Abortion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

YoMama posted this in another thread and I thought the issue should have its own thread.

“i wish there were not so many people thinking that abortion is a right. You have a right to prevent pregnancy and take responsibility for your actions too. you have a right to learn enough about your body to know when you are ovulating but that would take some serious awareness.

I bet there are a lot of women on anti depressants who have had abortions and cannot admit to themselves they were wrong.

Everyone of you are here because someone decided for whatever reason not to kill you when you were the most vulnerable. Many of whom never even considered it to be an option.”

2. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

As a youth I had a blind date with a girl who had just had an abortion that week and not speaking to right or wrong, just being with her I could tell that something very bad and "unnatural" had happened to her.

As for abortion, I do not believe that abortion should be used as a method of birth control, I have no problem with a person deciding for themselves if abortion is a viable option in the case of incest, rape or if the pregnancy threatens their life.

Other than that, I believe in pro-choice, I just believe that choice should be made before conception and not after and abortion should never be used as a method of birth control.

And yes, I know that there is no way to justly legislate what I just said but that is the way I think people should view it.

3. hippiepeece

hippiepeece Member

I'm pro-choice! The choice to get pregnant or not! I only support it if you have been raped, very early in the pregnancy, like still at embryotic stage!

I hear women crying "women's rights!" what about children's rights? What about a child that did not choose to be conceived? What about a child that has a right to life? You had your women's rights when you decided to open your legs. Sorry, thats when your rights end.

4. loganm35

loganm35 Member

I agree for the most part. Incest is kind of a touchy subject though. An incest pregnancy should never happen in my opinion (unless it's rape), but if it does happen, I believe the pregnancy should go through. Every child deserves a chance, and I read around a little bit and there are ways to make it a healthy pregnancy to try and prevent deformations, disabilities, and sickness.

I feel this is just like any other case of accidental pregnancy.

5. primalflow

primalflow Member

I can agree with the rape thing, but personally, I would still have the baby.

Other than being completely unnatural an irresponsible, my biggest qualm with abortion is that every aborted person may have been the one who would have changed the world the way it needs to be changed.

Now I'm not Christian, and I know this sounds silly, but it does illustrate the point quite well. I heard a comedian say that someone had asked him "What if Jesus had been aborted?"
    You can't know that you're not aborting the next Gandhi or Mandela or...

6. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

If you are fully convinced, as I am, that human life begins at birth rather than conception, then the rest of the abortion debate is of no consequence.

Up until recently, nearly every human society has operated on the assumption that life begins at birth. Your age is not counted from conception. You celebrate your birthday, not your conception day. Miscarriages are not named, and they aren't given funerals or burial plots, according to tradition in any of the world's major religions.

Under (Jewish) Old Testament law, a violent act that results in a miscarriage is punishable by a fine, even if the pregnancy is in the ninth month. If the same action causes the death of an infant, the perpetrator may receive the death penalty.

Have you noticed that it is mostly men who are outspoken in their pro-life positions? For them, pregnancy is something theoretical to be debated, without risk of personal consequences. Most women are pro-choice, whether they publicly admit it or not. Especially if they haven't reached menopause. We like knowing the option is there, even if we don't plan to use it. And we especially don't want men having input into the decision.

I doubt that many pro-choice women will speak up in this thread, presenting themselves for verbal target practice by conservative men. Most would rather go to the polls on election day and vote by secret ballot. ;)

You could say the same thing about any missed opportunity to have as many babies as possible. Ready to outlaw condoms?

7. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Abortion is kind of an old debate, though a viable discussion to have.

I think any medical procedure is left up to individuals and their doctors. I'm not about to say Johnny can't get a blood transfusion to save his life because God wouldn't approve, or Nancy shouldn't be allowed to get implants for her 16th birthday since her parents gave her the money.

8. OlderWaterBrother

I didn't say I agreed with abortion for any case, it is just that I believe that in the cases I mentioned that the person who is pregnant in those cases would have the right to choose for themselves.

9. OlderWaterBrother

Ex. 21:22, 23: “In case men should struggle with each other and they really hurt a pregnant woman and her children do come out but no fatal accident occurs, he is to have damages imposed upon him without fail according to what the owner of the woman may lay upon him; and he must give it through the justices. But if a fatal accident should occur, then you must give soul for soul.” (Some translations make it appear that in this law to Israel the crucial matter was what happened to the mother, not to the fetus. The original Hebrew text, however, refers to a fatal accident to either mother or child.)

10. OlderWaterBrother

If you "especially don't want men having input into the decision", perhaps you should just leave them out of the conception process in the first place. Then there wouldn't be any need for a decision to leave them out of. :)

11. willedwill

willedwill Member

No way, really? But is the world turning to the definition of what freedom of Choice entails. Can we choose pain.:biker:

12. hippiepeece

hippiepeece Member

I'm not, So it's not.

This is kind of irellevant.

Rightfully So!

It's not theoretical, and it does have consequences, like guilt for the rest of your life wondering what could have been.

It sure took a man to help make the baby! If I found out I got a woman pregnant and then I found out that bitch got an abortion... I'd abort her. She would fucking disappear! It is also the man's baby too and he should have a say in the decision.

I'm not conservative and your argument is at best, quasi-feminist. You can go to the polls and vote for whatever mass murderer you want.

No, but women should be ready to use one if the dumbasses don't want to get pregnant!

13. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I'm familiar with the concept of abstinence. :rolleyes: Besides its popularity with my grandparents' generation, it is also the only birth control method that can legally be mentioned in any public school in this state (according to a close friend who is a high school teacher).

I'm sure you will be happy to hear that many young girls, wanting to eliminate any risk of accidental pregnancy, are now choosing sodomy, sucking dick, and lesbian encounters with friends, over 'normal' sex. A friend's daughter tells me that all her female friends have tried vaginal sex (with condoms) a few times, but they have mostly moved on to other options. The horny young guys are reportedly very happy with anal penetration, but the girls are often content to fuck each other in a variety of ways that are more comfortable, sometimes with sex toys taken from the collections of mothers or older sisters.

It's interesting to watch my friends age and change their views on abortion as their daughters get older. Suddenly, they can think of things that are far worse, such as getting stuck raising an unwanted grandchild, or having a daughter in middle school become an expert on every creative sexual practice ever invented, or knowing that she feels considerable pressure to push herself to become more of a bisexual even if her natural interest in it is limited. Possibly the worst of all possible outcomes is an unwanted pregnancy that leads to an ill-advised early marriage to the wrong guy, and later, to all the terrible things associated with a bad marriage and divorce.

You see, abstinence requires perfection, and the parents of adolescents usually know all too well that their kids are a long way from perfect - just like they were at that age. They have to face reality. They know that second chances are sometimes an absolute necessity. Reality is messy.

I guess you know that the wealthy will always have abortion as an option, as long as there are airplanes that fly to Europe every day. Only poor and middle class women risk having their medical rights taken away. :(

Always pick the translation that supports your position. ;) Until a few years ago, I never saw a translation that didn't use the word 'miscarriage' there. And the folks who claim to know more about the original texts than the professional translators are the ones I trust the least. They are always trying to support a political position.

So nice to meet future criminals like you online. :rolleyes: Welcome to my "Ignore List". And go fuck yourself.

Balbus,

Are you able to see yet why a thread about this subject is a really bad idea? Both sides always make the exact same points, nobody changes anybody's mind, and people end up freshly frustrated and angry that not everyone agrees with their position, which seems so obviously true to them.

In hindsight, all pro-choice members should have ignored this thread, and let the pro-life male bullies enjoy assuming that no one here dares to disagree with them; a worthless victory.

There is nothing left to debate on this topic; no room for compromise. All that's left is for both sides to work as hard as they possibly can to defeat the other side.

14. lode

lode Banned

A fetus isn't conscious. It doesn't feel pain or think.

You're not creating a potential person sure. You're also doing the same by wearing ruber around your wang. It's morally the same thing as never having gotten pregnant.

So, it is an alternative to birth control. Not a good one since it's more expensive and more taxing.

15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Perhaps we should make it popular again.
    Some people could really benefit from it.

Not agreeing with you doesn't really make them bullies, lol.
    Don't accuse others of what you are doing.

16. MissCyanide

MissCyanide Member

If silly kids had protected sex in the first place there wouldn't be so many visits to the clinic asking to abort. I'm young, I don't wanna get pregnant right now and what do I do to prevent this? contraception.

I'll agree that killing your own child is not right and it does leave many women under a lot of grief and turmoil though when you look at a lot of irresponsible mothers do tend to go through with the baby -- why cant they just wrap it up?

17. SuperPsychMe

SuperPsychMe Member

I don't think wearing a condom and aborting a fetus are on the same level, call me crazy.

My view on this? I don't even know. I just think chicks should close their legs if the guy doesn't have a rubber on. Either a lot of people are idiots and don't understand the consequences or putting on a condom is extremely hard.

18. OlderWaterBrother

Quite honestly I wasn't talking about the concept of abstinence, I was talking about if you want to leave the man out of the decision process then leave him out of the conception process. [​IMG]

19. OlderWaterBrother

As I've already mentioned I have no political agenda here, because there is no way to solve this with politics or legislated laws. It is a personal decision to be made by the two people involved in the creation of the child in the first place.

As for picking a translation, fine pick any one you want and I will show from it how the Bible feels about the child in the womb.

20. lode

lode Banned

That can be done very easily though the over 50% of men who won't be around by the time conception comes around.