester abortions are just fine....

17. thedope

It always takes two. Without the breeze I suppose I wouldn't feel the wind.

Te he, what degree is just weird? Peculiar, bizarre, or disjointed from reality?

18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Without a human ear there to hear it, does a tree falling in the forest make a sound? Yes, it says, "shit". ;)

Maybe it only means that I don't get it. :D Sometimes I'm feeling too lazy to figure things out when I log on here.

It only hit me recently that the alleged "right to life" is the only moral or legal right I have ever heard of that is valued only by those who presently have it. Rights are usually treasured greatly by those who have been deprived of them, but in this case, we can only project that emotional attachment onto those who are not alive at a given moment.

Of course, a true Zen master could make that same point with about a third as many words, and make it sound a hell of a lot cooler. :cool:

19. MellowDonna

MellowDonna Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Rick Perry now says he is against all abortion even in the case of rape or incest,...

Tea baggers scare the hell out of me.

We've had a Richard for a President, but his was a Tricky Dick :smilielol5:

Doubt we'll have a President Rick. :hide:

20. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth when you used the words President and rick in the same sentence. :(