A young hippie forced to get a job.

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by Light and Day, May 27, 2004.

1. Light and Day

Light and Day Member

What do I do!?

Sorry if this is in the wrong area but i used my best judgement.

I am 17 years young and I live with my father who is making me get a normal job for the summer. Now I realise this shouldnt be any big deal to most people. It's just what you do, right. But I hate it, and I dont want all the shit you can buy with the money. So, here I am trying to think of what else I can do to make money in order to satisfy my father but will not make me feel like a slave to a system. I would like selling my tie-dye T-shirts and hemp necklaces. I love sitting in the sun, getting high, listening to music while making those.

Perhaps in another year or so when I am ready to move out and survive on my own I will consider joining a commune. Zendik isn't far from here (I live in Georgia).

Anyway, your advice will be deeply appreciated.

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I can't find a job, either. Half the places I go to tell me not to even bother with an application because they aren't hiring and won't be. One guys was like, "Surely there's a job out there for a pretty girl like you."

So I guess I'm fated to be a street walking whore. :)

3. redheadedstranger

redheadedstranger Member

i thought i was the only one! i've got to get a "real" job to save up to move out west this summer. i've been living off student loans, day jobs & parttime gigs for a couple years now. but that's not going to pay my way west.

i can't even get a job at petsmart and i just finished a BA!

*sob*

4. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

You sound alot like my daughter. She doesn't want a job either. Right now she doesn't see the need for it. You are both young. If you enjoy making t-shirts and jewelry then go with that. That is how people end up with buisnesses of their own. You sound creative. That's awesome. Down the road you'll see that
    the benefits of working is more of a necessity than anything else that's unless it's more of a creative outlet for you than a job. Do what makes you happy and run with it.

5. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

Commercial sex worker, please. And it's not the worst job in the world -- good pay, easy work, meet interesting people. The main downside is our culture that stigmatizes it and makes it unsafe for people in the field by not providing protection that is the right of all workers.

6. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

fuck,

i thought it was gonna be "forced to cut my hair" damn;)

7. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Tke the job, save the money, buy a van and paint TYE DYES FOR SALE on the outside of it in dayglo psycadelic writing. There are many many days when I wish I had done exactly that.

8. Light and Day

Light and Day Member

Thats exactly what I'll do. A van would be fun to have and I can probably find an old cheap one. I actually have a so so car (looks like something to drive to the office in) but i could trade it in if i really wanted to follow this kind of career. again thanks.

9. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Happy to be of assistance :)

10. Jezmund

Jezmund Member

I've heard some bad things about Zendik man. I would strongly advise against it. theres like one head honcho and the rest are like worker drones man. You will have no say whatsoever if you move there. All your personal belongings will be taken away and what not. its not a pretty picture.

ever heard of the farm in summertown, TN. I think its the oldest commune in the US. very democratic and liberal too. but you would still be a worker drone in the begginning.

If I were you I would find a commune thats just starting out. relatively new with a small population. You'll have more power and be less controled. Communes are also a form of government you know and often times very oppresive. just be careful man.

11. Light and Day

Light and Day Member

I agree, that doesn't sound very cool at all. Still I think I wanna buy Wulf Zendik's auto biographical book, learn what I can from it and leave it at that. They seem to cross the line of a commune and a cult, even though they deny that they are a cult. If all the bad things are true then I can't think of a better example of a cult. And I'm certainly not looking for oppression. I can get plenty of that right here in my house, at my school, on the streets ect.

12. tom

tom Member

[

Don't be too down about it. It's a good deal. I think all of us would rather be making tie dyes and necklaces to make a few bucks but sometimes that just not gonna cut it. Work the crappy job until ya can make something else work for you.
    As for not wanting all the shit ya don't want that money can buy, that includes a lot, like rent, water, electricity, food, clothing, gas in your or your pops car. Someones gotta pay for it. Ya can look at it like you're still young and you shouldn't have to pay for that stuff or you can look at like your family just being a mini-commune where all contribute.
    Not trying to nock you. I was in your shoes a few years ago. I wish someone would've forced me to get a job and have sort of responsibility when I was 17 whether it was flipping taco's or selling stuff at the market. Would've been a good lesson, helped me a lot in the long run.
    Anyways, that's just me sounding like an old man. Take it easy.

13. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

The Farm is pretty cool.. but it has kind of sold out. I don't really know a whole lot about it, but most of the people I ask about it are like, "Don't even get me started." So I don't. :)