Abbey Road Studios

Discussion in 'Music' started by ~Zen~, Mar 18, 2024.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Fascinating place, some of the best music of recent times has been recorded there.

Perhaps @wilsjane has some thoughts about this legendary recording studio.

I found this little video that is quite interesting, about a former bomb shelter in the place used as an echo chamber...

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Aside from the Beatles 'Abbey Road' what other albums or recordings made there that had an impact on you?

3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Not being into popular music, I never visited Abbey Road, but I heard a couple of their recordings and they were exceptional.
    Watching the video you posted, I can see why, since their is no substitute for natural acoustics and they had some good natural reverb times. The engineers also knew how to record them. The irony was that lack of funding no doubt lead to outstanding results. Recording drums in the lobby really worked, then playing the recording and re-recording with the rest of the band would have given them exceptional clarity. The concrete pipes would have been far better than cabinets costing thousands.
    9 cubic, just right, downward port even better. I loved the comment about the mish mash stereo. Mish mash with a cross over pair is streets ahead of multi channel mixing.

Around that time Decca constructed a new studio, to replace ffrr (full frequency range recording) with their new "phase four stereo spectacular.
    The equipment would with it's 24 channels was outstanding and everything was 100%, that was except the music. I had never heard as much phase shift, intermodulation distortion and clipping. I did admit to them, that I was not appreciating the 24 channels to their full and agreed to return after I had grown 22 additional ears. Needles to say, the ears did not grow and I never went back.
    Almost all opera recordings moved to DGG in Germany.

~Zen~ likes this.